Author Topic: SDSUU...thoughts  (Read 44632 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSUU...thoughts
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
We will need to hold on to the ball and avoid getting stripped

I would like to see us jump in front of one of those slants that they will run.

Need to get some pressure on their qb.  Easier said than done.

Need to gang tackle and stay assignment sound.

Hunter will need to get rid of the ball.  If we can hit them with some down field passes we will force them to stay spread out on defense. This balance will be critical.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:31:29 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
Power, do you think this is a situation where good use of Nania could work for us? Mix it up a bit.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Time of possession and long, sustained drives like last week will be key. No turnovers and we can win this thing!

GO YSU!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
Great takeaways from your watching, penguinpower.  The SDSU coaches comments make sense. History shows us that

(1) YSU has problems defending slants.
(2) Ruiz has fumblitis. Usually we tolerate this because he gets so many yards to offset his errors.
(3) We fall for trick plays. Always. Unfortunately, our field smarts aren't too good.
(4) Hunter is inexperienced.

With regard to (4), Hunter has shown a lot of cool so far.  Assuming the OL can do its job, I am hoping they blitz and he remains calm--that would leave Williams, Berassa, and Stubbs open one-on-one. This and containment of Zenner will be the key to the game.

YSU defense has improved. There's now sometimes a legitimate pass rush, and third downs are now sometimes contested.  The LBs are now playing like LBs--last year they were positioned too far behind the line. Occasionally a DB jumps the route and interferes with or even intercepts the pass.

The SDSU coach forgot our fair play policy.  If we get a big lead, we slow down the pace and do lots of three-and-outs because our ethics require that we give our opponents a chance to catch up. Lots of teams have benefited from this.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:26:25 AM by Spiderlegs »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
Power, do you think this is a situation where good use of Nania could work for us? Mix it up a bit.

UNI runs a 2 QB system this year. SDSU had a different call depending who was in. They were misaligned one time and still made the play to stop their qb.  I don't think it will make much of a difference.   I think we need to stretch them vertically.   They specifically said they were aware of our jet sweep and how we like to challenge the edge.  I think they will play up in the box and get pressure on the qb and try to shut down the run.

If we protect hunter and can go deep we will change their whole game plan and this will help our running game
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:55:43 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
Great takeaways from your watching, penguinpower.  The SDSU coaches comments make sense. History shows us that

(1) YSU has problems defending slants.
(2) Ruiz has fumblitis. Usually we tolerate this because he gets so many yards to offset his errors.
(3) We fall for trick plays. Always. Unfortunately, our field smarts aren't too good.
(4) Hunter is inexperienced.

With regard to (4), Hunter has shown a lot of cool so far.  Assuming the OL can do its job, I am hoping they blitz and he remains calm--that would leave Williams, Berassa, and Stubbs open one-on-one. This and containment of Zenner will be the key to the game.

YSU defense has improved. There's now sometimes a legitimate pass rush, and third downs are now sometimes contested.  The LBs are now playing like LBs--last year they were positioned too far behind the line. Occasionally a DB jumps the route and interferes with or even intercepts the pass.

The SDSU coach forgot our fair play policy.  If we get a big lead, we slow down the pace and do lots of three-and-outs because our ethics require that we give our opponents a chance to catch up. Lots of teams have benefited from this.

I agree. We will need to put a full back in the backfield to help protect if we can't man-up with their DL.  This will buy some time to get our wide receivers open. I think we have the advantage there with our length on their secondary.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:34:41 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
WR Christian Bryan out today with a concussion.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
Its not a full blown concussion. He had his impact test earliar this week.. Didnt score as well as they would like. Held out for more so precaution reasons and protocol. So from the way he sounded to my dad and I, its a mild concussion. Should be full go again next week.

We got this today, today we will take down SDSU!!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
Its not a full blown concussion. He had his impact test earliar this week.. Didnt score as well as they would like. Held out for more so precaution reasons and protocol. So from the way he sounded to my dad and I, its a mild concussion. Should be full go again next week.

We got this today, today we will take down SDSU!!

Good to hear!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
3rd and 1 and our LB's are 4 yards back from the LOS..... Wow.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
As I recall they have manhandled us the past couple of years, if that continues then it will be a long day. If we man up to them then I like our chances.

Well we manned up
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
Wins over SIU and SDSU prove that we can win the big games---the team does seem a lot more confident now.Many of our starters are Freshmen and Sophomores so the future is looking brighter.Sure hope there is no let down against South Dakota.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
We proved that we can beat the best.  No turnovers.  Flat out won an away game in a very hostile environment against one of the best teams in the conference.  This was not a fluke like the NDSU game a few years ago. This was a battle and we flat out beat the hell out of them.   We beat them up front on both sides.  About time. We need to repeat and get even better
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:58:46 PM by penguinpower »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
The play calling at the end was still a bit too conservative, but we got away with it.  Wells doesn't surprise me that much. My question is why have the D and the OL suddenly become so effective? What changed? A team that learns from its mistakes and grows over the season is something new in the W. era.  Hard to believe that we are seeing this.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:07:50 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
Wins over SIU and SDSU prove that we can win the big games---the team does seem a lot more confident now.Many of our starters are Freshmen and Sophomores so the future is looking brighter.Sure hope there is no let down against South Dakota.

That SIU win not looking so impressive (see what they are doing vs ISUb right now)