Author Topic: The Tressel Movement  (Read 56974 times)

kforbs126

Re: The Tressel Movement
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Looks like YSU might end up with egg on their face if Tressel decides on Akron.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
As a casual observer, I would put the odds at 70% Akron, 20% YSU, and 10% something else.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
"On the topic of finances, Tressel said the university [AKRON] budget isn't where it needs to be, and university officials need to pledge to produce a sound spending plan for fiscal year 2016."

Hmmm, I wonder what he could be alluding to? Perhaps the massive debt, athletics?

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
He is already on record that if selected as Akron's Prez, he will cut what he perceives as overstaffing in administration, according to the Beacon Journal.

He should know  , lol

kforbs126

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »
If he's up for both jobs what are the salary comparisons?  I haven't read any articles where they talk about salary but I would think if Akron offers a lot more than he'd take that job. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
kforbs,

If it came down to money it would be no contest.  Akron pays their current president $500,000 compared to our $375,000.  But consider that Tressel is a multi-millionaire.  He also is in line for a monster retirement from the state which will be based upon his three highest years of service...the million dollar years as OSU football coach.  Presidential salary at either place would not impact his retirement.

I just wonder what benefits Akron sees from choosing Tressel.  Any university that hires a famous football coach as president will become a laughingstock in the academic community from coast to coast.  I am prepared to endure such ridicule because I believe that Tressel has unique fund-raising and public relations talent....for the Mahoning Valley.  Does that talent transfer to Akron?  I don't know.  Akron shares a metro area with Kent State.  Akron is also fifty miles closer to Columbus and has a deeper case of the OSU illness than we do.  Significantly, it was the "money crowd" from the Mahoning Valley that started the Tressel push.  I am not aware of anything similar in metro Akron.  Indeed, there is evidence to suggest that the "money crowd" in Akron supports their university at a less impressive rate than their counterparts here support YSU.  Consider that the YSU endowment is actually larger than Akron, despite our obviously smaller size.  Also, Akron's massive long term debt, 5.5 times more than ours, suggests that the money crowd in Akron gives less and forces that university to borrow more.  Don't get me wrong.  Tressel has considerable talent and would work very hard.  But could he deliver OUTSIDE the Mahoning Valley?  That remains an open question.

kforbs126

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
kforbs,

If it came down to money it would be no contest.  Akron pays their current president $500,000 compared to our $375,000.  But consider that Tressel is a multi-millionaire.  He also is in line for a monster retirement from the state which will be based upon his three highest years of service...the million dollar years as OSU football coach.  Presidential salary at either place would not impact his retirement.

I just wonder what benefits Akron sees from choosing Tressel.  Any university that hires a famous football coach as president will become a laughingstock in the academic community from coast to coast.  I am prepared to endure such ridicule because I believe that Tressel has unique fund-raising and public relations talent....for the Mahoning Valley.  Does that talent transfer to Akron?  I don't know.  Akron shares a metro area with Kent State.  Akron is also fifty miles closer to Columbus and has a deeper case of the OSU illness than we do.  Significantly, it was the "money crowd" from the Mahoning Valley that started the Tressel push.  I am not aware of anything similar in metro Akron.  Indeed, there is evidence to suggest that the "money crowd" in Akron supports their university at a less impressive rate than their counterparts here support YSU.  Consider that the YSU endowment is actually larger than Akron, despite our obviously smaller size.  Also, Akron's massive long term debt, 5.5 times more than ours, suggests that the money crowd in Akron gives less and forces that university to borrow more.  Don't get me wrong.  Tressel has considerable talent and would work very hard.  But could he deliver OUTSIDE the Mahoning Valley?  That remains an open question.

Thanks Wick just the explanation I've been looking for.  The vindy articles and local news just hasn't cut as usual.  I think you are right though, he doesn't really have much appeal in Akron other than former OSU coach.  Here he is loved and even though the pay is lower YSU is in a better financial situation. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
As a casual observer, I would put the odds at 70% Akron, 20% YSU, and 10% something else.
I have different take on this. The two other finalists in Akron are very strong and are from the academic side. The faculty union was quoted to be not in favor of Tressel. The faculty in Akron just received a 6% paid raise last year. It showed you their influence on the administration.
However, at YSU, one of the finalist has lots of issues at SOU and the other one is also a finalist at another institution. The faculty at YSU has been neutral on Tressel and the faculty carries no weight at all for this board (the academic senate recommended to the BOT to include a faculty from each college to join the search committee and the faculty were totally excluded). Therefore, the faculty is not a factor here at YSU.
 The Youngstown community has been very supportive for Tressel. I am sure the BOT is aware of the of this. If Tressel can raise funds for YSU and attract students, it might get YSU out of the financial problems. On the academic side, I think he will hire a strong provost to run the academic side of the university.
I think the odds are 20% Akron, 50% YSU and 30% others.
If he received offers from both schools, it will be 70% Akron since he is working there. If he chooses YSU, it is because of the community support which makes his fund raising easier and because YSU's long term debt situation is better than Akron.
We will find out next week.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
For what it is worth, the student government at Akron today expressed their preference for the provost from Toledo.  These students probably sense, correctly, that Tressel would be of little value to them since his strengths are in another geographic area and would not transfer.  So no support from the faculty or students.  What Akron trustees believe is another matter.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
For what it is worth, the student government at Akron today expressed their preference for the provost from Toledo.  These students probably sense, correctly, that Tressel would be of little value to them since his strengths are in another geographic area and would not transfer.  So no support from the faculty or students.  What Akron trustees believe is another matter.
By reading their message boards, they have a lot of apprehension about picking Tressel. They in no way like the fact that Akron is competing with Youngstown State for a Presidential hopeful. As a YSU grad that knows Akron grads, this idea that Akron, or Kent for that matter, are superior institutions than YSU is far from the truth. Each school has its strengths and weaknesses, but just because one is double the size of the other does not make it any better.

Still think Tressel selects YSU over UA if given the option.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »
Wick, can you provide us some links stating Akron's Student Gov and Faculty support Toledo's provost?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
IMHO....Tressel is the best choice for either school. What all colleges, universities.....heck..any instituion (public or private) needs is a leader. A winner!!!

The academic credential argument is nonsense. All organizations are best run thru sound leadership and practical business protocols. The idea is to win. In every arena.

The business of America....(Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School") .....is business. As silly and as simple as that sounds.....those of us who create jobs....to pay taxes...and keep big institutions afloat.......understand this.

Fairness is in the opportunity.......not the outcome.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:01:20 PM by Pizza »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »
Valley,

Channel 21 interviewed the Akron student government rep for Monday's newscasts.  That body definitely expressed support for the Toledo provost to their Board of Trustees.  For faculty, I was referring to the comments from Double ET.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
It is not going to affect me personally one way or the other who is hired. With that being said, as an Alum and person who still cares about YSU, I hope Jim Tressel is named the next President by the end of this week. I think he would do an excellent job at YSU. I believe he would do his job as President with the same amount of passion and success that he did as a football coach. He is a highly intelligent person, and he will surround himself with people who are able to have success.

I believe it is also important to hire a person who has the backing of many, not all, of the most prominent and wealthy "movers and shakers" in the Y-town area. These people bring with them support and MONEY. And, with the level of funding for Higher Education decreasing, it is more important than ever to have a President at YSU that knows how to win people over. Tressel has the ability to win people over, and I also believe as President he would be the kind of person who is highly visible and approachable to the student's.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
Breaking News!  This might be BIG!

Three unions on campus, INCLUDING the faculty, have just endorse Tressel for president.  On Monday, Tressel stated that the faculty would be a crucial determinant if by some chance both schools selected him. Well....!