Author Topic: The Tressel Movement  (Read 57096 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Tressel Movement
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
ELPENGUIN,

What is the new Beeghly you are talking about?

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
Not so fast my Boston man.  One of the problems facing students today is they are being taught by professors who are out of the loop.....the real world.  My own education process hardly related to my work.  Actually the corporation I worked for made it a point to hire college graduates and place then in areas outside of their area of study. All that most major corporations wanted out of graduates before and now is the question can the graduate preform disciplined enough to take direction and follow the corporate policy.  No doubt most universities have missed the boat.  My advice to any student is ......Get real life instruction from those professors who have worked in real life not the "namby bamby researcher" who all they do is write text books and charge huge fees to purchase textbooks good for only one year.  I undersatnd that is where the money is.

Not so fast my Bostonian man.  Jim Tressel had more than enough experience to lead.  Athletic Directorship, and coaching at a major university is no more than delegating responsibility and making sure the boys are as they say "coached up".  You handle discipline, recruiting, finances, hire/fire, plan, strategize............and of course this accomplished under pressure of 16 or more hours a day.

On a sort of personal note, our corporation hired Tressel to conduct seminars on productivity, morale, leadership. and motivation.  His presentations were right on the money and he had the corporate men wanting more of his philosophy and strategies.  Believe me he is what this university needs for the 21st century. As a another side note, I understand that close to 30% of university presidents hired are now from the corporate world.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

ValleyTalk

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »
I feel Jim Tressel can successfully LEAD and GROW Youngstown State. He can appeal to younger students and I feel having him speak at high school events on campus can only help our case when we compete with local colleges.

Jim Tressel's biggest hire will be provost. Of he can surround himself with a top notch staff, which he has done in all of his positions, he will succeed here.

Far too many local high schoolers have this "ehhhh" feeling about YSU. I'm not far removed from those days and I'm well aware that it is still the case. We need to change the perception of our university if we want to make it a university with 16-18k students vs 12-14k.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
At first, I thought Jim Tressel being President of YSU would be a big mistake. But, then I thought about the posts by Wick250. I thought about the fact that fund raising is a huge part of being a University President. I thought about how much support Tressel has from prominent members of the Ytown/Warren area, most(or all) of whom are financial donors to YSU. Some donate as individuals, some through their companies, and others do both. Also, many of these people attended college, and did so at schools OTHER than YSU. These people have a vested interest in YSU being a quality University, because in many cases graduates from YSU will be applying for jobs at these companies. And, almost all of the business owners supporting Tressel likely have at least a few YSU students as employees.

Tressel's ability to network, raise funds, interact with students and people in general, would all be highly valuable in this position. I could see Tressel being highly visible on campus. Being a President that students could talk with about things pertaining to their education, the campus, or just having a conversation. That is his nature, and in time word of YSU having a President who actually cares about the students, the University and the entire community would spread well beyond the Ytown/Warren area.

I also spoke with a person I know who is originally from another country. She came to the US to go to college, and has both a Bachelor's and Masters Degree from schools here in the US. This person is not a huge sports person, and had never heard of Jim Tressel before meeting me. I asked her if a college she was considering attending had a person with Tressel's background as President, but an "academic" as the Provost if this would turn her away from a school, or cause her to not look at a school. She said no, having a person who had made their name in athletics would not deter her from attending a college. And, the fact said President was so well respected in the community, and had the personable nature of a Jim Tressel would even be viewed as a positive. My friend graduated with honors in earning both her Bachelor's and Masters. She also comes from a country where schools do not have sports teams.

The likelihood Tressel would leave YSU in 1-2 years if hired is slim. I know there are people who think he still wants to coach football. And, he may still have a desire to coach football. But, he also has a desire to do other things. I truly believe if hired as President of YSU, he would stay in that position as long as his health allowed him to do what it takes to get the job done.

I really believe this can work at YSU. Tressel as President, and then a highly regarded
"academic" as Provost, who is in charge of the academic functions of the University. With YSU receiving less and less money each year from the state of Ohio, it is more important than ever that YSU have a President who can raise money and who knows how to deal with people as people.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:21:16 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »
I hope JT is selected as the next YSU president.

Some people are mediocre, and just get by (gee...who might I be referring to?).  Others are doers get the job done.  Tressel is the later.  Continuing with the Dunn's and Anderson's will give us similar results as we've had.  Maybe enrollment, athletics, academics, funding, and campus infrastructure at YSU can make progress like other schools have seen.

He has shown a commitment to YSU, and I believe would be an effective University president.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
I hope JT is selected as the next YSU president.

Some people are mediocre, and just get by (gee...who might I be referring to?).  Others are doers get the job done.  Tressel is the later.  Continuing with the Dunn's and Anderson's will give us similar results as we've had.  Maybe enrollment, athletics, academics, funding, and campus infrastructure at YSU can make progress like other schools have seen.

He has shown a commitment to YSU, and I believe would be an effective University president.
How long til the academic unions put up a fuss about this to the local media? They got their way four years ago with Dr. Anderson and she left town after three years. They got another academic who left town after seven months on the job in Dr. Dunn. Perhaps some of these academics aren't best fit to handle the overall day to day business dealings of the campus, i.e. labor negotiations, budgeting, fundraising, etc.

List of applicants should come out this week. Prepare not to be floored by many of the other applicants for the job.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »
Frankly, I am not interested in him at anything less that AD/HC ...even that is questionable. I mean our salary for president is not exactly what he is making now anyway. I hope he takes the Akron job temporarily and goes back to coaching in 2-years ...has some success and retires into an AD job. Take the guy from Toledo and move on. I think he applied earlier, so he may have interest. UT has the exact type of sports program that we want.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
Ok so I will play the devils advocate. Did JT apply because he really wants the job or did he apply as a courtesy to all those folks that were pushing for him?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
He applied for LEVERAGE between two institutions who have some fans of his-- he'll leverage one against the other   in getting the "best job" he can get at the best terms and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
I think your spot on about the LEVERAGE.... They need to interview him 1st and offer immediately to call his bluff (If he is what they want)....  BOTs has had enough experience interviewing ALL the recent candidates....

ValleyTalk

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »
Per the people I've talked with with knowledge, he is very interested in the job and we have a great chance of landing him. Go read up on the audited financial statements of each school and you'll find his major concern with Akron. With funding cuts, that is a problem that I wouldn't want to touch.

UA:
https://ohioauditor.gov/auditsearch/Reports/2014/University_of_Akron_13-Summit.pdf
--$513 million in long term debt

YSU:
https://ohioauditor.gov/auditsearch/Reports/2014/Youngstown_State_University_13-Mahoning.pdf
--$82 million in long term debt
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:15:24 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

are you serious ? Akron has a net of  $493 million vs YSU's $192 million.  And has a great deal of fat to cut if need be. YSU ?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
None of us are qualified to interpret the significance of these accounting figures.  Well, Indy knows this stuff perfectly, but the toxic atmosphere on this board drove him away.  Here is one fact that is not subject to conjecture: The University of Akron recently cut 10% of their academic programs!  That happens at struggling, obscure private colleges, but it might have never taken place before at a state school in the United States.  By contrast, even in these difficult times, YSU has added programs in the STEM college and a doctoral degree in physical therapy.  But hey, Akron is in the MAC.  They are "Big Time."  How much of that $513 million debt was acquired as Akron pursued their sports delusion....obviously at the expense of academics.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
None of us are qualified to interpret the significance of these accounting figures.
I do this for a living my friend.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
He applied for LEVERAGE between two institutions who have some fans of his-- he'll leverage one against the other   in getting the "best job" he can get at the best terms and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

100% Agree.  AND I would like to add ahtat the school is suffering from the mediocrity that is "Academic Administration".  Every state institution is suffering from this disease.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:13:33 PM by penguinpower »