Author Topic: YSU vs WVU  (Read 88816 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs WVU
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
I would love to see a win but we have too many questions that need to be answered.  Will our WR's play the game of there life.  We now this is not a strength right now.  Lots of unproven talent.  We need a good showing from our TE's.  Don't see an Adams there.  Davis  will have to hit 70% of his throws to give us a chance.  How will he react playing in front of 60k and he can't just tuck it and run every play.  Ruiz needs 20+ carries, Webb needs to fill Stubbs role.  The wild card is Monty will we go up tempo to neutralize their athletes.  Our punter has 2 career punts don't see that sneaking past WV.  Will we keep WV from scoring on special teams?  We tend to give one of those up in these type of games.  Missouri took the deep ball away and defenses against against Wv's screen game.  Wv countered with a short to intermediate adjustment which we have been not able to defend that stuff.  They had almost 200 yds from there Rb's.  If we were a Tressel built tried and tested team . I saw we have a better shot..  Davis hasn't done enough for me to see us pulling out a surprise.  He is no Hess, zetts or even Ryan.  I hope he proves me wrong. Defense wins championships maybe our D will provide us the spark we need.  I just want us to get better.  Davis needs to get his reps and get better.  It's all about the conference and beating WV means Squanto if we don't do well in conference play.  The Pitt game was a wasted win after what happened the rest of season.
Good post YSUGO..Tucking it and running it against W.V. and at least 4 other conference oppenents will be a challenge unlike Duquesne. I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 quarterbacks play in this game. We need to keep their defense off balanced as possible. Wells could be our best option for passing this Saturday, but it's time to see what Ricky can do throwing against a quality defense   

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
The Pitt game was a wasted win after what happened the rest of season.

Yep.  Trade that win for one against ILS or SDSU and the Guins make the playoffs.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »
Anyone know where the folks selling extra tickets tend to congregate outside Milan Puskar Stadium?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
Power, you are right, we should try to get along with their fans. They aren't that far away from us. Plus, fans from any school can be rowdy.

I had breakfast with my friend this morning. He played TE for Missouri and he went to game last week. He said the older WVU fans were OK but the students were really rowdy. Some of their fans were apologizing for the bad behavior of the students.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
Power, you are right, we should try to get along with their fans. They aren't that far away from us. Plus, fans from any school can be rowdy.

I had breakfast with my friend this morning. He played TE for Missouri and he went to game last week. He said the older WVU fans were OK but the students were really rowdy. Some of their fans were apologizing for the bad behavior of the students.

Did you ever hear our student section? I cannot believe we do not get a sideline violation every game ... LOL Those guys are crazy ...crazy good. A little crude, so I would not recommend parents sit with the kids on that side.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »

Did you ever hear our student section? I cannot believe we do not get a sideline violation every game ... LOL Those guys are crazy ...crazy good. A little crude, so I would not recommend parents sit with the kids on that side.

Yes, I know. My son abandoned me (reserved seat) for couple of games to sit with the students when he was a student here. He said the cops got involved couple of times with warning.

My buddy said they were harassed by the students in the parking lot in WVU when his group of fans (all dressed in Missouri gears) walking into the students.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »
Well darn. Looks like you were right Fever. According to this, they aren't sleeping on the penguins. Also of note, WVU did receive votes in the poll this week, albeit not getting ranked. Oh, and they called Derek Rivers a "nuisance" lol. I guess our chances are lower than I initially was thinking, as their starting QB will play on Saturday. Still going to be hopeful, but I guess we will see. One thing that will likely help, they just started preparing for Saturday's game today. Maybe the fact that we had more time will help a bit?

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2016/9/6/12816306/dana-holgorsen-press-conference-west-virginia-mountaineers-wvu-week-two-youngstown-state-penguins

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »
Also of note from the Q&A: "Missouri laid back a bit and relied on the front four. Do you expect a few more looks from Youngstown State in terms of what they bring like blitz?"

"Umm... no... I mean, they yanno, they don't blitz a whole lot. And missouri could do it because they were so damn good, their DT's were anywhere from 305 to 365. A bit of a load, and 91 was disruptive. In Youngstown, I feel like, I mean their two ends are pretty active. So, if they are going to empty the box and keep their safeties deep, like they did against Duquense, we are going to run the ball about 99% of the time. So if they start getting those guys involved, they will bring a blitz off this edge (pointing right) or a blitz off this edge (pointing left), or they will bring their safeties down this way. We gotta identify what they are doing and we gotta be able to attack it in the appropriate way.

"What gets the FCS teams into trouble, they're scholarship players, their depth. I mean their starters are going to be.. not a whole lot different in talent, until you get down to the 2nd stringers. Thats what usually gets them, more than anything. Its not the frontline guys.

We gotta be really really really on guard with that, because our opportunities are not going to be great. They aren't going to come in here and try to do what Missouri did and try to run 100 plays, and have 15 or 16 possessions. It's what William and Mary did, it's what JMU did, it's what Liberty did, they are going to limit how many snaps we can get by what they do offensively. They are only defending about 55 snaps a game at Youngstown. That's why that JMU score was really close and William and Mary score was close as well."

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »
Tweet from Charles Grove:

"Just got out of #YSUs press conf. Ricky Davis said the team showed almost none of their playbook against Duquesne but will show all vs WVU"

Their QB sounds like he's still not serviceable. Hurts to breathe and walk to class?  I'm sure getting plowed into the turf will be ok tho.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:41 PM »
Go ahead and underestimate our defense. Let's see how that works out for them.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »
I plan on going to the game but I don't have a ticket yet.  Any suggestions on the best way to get a ticket at this point?  I live in Pittsburgh so it's only about 1.5 hours away.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Their head coach called our defense, "extremely sound". As far as best way to get a ticket, Nick, I have no idea at this point. Actually.... just looked at stub hub, and tickets in the area I got tickets at are now cheaper than what I paid! I recommend looking at stubhub today. Man, thats nuts.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:01:21 AM by The YO Show »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
 Optimistic is one thing, but from the comments on this board, you guys make it sound like we are playing a Division 3 school.  There is a reason we are a 25 point underdog.   The guys in Vegas making the line know what they are doing.

West Virginia manhandled Missouri, which is an SEC team.  We have yet to prove anything,  don't get too overly excited about beating a team from the NEC.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »
Optimistic is one thing, but from the comments on this board, you guys make it sound like we are playing a Division 3 school.  There is a reason we are a 25 point underdog.   The guys in Vegas making the line know what they are doing.

West Virginia manhandled Missouri, which is an SEC team.  We have yet to prove anything,  don't get too overly excited about beating a team from the NEC.

But, but , but they were a playoff team from last year....  ;)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »
I am not saying we will win, bit Missouri is overrated along with a large group from the SEC.  WVU is big on the line and it will cause us some trouble, but we are better equipped with a decent defense than we've been in several years.  With a running QB I expect to give them some trouble