Author Topic: Women's Basketball!  (Read 86760 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Women's Basketball!
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
RPI is 28!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Tough test today at Oakland where the ladies haven't won since 2000! Coming off a physical game against Wright St, and only 1 days rest...

Spiderlegs

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Women lost a close game. They got outhustled when it mattered and more missed FTs than normal, which is usually a sign that they are tired. However, Oakland has put together some good moments since the middle of December, so I don't want to take anything away from them.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
Yep, knew it was gonna be tough after the Wright St win... Oh well, regroup and get back to work!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
I went - it was ugly - I came home , nuff said!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »
Ugly loss.... Yikes.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »
This team better find itself, they just blew a huge lead to the second-worst team in the conference. Oh well ...too many young players?

Spiderlegs

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
Youth may have been a problem with the defense, which collapsed in the second half, but overall I wouldn't say it was youth. Nobody but Schlegel was even trying to rebound--the offense deployed that shot-and-run from the Bolden area. Walker looked like she wasn't there at times.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
Nice bounce back game from the ladies!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
I guess the question now is whether 20 wins is possible. Nine games left with a 15-5 record. I would have thought so until losses to Oakland and Detroit. I see 18-19 wins a definite possibility, but 20 will require some consistency game after game, which will be hard for a young team.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
yes I thought that 20 wins gives us the NIT ...unless we win the tourney of course.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
HUGE game at WSU tomorrow at noon.  A win gives us a tie for second.  A loss puts us in the middle of the pack as there is lots of parity....all but two teams have between 3-5 HL wins.

Need the #2 or #3 seed going into the HL tournament so that we don't face UWGB until the HL championship.

Good news is we still have 2 games ahead versus 0-7 Valpo, and after tomorrow, all but two games are versus teams with 3 HL wins or less.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
Unfortunately, the women's team is regressing. A lot of their recent mistakes were some of the same mistakes they were making when they were winning, but IMO three things have changed:

(1) This team not longer can break a press.  In the first half of the season, they were bringing up as many as four players and the player in the center near the midcourt line (usually Schlegel) often ended up with the ball. Now it seems that the responsibility falls on Benjamin and one other person, which has resulted in too many errant passes and steals.

(2) Getting the ball to the post is no longer a priority. Instead, there's a lot of passing on the outside, and too much dribbling around with no real purpose. Need to get back to attacking the basket as they did earlier in the season.

(3) Walker seems to be checking out of the game in the second half. She did that last year, but early this season she seem engaged most of the time. Today she had no defensive rebounds in the second half. UIC had 19 offensive rebounds today--you can't win a close game conceding that much.

Barnes has a big challenge on his hands, and this is quite a test of his leadership. I hope he gets control of his team--still possible to have an outstanding season. They don't need to fix much to get back on track.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
The women beat Detroit today for their second win in a row. Now at 17 wins. I saw good and bad.  They are breaking the press again, and there was some serious boxing out on defensive rebounds. Unfortunately, they nearly blew a 17-point lead. A few glitches that could have tanked the game against a more talented team: (1) Long stretch in the middle of the second half where they didn't get the ball inside, and at times, it looked like they weren't trying. (2) Surprisingly, when they broke the press, there was suddenly massive confusion on the offense, like they didn't know what to do with the ball. Set up some bad situations that nearly cost the game. (3) Defense also a bit confused when the game was on the line. Detroit had three treys in the last 2-1/2 minutes.

Some clutch plays by Benjamin in the last 5-6 minutes. Schlegel was as dependable as ever.

Twenty wins definitely in the cards, especially if they get a bit more disciplined and win the next two on the road against Milwaukee and Valpo.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
Solid W. Gotta finish strong for the end of the season!