Author Topic: How good is the MVFC  (Read 55355 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How good is the MVFC
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
The MVFC is an FBS conference somehow misplaced in FCS FB. 

The choice the YSU Athletic Department has is playoffs vs. MVFC membership plus a huge travel budget.

NDSU (and maybe even SDSU) is an unpaid blood game.

The rest of the MVFC (including YSU) would dominate most other FCS conferences.

Getting one at-large bid is scandalous...but the reality of the selection committee's biases.

So deciding to stay in the MVFC is = deciding to forego post-season.

Just think how good most of the MVFC teams would be given the full allotment of FBS scholarships  :-[

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
I will agree that we get dissed during playoff discussions but this has happened year in year out...those committee people don't see it our way.  Thats another thread about how our commish doesnt get it done.
It also doesn't help that SDS last year, ILS in 2012 and UNI in 2011 all suffered blowout losses in the playoffs.  Coming into this season, followers of the other conferences view the MVFC as consisting of one of the all-time greatest teams, and a bunch of average teams.  Hopefully this year's success in the out of conference games changes that opinion.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
So far the CAA is 0-13 against FBS competition and 18-6 vs Other FCS conferences.  Of the 6 losses four have come to partial scholarship teams from the NEC and Patriot League. 

TSN's claim that the CAA is the deepest conferemce is complete bullsh**.

Quoting myself
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:04:44 PM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 01:13:47 PM »
So far the CAA is 0-13 against FBS competition and 18-6 vs Other FCS conferences.  Of the 6 losses four have come to partial scholarship teams from the NEC and Patriot League. 

Quoting myself

Me too! The facts speak for themselves here. No amount of homerism \ fanboy love can make this go away

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
Penguinpower I agree, the statement that the CAA is the deepest is garbage! Thankfully conference play is here now.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
Penguinpower I agree, the statement that the CAA is the deepest is garbage! Thankfully conference play is here now.

Tell your brother we are looking for some big plays out of everyone, but more importantly to play a complete game and communicate with each other better between plays and drives.  Seems like the kids don't discuss much about what the other team is doing on the sidelines. Communicate with the coaches and among themselves.

Missouri State needs to receive payback after the loss 2 years ago knocked us out of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:30:25 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »

The Sagarin ratings certainly don't back up TSN's claim.

75  Villanova              AA =  68.12 
  93  New Hampshire    AA =  63.40
 129  William & Mary    AA =  58.07
 136  Richmond            AA =  57.32 
 160  James Madison    AA =  52.24
 164  Maine                 AA =  51.63   
 167  Albany-NY           AA =  51.34
 168  Delaware            AA =  50.69
 173  Towson               AA =  50.30 
 189  Stony Brook        AA =  46.95
 200  Elon                   AA =  44.89   
 212  Rhode Island       AA =  41.51

43  North Dakota State   AA =  76.31
  70  South Dakota State  AA =  69.34
  82  Northern Iowa          AA =  66.50 
 101  Southern Illinois      AA =  62.18
 104  Missouri State         AA =  62.04
 110  Illinois State           AA =  61.38   
 111  Youngstown State   AA =  60.77
 150  South Dakota         AA =  54.41   
 151  Indiana State         AA =  54.16 
 174  Western Illinois      AA =  50.28 

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
Will do penguinpower. Hoping that having these two weeks to prep will benefit the team, and we wiil see them coming out firing on all cylinders. Alot of skill at the skill positions on this team, should be able to put up some points.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
I've been watching YSU football since the early 90's and I haven't seen the Gateway/MVFC this deep and strong ever. In years past, there were some games you could almost count as W's such as Indiana St when they were in the middle of their losing streak, Western Illinois some years and Illinois State last year however there are none on the schedule this year. Next week at Missouri State will really set the tone for the rest of the season. A road win would really help jump start our playoff push.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
I agree. Winning at Missouri St would be a HUGE boost to the start of the conference season. They have a brand new stadium and trying to have a big record crowd. They are already hyping this game up big time for their fans....

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
The reality is as good as we have recruited under Wolf, the MVFC has, for the most part, recruited as well or better. Talent level is high. Very high. In NDSU's case, extremely high. Record against the FCS games is instant proof. I would also note that many MVFC players are making the Pros in good numbers.  Dog eat dog league.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
The reality is as good as we have recruited under Wolf, the MVFC has, for the most part, recruited as well or better. Talent level is high. Very high. In NDSU's case, extremely high. Record against the FCS games is instant proof. I would also note that many MVFC players are making the Pros in good numbers.  Dog eat dog league.

No doubt here. I wonder how we'd do in the CAA or OVC? Probably wouldn't be calling for blanket staff firings.

Gotta beat who you play though, "no excuses"  ;)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
Plain and simple, YSU last deserved to make the playoffs in 2006, and they made the playoffs in 06. YSU did NOT deserve the playoffs in 2001, despite going 8-3. They had only 6 wins over D1 teams, and lost to the top 2 teams in the MVFC.

The 2005 team went 8-3, but lost at UNI and SIU in back-to-back weeks. That team had a win over D2 Slippery Rock. They lost 41-0 at PITT.

None of the teams under Wolford deserved to be in the playoffs. A team that finishes the regular season with 3 losses in a row, the last 2 at home is not deserving of a playoff birth. Also, the first loss in that 3 game losing streak was at a UNI team depleted by injuries, which was 0-5 in the MVFC at the time the teams played.

I think the MVFC has trouble getting more than 2 teams in the playoffs many seasons because of the conferences OVERALL performance in the playoffs. The OOC schedules of teams such as YSU do not help.

Here are 2 links from the Nolan Power Index. Take it for what it is worth. The 1st is the SOS for every team in FCS. The only team from the MVFC in top 20 of SOS is Missouri State at #19. This is only ONE computer rating system, so it is not a be all, end all.
http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2014/sos

As for the Nolan Power Index, the MVFC is represented well:
1 - NDSU
7 - ISU
8 - MSU
12 - Indy State
15 - SIU
18 - SDSU
20 - YSU
45 - WIU
59 - South Dakota
61 - UNI
http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2014/npi

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
Warren Nolan site is bullsh**.  SHSU played a do team.  The sos has is favoring a conference

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Listening to Penguin Playbook last night, I thought Mike Kern was dismissive ( and even condescending) regarding concerns raised by Bob Hannon re: YSU's MVFC-related travel, and lack of MVFC at-large bids.

If I were the YSU AD, I would feel that YSU needs to re-evaluate conference affiliation after the 2014 season.  If the MVFC only receives 1-2 at-large bids....than it becomes a no brainer.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen