Author Topic: How good is the MVFC  (Read 55358 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How good is the MVFC
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
What did Kern say?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
What did Kern say?

He said that the allotment of at large bids to he MVFC by the selection committee was appropriate.  He noted YSU's 2011 Mizz State loss and also three straight season ending losses in 2013 as reason for YSU not getting in.  When asked about travel, he referred to Indiana State's OOC schedule (which has little to do with YSU or the MVFC).  I heard his car door during the interview.  I think he was doing the interview while driving....further displaying how he (doesn't) prioritize(s) YSU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
I think that you guys are being a little unfair to Kern. The issue began back when the football merged with the rest of the MVC. Heck now they even call it "Valley Football". In my mind, it is going to quickly get to the point where if we are not in the MVC, then why bother?

Football is just as much an after thought for any of the clubs, as it is for the conference and Kern. Kern wants NCAA MBB Tourney dollar$ far more than any football trophy.

Secondly, talk said well, we had 2 coach H teams (arguably 3) that deserved the post-season. We have had no coach W teams that deserved consideration.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Secondly, talk said well, we had 2 coach H teams (arguably 3) that deserved the post-season. We have had no coach W teams that deserved consideration.

In the final 2013 Sports Network poll, YSU was ranked 18th.

These at-large bids were ranked lower:  Samford (19), S Utah (21), and SC State (25)
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
I think that you guys are being a little unfair to Kern. The issue began back when the football merged with the rest of the MVC. Heck now they even call it "Valley Football". In my mind, it is going to quickly get to the point where if we are not in the MVC, then why bother?

Football is just as much an after thought for any of the clubs, as it is for the conference and Kern. Kern wants NCAA MBB Tourney dollar$ far more than any football trophy.

I disagree.  8 wins is 8 wins no matter when or how you get them.  Timing is bullsh**.  SHSU had only 6 D1 wins and got in over us last year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
  Timing is bullsh**.

It is interesting that the MVFC schedules YSU against UNI, SDSU, and NDSU as its final three games....and then Kern cites losing the final three games as a justification for being denied an at-large bid.

How Samford, SC State, or S Utah would have fared in those three games?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Some good points, especially when it come to the selections from other conferences; but two things:

1) When a school boy loses a fight, the argument that "my dad is stronger than yours" does not equate. The fact remains that the young lad lost his brawl, as YSU lost their last 3 games in 2013; so who cares what conference anyone (who did get in) is from? We lost 3 games & that left us with nothing but "talking points". Win at least one of the NDSU or SDSU games and we were in. Better yet, win all three and take NDSU's #1 seed.

2) The NCAA cannot afford to be unfair to any conference. Maybe the MVFC is stronger than some other conferences, but if the NCAA does not award bids to the less powerful conferences ...then those conferences will always be "less powerful". Personally I do not believe in any at-large bids; there should be a fixed number from bids from each conference. This will keep "super conferences" from developing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:07:44 PM by IAA Fan »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
I agree with IAAFan about #1 and would push it even farther. Everyone seems to forget that some of the selection committee watched last year's SDSU game and made their judgment on what they saw. YSU was on the bubble and everybody knew it. SDSU came to play; YSU didn't. If you were at that game, you know what a fiasco this was for YSU. This game alone would have been reason not to renew W's contract.

I disagree with IAAFan about #2.  FCS needs ratings and to get this FCS needs the best at-large teams in the playoffs, though it is possible that the FCS selection committee is so blind that it doesn't get this point. Contrary to what some on this board say, YSU has some of the better attended games in FCS and its presence would be a plus.  It's actually beneficial to FCS financially to include us if for no other reason than the ticket revenue. Watch the video feeds from some of the other schools and you'll never complain about attendance at a YSU game ever again.

The debate over whether YSU is an FCS superpower would end if we actually played teams from the Southland, OVC, and CAA in our OOC schedule. We've deceived ourselves that selection is based solely on the number of wins and that the committee will be really impressed by beating up Butler, when it clearly isn't nor should it be. Given the substantial increases to the athletic budget over the past several years, money can't be used as the issue for not upgrading the schedule. I personally think we are chicken and YSU has put itself in this position. I like Strollo and think he does a great job with limited resources, but on FB scheduling he is wrong.

And frankly, I don't care if we lose $200K if we give up a home game to play a good FCS opponent. That money will come back in other ways--more fans in the stands, more businesses wanting to advertise with YSU, more ESPN exposure.

IAAFan is also wrong about Coke. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:09:30 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Hey Spider , I saw a replay of one of our home "games" this year. Fat Boy Love stated they book these for the loge fans. Nothing mentioned about the fans in the seats. I guess we know where we stand. You are correct , we should get another money game.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »
Spider Legs, I agree with your comments about the selection committee members watching the SDSU game. I also agree with you that the ONLY way to prove to the selection committee and rest of the country that YSU and other teams in the MFVC are as good/better as the top teams in the CAA, OVC and SoCon is to play these teams in the regular season. Same with the Big Sky, and to their credit, NDSU, SDSU, and ND typically play at least 1 team from the Big Sky. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, the OOC schedule appears to be set up to appease the people who rent the loges. This is fine, but the scheduling strategy has not helped YSU come playoff time. I'm not even sure how well it helps YSU in preparing for the teams in the MVFC.

Consistently making the playoffs provides the potential for at least 1 more home game for those in the loges to watch. And, it is also the best way to get more people to attend the games. I know YSU does not get the profits from ticket sales for playoff games, but they still make money from parking, concessions, and souvenirs. These are also extra games for the people who rent/lease the loges, and another opportunity to get people onto the YSU campus, and generate some school and community excitement. If being a consistent playoff increases both tickets sold and actual attendance in the regular season, that leads to more revenue. Depending on the size of the increase, it may well make up all or most of the supposed $200,000 in revenue YSU makes per home game.

As for the person who asked why SDSU made the playoffs over YSU last season, the teams tied for 2nd place in the MFVC. They played head-to-head, and SDSU won. As for the "conspiracy" theory of YSU playing their final 3 games against UNI, NDSU and SDSU, give me a break. The final 2 games were at home. UNI was 4-5/0-5 and depleted by injuries when they played YSU. A team deserving of the playoffs surely could have gone 1-2 in these 3 games. Had YSU gone 1-2, they would have been in the playoffs.
In 2011, YSU played Missouri State in the final game, at home. Missouri State came into the game with 1-9/1-6. Win that game, and YSU was in the playoffs. They lost 38-34, after leading 27-10 at halftime. Let me type that again. YSU was beating a team with a 1-9 record 27-10 at halftime, playing at home, and lost 38-34
In 2012, YSU finished the season with South Dakota, at WIU and Indiana State, 3 bottom tier teams. Had YSU simply gone 1-3 in October, they likely would have made the playoffs at 8-4/5-3, especially with a season opening win at PITT.

The conspiracy theories get old. Under both Heacock and Wolford, YSU has gone back to finding ways to lose winnable games against quality teams, and even mediocre teams. The same kind of games needed to win if wanting to make the playoffs. The very games the Tressel coached teams in 87, and then 89-2000 more often than not found ways to win.
Under Heacock, it was a 24-14 home loss to WKU in 2001. YSU entered the game ranked in the Top 10 at 6-1/4-1. WKU was 5-2/2-1. YDU also lost that year at UNI.
In 2002, it was a 13-7 loss at WKU. A game in which YSU had 3 TO's, including 2 INT's in the 4th qtr, and a fumble inside the WKU 5 yard line at the end of the 1st half, with WKU leading 10-7. One of the 2 INT's was in the 4th qtr, with YSU inside the WKU 20. YSU finished 7-4/4-2. YSU also lost to UNI, this time at home. UNI finished 5-6/2-5, yet won 22-7 at YSU.  ??? ???

In 2005, it was back-to-back road losses at UNI and SIU, after YSU started the season 7-1/4-0. YSU was ranked 11th. UNI was 4-3/2-2, and essentially playing for their playoff lives. UNI won 21-7. The next week, YSU lost 31-17 at SIU, in a game YSU led 17-7 at halftime.

I agree with all the people saying that THIS YEAR, it will be a travesty if the MVFC only gets 2 teams into the playoffs. I believe the MFVC will get more than 2 teams into the playoffs, but not so sure YSU will be one of those teams. The reason is simple. Under Wolford, YSU has not shown an ability to win big games. The lone exceptions were in 2011 at NDSU, and 2012 at PITT. The win at NDSU in 2011 was followed up with a 38-34 home loss to Missouri State to end the season. Remember, this was a home game against a team with a record of (1-9/1-6) and YSU led 27-10 at halftime. . The 2012 win at PITT was followed up with an 0-4 in October.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:14:53 AM by Lets_Talk »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
And let's not forget that last year's team allowed UNI to score 16 points in the fourth quarter after holding UNI to 6 during the first 3 quarters. There's a consistent pattern here of W. teams not being able to finish a season.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:18 PM »
The Valley is now 23-1 in non-conference FCS play. Indiana State beat up a halfway decent Lehigh team today.

SIU takes down WIU in MVFC opener.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 03:22:08 AM »
The Valley is now 23-1 in non-conference FCS play. Indiana State beat up a halfway decent Lehigh team today.

#22 Liberty plus they have an FBS win as well.  They have a very impressive resume thus far
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:23:58 AM by penguinpower »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »

Pretty impressive start..
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I like the way Kirk Herbstreit put it when he discussed Baylor just after 10:00am on GameDay this week.  He noted how Baylor has done well over the last few years and has moved up from the bottom of the Big12.  He mentioned how during their time of transition that it was good to play lower competition to get as many wins as possible.  But now...they need to schedule better teams to stay near the top of the division and maintain their exposure (something they did not do this year). 

Z