Author Topic: SDSUU...thoughts  (Read 44573 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSUU...thoughts
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
Power, we had 3 drives above 5-minutes each. The very first drive had me gasping at 7:53 in length. Not sure any of the Heacock teams ever did that. Have to go back to Tressel for one that long.

Maybe I got it mixed up, but yes the 7 minute drive was outstanding.  I think we punched it in too.

No you are right Power ...the last drive was 7-minutes as well & we took the knee. Another thing of beauty.

Yes we did punch in that first one ...unlike the previous week, which ended up with a 3-pointer and I think cost us the game. Any time we can drive the length of the field early, we need to score 6. Later in the game, I may not make the same decision, but I would have gone for it on fourth against WIU. It was less than a yard. I kind of feel that a team stopping us on downs ...or holding us to 3-points is the same thing early in a game (in terms of motivation for the other team). What do you think?

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of Wells going under center

I think that you have to be very careful making a 4th and 1 call.  Many factors would go into my decision, but I would have a card with my criteria ready in a game and I would have my grad assistants tracking it so I would be ready for the call.  I personally believe that you punt it and pin them back and get field position, and the defense has not shown us the ability to hold anyone until now. We had a relapse against WIU, but I feel like we can play well enough.  Just need to get better consistency and play every down.

We demonstrated the ability to have a "championship drive" on offense in the 4th quarter.  I hope the kids learned something from that.  I agree that Wells was a big factor, but we were also throwing the ball when necessary too.  Unlike several previous games where we sit on a lead.  Their defense had to respect our passing ability and as long as we demonstrated that we were going to use it they had to defend it.   We ended the game in dominating fashion.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:09:48 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
Sorry. I meant Wells being under center, as opposed to the shotgun. It does not seem as though we go under center as much with Dante taking the snaps. Then again, his legs help him there.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »
I was surprised, too.  I think the SDSU game all depends on which YSU team shows up. There's an opportunity here. Unfortunately, a loss to SDSU gives SDSU a tiebreaker advantage and probably means at best a 4th place finish for YSU given that Illinois State does not face NDSU this season. A 4th place finish will be a bubble position and means that that we would have to rely on the good graces of the selection committee. :(
Agreed--bottom line is what YSU team shows up.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Fifth year we can't do road trips.  A VERY bitter pill to swallow.  Those who will be there, cheer loudly enough for me (that's a big order).  We wish the team the best, go for it!  Toasting to you in the comforts of our home....
Wish we were there!!!!!  Happy we are STILL here!

GO PENGUINS

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Sorry. I meant Wells being under center, as opposed to the shotgun. It does not seem as though we go under center as much with Dante taking the snaps. Then again, his legs help him there.

I don't like the read option with Wells. He is not suited to run the ball and his ball handling skills leave a little to be desired at this point.   We cannot have those costly mistake so this game this is a better opponent yet again.  Hopefully they line the HB or FB up next to him so he can serve as an extra blocker and as the outlet guy.  However it seems to me that when we try to play all of that powerball we outsmart ourselves.   Maybe the right approach is to air it out on them with our deadly accurate qb.  I don't know what to expect.   I felt like we thought WIU was going to be tougher and played the game close to the vest and then we couldn't get the mojo back when we needed it.  I thought last week we had a much better game plan.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:02:35 PM by penguinpower »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
I'm going to pick SDSU to win, and hope the opposite happens.

SDSU 52
YSU 50

4 Overtimes, and in 4th OT, YSU fails to convert the 2pt PAT

Offline JackJD

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
Here's the history of the series (SDSU leads 10-5)

Home team listed second

1942: YSU 14, SDSU 0

1968: SDSU 23, YSU 20
 1969: YSU 17, SDSU 16

1972: YSU 22, SDSU 34
 1973: SDSU 26, YSU 6
 1974: YSU 35, SDSU 21
 1975: SDSU 38, YSU 21
 1979 D II PLAYOFF GAME AT YSU: SDSU 7, YSU 50 (Ouch!)

In the modern era, here are the results:
 2007: SDSU 17, YSU 23
 2008: YSU 7, SDSU 40
 2009: SDSU 17, YSU 3
 2010: YSU 20, SDSU 30
 2011: SDSU 35, YSU 28
 2012: YSU 28, SDSU 41
 2013: SDSU 42, YSU 13 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
Valley, if you read my previous post, I said YSU could not continue to make the same special teams and mental errorss they mkae every game and expect to win in this conference. Well! they still had a punt blocked.  That is not going to fly against SD St.  I want YSU to win, but I'm being realistic. The mistakes continue every game, nothing has been cleaned up.  That's why I posted the scores I did!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »
Again, I would like for YSU to win every game, but that can't happen if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with mental errors and special teams mistakes.  I hope the defense plays their best game of the season Saturday, and we avoid the mental mistakes we've had in past games.  This is a huge game that we need for a playoff run. Ths may be the most important game of the Wofford era!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Here's the history of the series (SDSU leads 10-5)

In the modern era, here are the results:
 2007: SDSU 17, YSU 23
 2008: YSU 7, SDSU 40
 2009: SDSU 17, YSU 3
 2010: YSU 20, SDSU 30
 2011: SDSU 35, YSU 28
 2012: YSU 28, SDSU 41
 2013: SDSU 42, YSU 13

Well I can certainly spot a trend when I see it. Until we prove we can stop a big time back I don't like our chances. The only thing that stopped the starter from SIU was injury.

35-20 SDSU. Hobos, winos, derilicts, transients and vagabonds all run wild in Brookings later on.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »
Fifth year we can't do road trips.  A VERY bitter pill to swallow.  Those who will be there, cheer loudly enough for me (that's a big order).  We wish the team the best, go for it!  Toasting to you in the comforts of our home....
Wish we were there!!!!!  Happy we are STILL here!

GO PENGUINS

I hope all is well with you and Ray. We really miss you guys and the "OLD" road crew. Just not the same anymore  :-X

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
I hope Sumner gets healthy, but I'm glad he is not playing Saturday.  He lit the Guins up the last three years, and I wouldn't give YSU much of a chance this year either if he were playing.  With him out, I give YSU a 50-50 chance.  Their backup QB has been putting some yardage, but he's thrown 5 picks the last two games.  YSU wins 31-28

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
Is it true that our punter hurt his knee practicing on grass Wednesday?
We need to be bulldogs to take care of the hobos.
GO GUINS

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
GO GUINS

Yep, Cejudo is injured. Unsure of his status for saturday. Could be bad news......

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
GO GUINS

Yep, Cejudo is injured. Unsure of his status for saturday. Could be bad news......

Yikes!! Love his kicking ability (xp, fg, and ko) but hopefully YSU has a back up that can get the ball off his toe in under a minute on the punt  ::)