Author Topic: SDSUU...thoughts  (Read 44183 times)

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
SDSUU...thoughts
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
What do you predict for Saturdays game?  I see it as a battle royal.  Since it's on their field, it troubles me.  I  see it as a squeaker....but don't know which team will  squeak the loudest.

What do you think (not your heart, your brain).

GO  TEAM!!!!p

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSUU...thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
This is a bad matchup....for our coach.  In 4+ seasons, Wolford has enjoyed success against Southern Illinois, split with Illinois State, and even played competitive games against UNI.  But we have stunk against SDSU with Wolford getting badly out-coached every time.  With that track record, it is hard to be optimistic.

However, SDSU has given up a lot of points in league play and ranks last in the conference in turnover margin.  They have been using their #2 quarterback for much of the season.  If our defense shows up and the offensive line performs well and our coaching staff refrains from doing something stupid, we have a chance.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
As I recall they have manhandled us the past couple of years, if that continues then it will be a long day. If we man up to them then I like our chances.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
Wick...I'm betting on two out of three.  Good post.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
Their very good QB, Austin Sumner, will be out for this one. Their backup who has started since game one got beat up a bit at the UNI Dome but escaped with a win. It will all come down to us stopping Zenner. Curious to see the wrinkles they throw in to slow him down.

Here is the tweet from last week:
@TerryVandrovec: Your weekly Austin Sumner injury update: "We think maybe three weeks at best." – SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
YSU has lost 6 in a row to SDSU.... SDSU is well coached...game is at SDSU.... will be a tough game for YSU to win... YSU has the talent to win, but I think they are going to need to play better than they have in any game so far this year to win

SDSU does have a backup QB, but they still have the 3rd best passing offense in MVFC. DSU has 2 big receivers and Zenner is very good catching the ball out of the backfield.

SDSU also has the 2nd best pass defense in MVFC, so will be interesting to see how the offense fares with Wells starting his first road game.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
As long as it is not Hobo Week there...I think we got a chance.  Leg haired women are bad luck!!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
Damn...I just looked it up..it is Hobo Week!!  Miss Homelycoming Pageant is Wednesday after the Bum-a-Meal and the Great Hobo Race..we got no chance!!

Go Guins
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:18:48 PM by peteonastick »
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »
Time to get payback for the last couple years. Finally getting a W at SDSU will exercise some demons for this team and catapult us towards the playoffs... Especially with Sumner out, YSU gets the W.

YSU 27
SDSU 21

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »
Although UNI eventually lost the game they did hold Zenner to 80yds on 29 carries.The consensus was that both teams played terribly but UNI played a little more terribly.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »
We need to give them heavy doses of throwing to the tight end so we can punish their secondary.  They will be hell bent on stopping our run so I think we should do this several times.  We will need to establish a run game to play keep away from their offense.   I would like to see us use a fullback up the middle to help create holes in the running game and help protect the qb.  I think we will have to stay balanced. They won't be fooled with our read option if Wells is in there.  I would also like to see them use both QB's in the backfield.   They could cause all kinds of problems with that.  Nania could be a run/pass threat once Wells gets rid of the ball.  We need to pull out the stops on this team and get a win here.  It is getting late in the season and wins are becoming more valuable to the playoff committee. We still have a mathematical chance of winning the conference we just need to win all of our games on out.  Not likely but possible if we keep playin good defense.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:10:16 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
This is why SDSU beat YSU (in the past years).. SDSU is one big a$$ physical team with a great coach.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:41:24 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
Whoever said "Statistics are for losers" was wise.  Nonetheless, if you are looking for hope going into this game, consider a few selective stats.  These are from conference games only; SDSU has played three just like us.

YSU is 2nd in scoring defense (17 pts. per game)  SDSU is last in scoring defense (33 pts. per game)

YSU is 4th in rushing offense (185 yards per game.)  SDSU is 9th in rushing defense (196 per game)

YSU is 3rd in rushing defense (130 yards per game.)  SDSU is 9th in rushing offense (120 per game) despite the presence of Zenner.

SDSU is 1st in passing offense at 275 yards per game but only rated 6th in passing efficiency.
YSU is 7th in passing offense at 198 yards per game but rated 2nd in passing efficiency.

Of course SDSU could also cite statistics that favored them.  SDSU might have also played a harder schedule with Illinois State and UNI, although I'm not sure that UNI is any better than Western Illinois this season.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »
Whoever said "Statistics are for losers" was wise.  Nonetheless, if you are looking for hope going into this game, consider a few selective stats.  These are from conference games only; SDSU has played three just like us.

YSU is 2nd in scoring defense (17 pts. per game)  SDSU is last in scoring defense (33 pts. per game)

YSU is 4th in rushing offense (185 yards per game.)  SDSU is 9th in rushing defense (196 per game)

YSU is 3rd in rushing defense (130 yards per game.)  SDSU is 9th in rushing offense (120 per game) despite the presence of Zenner.

SDSU is 1st in passing offense at 275 yards per game but only rated 6th in passing efficiency.
YSU is 7th in passing offense at 198 yards per game but rated 2nd in passing efficiency.

Of course SDSU could also cite statistics that favored them.  SDSU might have also played a harder schedule with Illinois State and UNI, although I'm not sure that UNI is any better than Western Illinois this season.

Good work Wick. Sick of paper Penguins... Lets show em' on the field  :D

Offline SDSUJack

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

Not sure where you got your information, mine could be wrong too but his is what I found.
http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team-all.pdf