Author Topic: Women's Basketball!  (Read 87903 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Women's Basketball!
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
Just beat Kent 68-49, AT Kent!!! First time since 1996! For such a young team, with an AWESOME recruiting class coming in next year..... Better get on board with Coach Barnes and Co.......

The only program that's really going anywhere!

Great job ladies!!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:19:45 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Basketball!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »
Hopefully he doesnt go anywhere.............

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
My goodness, Ron Strollo, hired Coach Barnes.  Are the Strollo nay sayers paying attention?

Congrats to Coach and team.  Such a good win tonight.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
Not just winning at Kent, but dominating them late in the game. The lead never got smaller than 9 points in the 2nd half I believe! For a team that starts 2 freshman and a sophomore, man this is impressive. Way to go!!!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
Just beat Kent 68-49, AT Kent!!! First time since 1996! For such a young team, with an AWESOME recruiting class coming in next year..... Better get on board with Coach Barnes and Co.......

Great job ladies!!!!

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as everyone on this board seems to think the MAC is chump change compare to YSU.  This should be a gimme game for YSU.  Beating kent doesn't equal 2 All-Americans and a 3rd place finisher at the national meet, which I believe YSU's track and field team had last year.  Excitement is good.  But statements like this are just plain ridiculous.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

Great job ladies!!!!

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as everyone on this board seems to think the MAC is chump change compare to YSU.  This should be a gimme game for YSU.  Beating kent doesn't equal 2 All-Americans and a 3rd place finisher at the national meet, which I believe YSU's track and field team had last year.  Excitement is good.  But statements like this are just plain ridiculous.

It's a big deal because we have not beaten Kent in forever, men or women's basketball. As for my statement on the only program heading upward, I meant out of the 3 (Football, M- Baskeball, W- Basketball)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
Kent State stinks, as did Niagara, so we need to curtail our enthusiasm until we see how we stack up in league play.  Nevertheless, there are encouraging signs.  Ball movement and scoring distribution have been really good.  We could not throw the ball into an ocean in the first sixteen minutes, yet finished the game shooting 50%.  More impressive to me was the defensive intensity against a team that was taller at virtually every position.  We battled them even on the boards.  Their 6'4" center was not a factor in the game.  A second tall player who scored ten against us in the first half got nothing after intermission.  Kent scored 11 points in the second half until garbage time started at 61-38 with about four minutes left.  Overall a promising and unexpected start from a ridiculously young team.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
Always good to win!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »
Kent State stinks, as did Niagara, so we need to curtail our enthusiasm until we see how we stack up in league play.  Nevertheless, there are encouraging signs. 

Yes, but we wouldn't classify these games as games that shouldn't be played. The OOC schedule turns out to be a very smart one for a young team that needs time to gel--the weaker teams are toward the beginning and the tougher teams cluster at the end of the OOC schedule. (Was this an accident or done on purpose?) I'm looking at this and thinking to myself that this team hasn't even hit its stride yet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:57:56 AM by Spiderlegs »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Ladies destroyed Radford 70-44 today to improve to 3-0 on the season! Bucknell coming up on Tuesday at home.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Off to nice start. Have not played the highest quality of teams, but they are undefeated, and the team is getting a chance to gel, while new players get experience that will prove to be valuable as the season progresses.

GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
Nice job Ladies.   At least one program on the rise.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »
FWIW, YSU is favored to win their next 7 games, which would put them at 10-0 heading into Pitt. This is of course based on a computer, but it shows we have a great opportunity to start out this season's first 10 games with 2 losses or less!

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=267616

Spiderlegs

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
FWIW, YSU is favored to win their next 7 games, which would put them at 10-0 heading into Pitt. This is of course based on a computer, but it shows we have a great opportunity to start out this season's first 10 games with 2 losses or less!

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=267616

I've been watching the ratings, too, and they are still fluctuating a lot because of the SoS.  (If YSU wins a game, the other teams is then 0-1 or 0-2, so our SoS is low and the other team's is high.) However, I agree with the possibility of 10-0.  This week will be telling.  Bucknell will be a good test of how far this team has advanced. Still a lot of room to improve, but I have lots of confidence in Coach Barnes.

I recommend everyone show up Tuesday for the women, if they can. Get on board now before the bandwagon begins.  Horizon League is going to have lots of good WBB games this year.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
Tuesday will be a good test against a solid Bucknell team.