Author Topic: YSU vs WVU  (Read 88747 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU vs WVU
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
I like that point Fever. Coach Carl's defenses are much less motion-oriented then several of his predecessors. So it is not as if they are more active than before. Although motion might be something we should consider adding. We would probably not have to bring up our safeties, outside of designed blitzes.

On offense, Davis was so "scrappy" even the opposing coaches remarked at the half. We just gave away the first 2-drives with stupid mistakes (almost turn over, then dropped pass and penalty) . The defense gave us stops and we did not take advantage.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
Just out of curiosity I looked at 2015 scores by quarter, and in nearly all MVFC games, we fade.  Some examples (numbers are scoring margins by quarter, ie, +3 = YSU outscored opponent by 3 points):

NDSU:  +7/+4/+3/-17

WIU:     +3/+3/-4/0

SIU:      0/+7/+1/-8/-7 (OT)

SDSU:   -5/-7/-4/-14

Definitely a pattern of fizzing out.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
I just looked at the on field thermometer and it did read a game high 128-degrees in relative temperature.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
Weather in Ytown during NDSU game last year.

Weather: Partly Cloudy
Temperature: 45
Wind: W 10 mph
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
Listened to the post game press show on the radio.  Coach Holgorsen was very kind and said good things about our effort. A couple of comments from him.  He thought we were well prepared and YSU came to play and it took a half to wake WVU up. The long passes for TD's were a result of our safeties having to come up to support our linebackers who could not plug the run holes.  Once they kept edging up, and they were involved in run stopping, and there was no threat of a blitz, their QB was able to launch his passes over our heads. he thought his team was conditioned well in the heat (none of WVU player had leg cramps) and it was just a matter of time when WVU would wear us down.  He was not happy with some calls from the officials but refused to comment on calls against YSU.  There were other comments but he seemed honest and fair in his press conference and heaped a lot of praise on YSU and said he knows we will have a successful season - we are good.

You bring up a good point about the safeties having to come up. It was obvious that we weren't getting any push up the middle from our LB. would a switch to a 3-4 defense have helped.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
I saw quite a few people trying to get rid of their tickets. Not too many needing to buy tickets.

Thanks for the info.