Author Topic: Women's Basketball!  (Read 88080 times)

Spiderlegs

Re: Women's Basketball!
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
I wish we were competitive today, but it was not to be. Akron has now become somewhat of a must-win for us.

I'm not convinced that this is a must-win situation. This game is the 2nd of a series of 7 games that is the hardest stretch of the schedule, which includes the four top teams in the conference back to back. If a young team like this wins only 2 or 3 of those, I'd say that they'd be doing well. They could lose all 7 and still end up with a very decent season.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
Big game tonight! Interested to see how we match up with the Lady Zips.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
Tough loss tonight against a good Cornell team... Time to regroup and get ready for conference play!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
UIC will not go away. They have two girls in foul trouble that have to sit, so we are up to a 7-point lead after a 12-2 run. They kill us on the boards. UIC could not shoot for their lives, but they are getting 2 and three chances as we cannot get a rebound. They have a 21-6 advantage right now. 64-57 good gals with 3:11 left in the game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:05 PM »
Good win tonight for the ladies! Big test ahead at GB on Saturday...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2015, 12:05:44 AM »
On paper this was a bad matchup.  UIC pressure all over the court vs. our freshmen guards.  We made plenty of mistakes early but then regained our composure and took control of the contest in the second half.  Well done ladies.  We can now go into Green Bay and play relaxed with no pressure.  Splitting these games (at worse) sets us up for a very good conference season (and beyond in some type of tournament.)

So glad that I stayed home tonight and watched the good university team on the computer.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2015, 05:15:47 AM »
Winning on the road is hard. I agree with Wick250 about the match-up. Winning this game after trailing in the 2nd half and coming of the loss to Cornell says alot about the team and coaching staff. This is the 2nd time in 2-3 weeks that YSU has bounced back with a win after a loss, and both were against solid teams.

Way to go Penguins!!!!!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Coach Barnes has the Lady Guins playing hard and never giving up. Their 3 point shooting has been very good and their foul shooting is fantastic. They are exciting to watch!!

On the other hand the Men's team lacks tenacity and are not exciting! In fact I quit watching them.

Keep it up Lady Guins.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »
Some of the sting of the loss to Pitt is wearing off. Pitt just beat No. 8 UNC 84-59 and Pitt's previous game was a 6-pt. loss to #7 Louisville.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 08:01:43 AM »
Worth noting this is going to be one of the biggest games in WBB this weekend.

#35 RPI YSU @ #8 RPI UWGB. We beat them twice last year by 9 points a piece I believe. This would be a huge win for us if we want a shot at an at-large for the NCAA tourney, which is not out of the question if we can keep our RPI in the 30-40s.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
Yes it is really the loss to Cornell that hurt. The gals are going to have to steal one that they are not expected to win. UWGB sounds just about right. Go Guins!!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
Will be interesting to see how Benjamin and Arbanas react to what they see from GB. Those two really stepped up in the 2nd half against UIC.

Barnes' bunch could turn into something amazing. Strong people at every position and no let up when the subs come in. Not many teams have this. Only YSU's inexperience is holding them back.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
Ouch. Looking forward for the comeback after the Green Bay loss.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
Disappointing but not unexpected.  We are not going to displace Green Bay at the top of this league while all those freshmen are roaming over the court.  Green Bay has defeated Purdue, Arizona State, Georgia Tech by 21 points, Wisconsin by 10, and Duquesne by 32. For the sake of comparison, Duquesne beat Pittsburgh by 10.

We will be fine.  We gained an advantage for second place with the win in Chicago.  We have one really hard road game left (although of course all road games are difficult.)  Wright State and UIC have three.  We just need to shake this off and prepare for Cleveland State in five days.  CSU can score but plays little defense.  That will be a refreshing change after this road trip.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
Went 1-1 on the road against 2 real good teams, I will sleep well tonight.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne