Author Topic: SDSUU...thoughts  (Read 44181 times)

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSUU...thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
Montgomery has never had a successful game plan vs SDSU or had success calling plays, I fully expect an assbeating

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
SD St 42 YSU 28.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
SD St 42 YSU 28.
I hope you are off by that 22pt margin you had from the YSU-SIU game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Montgomery has never had a successful game plan vs SDSU or had success calling plays, I fully expect an assbeating

You forgot to thank God he will not be hear after this year, as you always say :o
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:36:59 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
SDSUJack,

You are using the stats from all games played.  Look in the MVFC website for "conference only" stats.  Midway through the season that starts to give more meaningful information.  That eliminates worthless data from our "money" games and from our dog games (Oshkosh for you, Butler for us.)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
I have yet to see a betting line where YSU is favored.  YSU as an underdog either sucks it up and plays tough or  makes mistakes & errors and gets beat. And with more tough games to play in the MVFC, the season could be slipping away.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
SDSU 28
YSU 10

Hope I'm wrong like last week.

Offline SDSUJack

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me Wick.
Any 'Guin fans making the long trip to Brookings, win or loose hobo day is always a great time.  I prefer a jacks victory though. :)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:27 AM »
I have yet to see a betting line where YSU is favored.  YSU as an underdog either sucks it up and plays tough or  makes mistakes & errors and gets beat. And with more tough games to play in the MVFC, the season could be slipping away.

I was surprised how we pushed SIU around.  That last drive that was like 7 minutes at the end of the game was a head turner for me.  When have we done that?  The defense played much better again, but this week will be a much tougher test.  We cannot make the mistakes we made against WIU.  We should have beaten WIU but the blunders killed us.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
I was surprised, too.  I think the SDSU game all depends on which YSU team shows up. There's an opportunity here. Unfortunately, a loss to SDSU gives SDSU a tiebreaker advantage and probably means at best a 4th place finish for YSU given that Illinois State does not face NDSU this season. A 4th place finish will be a bubble position and means that that we would have to rely on the good graces of the selection committee. :(

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
Power, we had 3 drives above 5-minutes each. The very first drive had me gasping at 7:53 in length. Not sure any of the Heacock teams ever did that. Have to go back to Tressel for one that long.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Power, we had 3 drives above 5-minutes each. The very first drive had me gasping at 7:53 in length. Not sure any of the Heacock teams ever did that. Have to go back to Tressel for one that long.

Maybe I got it mixed up, but yes the 7 minute drive was outstanding.  I think we punched it in too.

Offline JackJD

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Here's a short "Q & A" with SDSU's coach from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader newspaper (not a lot of substance but a point or two that may be of some interest):
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2014/10/21/first-pitch-qa-sdsus-john-stiegelmeier/17701775/

The Argus Leader will be giving increasing coverage to Saturday's game as the week winds down.

For many of us old timers (I guess that's what I've become), playing Youngstown is a big deal.  When I attended SDSU, we played YSU quarterbacked by Ron Jaworski and those teams and YSU's tradition and football reputation attracted a lot of attention. 

I hope some YSU fans make the trek for Hobo Day, one of the most unique homecomings in America.  Safe travels! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »

Maybe I got it mixed up, but yes the 7 minute drive was outstanding.  I think we punched it in too.

No you are right Power ...the last drive was 7-minutes as well & we took the knee. Another thing of beauty.

Yes we did punch in that first one ...unlike the previous week, which ended up with a 3-pointer and I think cost us the game. Any time we can drive the length of the field early, we need to score 6. Later in the game, I may not make the same decision, but I would have gone for it on fourth against WIU. It was less than a yard. I kind of feel that a team stopping us on downs ...or holding us to 3-points is the same thing early in a game (in terms of motivation for the other team). What do you think?

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of Wells going under center

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Later in the game, I may not make the same decision, but I would have gone for it on fourth against WIU. It was less than a yard. I kind of feel that a team stopping us on downs ...or holding us to 3-points is the same thing early in a game (in terms of motivation for the other team).

You forgot about the false start penalty on third down.  It was 3rd and 2 at the 5 when the penalty made it 3rd and 7.  Nania was then sacked for a 1 yard loss setting up 4th and 8.  That 5 yard penalty was costly.