Author Topic: Women's Basketball!  (Read 86764 times)

Offline penguinpotter

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Basketball!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Anybody see this video from the women's basketball team? Looks awesome.

http://www.ellentube.com/media/My+Penguin+Shake/1_wwpyf1ex

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
Big test tonight against a good Bucknell team! Be nice to see some support for our ladies!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
Man what a good, tough win tonight for the ladies 69-54! Getting after it defensively and that's very good to see. 4-0 and keep it coming!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
Yes Bucknell kept coming back and the Lady Pens kept it tight. These were two very good teams!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
very nice win
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
Now that the game is recorded in the win column, I am glad that Bucknell made a run and cut our 14 point lead to 6 with under four minutes remaining.  First real pressure of the season.  We responded with a 9-0 run to close out the game.  Love the team defense.  Offense has been sporadic but it will come.

There are some really good teams in the Horizon League.  Green Bay beat Purdue and clobbered Marquette and Duquesne.  Wright State has a few exceptional athletes.  There will be some rough times as our team is very young and we are not very big.  But they are a pleasure to watch.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
"The YSU WBB team is filled with players that the big-time programs didn't want, and the schedule is filled with second-rate teams not going anywhere. Mark my words: This team will end the season below .500 and you'll be clamoring for Barnes to leave town."--Paladin.

No, Paladin didn't say this.  I made it up. Paladin has not participated in this thread yet, but I am trying to anticipate what he will say when he arrives. Sorry, Pally, but you have a reputation.

Barnes said in his interview earlier in the week that he had not worked much with the offense yet. Imagine what will happen if the offense becomes as good as the D we saw last night. The 9-0 run at the end came out of nowhere.

Here's a kudo to Kelsea Newman, who keeps coming off the bench to spark the team. Most improved player from last year.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
Benjamin might be one of the quickest girls I've ever seen on a basketball court.. And she can really shoot the ball well too. She's small but she can really ball. Great find by Barnes!

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
YSU Mens and women's basketball both compete at the 1a level. Time for the YSU football team to the same.
The women's basketball team has a long tough schedule. Barring injuries, the YSU women look like contenders.............

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
1a ...ALL I-AA/FCS schools that have basketball programs cannot compete at the IA/FBS level, as no such NCAA distinction exists outside of football. Obviously Butler does not play any type of lower-division basketball (ask the former #5 Tar Heels) do they?

In the old days (pre-1984) an individual school could compete at different levels. For example Dayton was DI in basketball and baseball, while being D-III in football. In 1984, the NCAA created the Non-scholarship DI (as part of I-AA) as a way to keep these schools DI in all sports.

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
Ok, instead of 1a basketball lets call it as does the NCAA ,Div1 basketball. YSU basketball teams are both DIV 1 not Div 11 or Div 111. In other words the YSU basketball teams play at the highest NCAA level. Also there  is the NAIA.   Regardless, YSU plays basketball at the highest level, no matter the reason. YSU should also participate in football at the highest level.................

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Ok, instead of 1a basketball lets call it as does the NCAA ,Div1 basketball. YSU basketball teams are both DIV 1 not Div 11 or Div 111. In other words the YSU basketball teams play at the highest NCAA level. Also there  is the NAIA.   Regardless, YSU plays basketball at the highest level, no matter the reason. YSU should also participate in football at the highest level.................

So do you think Maryland or A&M took our spot     fb
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:08:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

So do you think Maryland or A&M took our spot     fb
No, it was Troy. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:16:57 PM by IAA Fan »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
WHEW!

@YSUsports: WBB: YSU escapes with a 51-50 win over Nicholls State. Benjamin hit a FT with 7 seconds left for the win. Guins were 12-for-14 on FTs in 2nd

Spiderlegs

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
Against Nicholls State: Defense was once again spectacular, but one of the ugliest offense performances I've seen from YSU women in a long time. Trying to dribble through people, telegraphing passes, and the return of the infamous pass to nowhere from the pre-WNIT era. Really hope Barnes fixes the offense soon. I have lots of confidence in him, but this one was tough to watch.