Author Topic: How good is the MVFC  (Read 54837 times)

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
How good is the MVFC
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
Now that non-conference play is winding down and everyone's looking forward to their conference foes, I wanted to get an early evaluation of the conference... How does the MVFC stack up here in 2014.  And from what I can see pretty darn well.  In fact, I'm thinking it looks to be the deepest the conference has ever been...

MVFC overall non-conference record (vs. FCS): 22-1
Two FBS Wins (NDSU and Indiana St)
Two Top 25 wins (#22 and #4) and a close loss to #4 (by South Dakota, typically lower tier in the MVFC)

Typical front-runners:
NDSU has been...well... NDSU. Beat #4 Montana
SDSU is still a mystery but history has shown us to have faith in the 'Rabbits
UNI has close loses to Hawaii and Iowa... now just need to starting earning some Ws back in FCS

Typical Mid-Tier:
YSU... say what you will but Illinois is 3-1 and Duquesne will be a playoff team come the end of the season.
Ill St... Havent played anybody overly difficult but have the pieces to have a good season
Ind St... beat Ball State and Tenn Tech
Mizz St... Solid wins over Central Arkansas and SWSU
Southern Ill... Destroyed SE Mizz St who then turned around and beat #3 SE Louisiana

Typical Lower-Tier:
Western Illinois... Actually outgained Northwestern, with turnovers ruining a chance at yet another close FBS game for the MVFC... Currently 2-2
South Dakota... Win over #22 N. Arizona and close loss to #4 Montana

You look at the schedule this year and it just seems like there is never a "week off" for the Quins (which is as much a good thing as it is a bad thing).  Looking at the depth of the conference (at least through the first 4 weeks), it would be criminal to not invite at least 4 teams to the postseason...

The Big Sky got that last year and everyone but Eastern Washington got killed their first game. I think the MVFC is more than deserving, even if that means sending an 8-4 to the postseason. Only problem is I think the Missouri Valley is going to pull a traditional SEC (I hate to use that example) and beat each other up.  Let's just hope the committee has more sense than to just look at records and play favorites...

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How good is the MVFC
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
FWIW, Massey has 9 of the 10 MVFC in its FCS Top 25. WIU is #26.

MSU an early 6 point edge over YSU per Massey, which has the Bears #3 right now in its computer rankings. Huge one at the renovated Plaster Complex next week. They are already promoting the game bigtime in Springfield, we should take notes, and they are hoping for their 2nd straight sell-out.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
The MVFC is the best in FCS. You are right and I agree with you, we will beat each other up in conference play, just as they have the past couple of seasons. The FCS really does need to question their judgements on who gets in to the playoffs... An 8-4 team in the MVFC, is probably a 10-2, or 11-1 team in almost all other conferences. No love shown to them when it comes to Playoff selections, I have begun to wonder if someone on the selection committee has something against YSU, or if someone from YSU pissed in someones wheaties! NDSU is strong as usual, are they the same NDSU as the past couple seasons, no, but they are still very strong, tough, and know how to win football games. UNI is very good as well, they have impressed me the most, the Iowa game was very enjoyable to watch as I was switching back and fourth between that game and the Guins and Illinois. UNI can score, and score fast. UNI, and NDSU go out and look to bury teams, and go after them fast, there is no feeling around with them, they come and do what they need to do to win. The MVFC is good football, and it's nice to go into every week not knowing what is going to happen! Yes the Guins have their hands full every week, but so does every other team in the conference. Very excited, and interested to see how this season will pan out! Let's Go Guins!  fb
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
The MVFC is an FBS conference somehow misplaced in FCS FB. 

The choice the YSU Athletic Department has is playoffs vs. MVFC membership plus a huge travel budget.

NDSU (and maybe even SDSU) is an unpaid blood game.

The rest of the MVFC (including YSU) would dominate most other FCS conferences.

Getting one at-large bid is scandalous...but the reality of the selection committee's biases.

So deciding to stay in the MVFC is = deciding to forego post-season.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Pretty damn good.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Being in the best conference means nothing to me if we are not in the upper tier and making the playoffs FCS is a joke on how they select the teams for the playoffs.  Butler made the playoffs don't know if they offer scholarships and spend way less than we do for football than we do and they get in crappy conference and all.  So in my eyes being in this conference means nothing.  Its about making the playoffs not looking at who u play the first 3 games ...win the league and then we can have this discussion.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
Your playing in the league with most of the best teams in FCS, a little love by accepting more teams from this conference would be nice...

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
I will agree that we get dissed during playoff discussions but this has happened year in year out...those committee people don't see it our way.  Thats another thread about how our commish doesnt get it done.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »
An FBS conference somehow misplaced in the FCS?? thats humorous.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

Massey ranks the MVFC over the C-USA, and MAC...and until this week above the Sun Belt.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2013&c=1
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
We will find the competition in the MVFC will significantly increase over our 1st four games. In the 4 games played so far; we had 134 passes thrown by opposing QB's and only 1 interception which was then fumbled. These QB's were not All Americans.

We may win 4 or 5 games of our 8 conference games, but all of these games will be brutal!! During these 8 games; injuries will occur, lapses will occur and opposing coaches will make adjustments to their offenses and defenses at half time which has to be managed by our coaching staff.

Even NDSU, which is a very well oiled machine, will have trouble getting through the MVFC undefeated. The upper tier teams, some could lose 3 games, with every team beating each other up.

Thus, getting into the playoffs from the MVFC will be difficult. We must play with high intensity the entire game and get 6 wins to assure a playoff spot.

Some how maybe we will prevail!  GO PENGUINS   

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »

I dont think their saying teams from the MVFC would win the National Title in FBS, but you don't think North Dakota, and UNI could hang in FBS..? Not sure if you follow some of the teams in the MVFC other than YSU, but there are some pretty good football teams...

Lets_Talk

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
It is way to early in the season to start making playoff predictions. With that being said, some of you might take solace in knowing The Sports Network has a projected playoff bracket. There are 5 teams from the MVFC in their projected playoff bracket:

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
SIU
ISU(red)

YSU is one of 4 teams on the at-large bubble

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_9_21_2014.htm
PROJECTED PLAYOFF FIELD

Looking at where teams may stand in a projected playoff bracket on Nov. 23, and not based on current records or conference standings:

Illinois State/Montana State winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State

Southern Illinois/Eastern Kentucky winner at No. 8 seed McNeese State

Bethune-Cookman/Chattanooga winner at No. 5 seed Jacksonville State

Fordham/Liberty winner at No. 4 seed New Hampshire

Tennessee State/Montana winner at No. 6 seed Southeastern Louisiana

Sacred Heart/Northern Iowa winner at No. 3 seed Villanova

Richmond/North Carolina A&T winner at No. 7 seed Coastal Carolina

Jacksonville/South Dakota State winner at No. 2 seed Eastern Washington

On the at-large bubble: Sacramento State, Delaware, William & Mary and Youngstown State

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:23:02 AM »
Don't read TSN's bullsh**. They wrote an article Sunday that said the CAA is the deepest conference too.  Last time I checked the MVFC is 22-1 against other FCS conferences and has 2 FBS wins.  The two cellar dwellers in the MVFC have wins against an FBS opponent and a ranked FCS opponent. And that only loss is by is #4 Montana in a close game.  The following week that bottom dweller knocked off a top 25 NAU team.

TSN is sending subliminal messages to help influence votes for the CAA.  Their sportswriters are worth a $0.50 roll of toilet paper.  It is hard to believe they even wrote those words this year.

So far the CAA is 0-13 against FBS competition and 18-6 vs Other FCS conferences.  Of the 6 losses three have come to partial scholarship NEC teams.  They also have a loss to a Patriot League team but I'm not sure if they are full scholarship or not.  Either way TSN's claim that the CAA is the deepest conferemce is complete bullsh**.  It's like watching MSNBC spreading their lies.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:05:49 AM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
The MVFC is an FBS conference somehow misplaced in FCS FB. 

The choice the YSU Athletic Department has is playoffs vs. MVFC membership plus a huge travel budget.

NDSU (and maybe even SDSU) is an unpaid blood game.

The rest of the MVFC (including YSU) would dominate most other FCS conferences.

Getting one at-large bid is scandalous...but the reality of the selection committee's biases.

So deciding to stay in the MVFC is = deciding to forego post-season.

Agree 100%