Author Topic: New Women's Basketball Commit  (Read 4136 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
New Women's Basketball Commit
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
Per Bret McCormick:

"Bre Berryman 6-5 2015 C Indian Creek Wintersville OH has verbally pledged to Youngstown State."

Wow, 6-5! She was player of the year as a freshman, earned 2nd team All-State this past year. Barnes is bringing some elite talent.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/181858/bri-berryman
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:38:16 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New Women's Basketball Commit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
Not sure what kind of compition they play but 6' 5" is 6' 5". You can't coach height. Welcome to Ytown BB.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Youngstown State picks up two nice verbals from the class of 2015. Bri Berryman 6'5 post from Indian Creek and Jill Blacksten 6'2 wing from Newark Catholic.

Last week we landed a 6'2 recruit from Newark Catholic. We are also recruiting Tamaya Beachum from Ursuline who is a force down low. Imagine Brandi Brown, but perhaps better in her.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »
Barnes snagged another impressive recruit:
"Congrats to Lima Senior's Indiya Benjamin, who signed with Youngstown St. She was released from Binghamton signing when the coach was fired."

The 5-foot, 6-inch point guard scored 16.9 points and averaged 6.9 assists a game for the Spartans last season.

Small in size, but looks like she packs a punch. In women's ball, height is not nearly as big a factor as it is in men's ball. As long as we have size down low, you can have some smaller guards.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »
Interesting signing. Benjamin had previously signed a LOI to attend Binghampton in November. Unless NCAA rules have changed, by her signing the LOI with Binghampton, she would have to sit out her first year at YSU. An LOI is binding, unlike a verbal commit. Trust me, I know from personal experience in another sport. Althout, this was in 1986, which is why I say rules may have changed. And, I was RELEASED by the school with which I signed my LOI. Had I not been released, I would have had to sit out 2 years, instead of just 1.

I did notice that the HC at Binghampton was fired, but when one signs an LOI, it states CLEARLY that a person is signing WITH THE SCHOOL and not the coaching staff.  Of course, this is total BS in the real world, but the NCAA has never been accused of operating in the REAL WORLD and erring on the side of STUDENT-ATHLETES.

As for her as a basketball player, I like this signing. Lima Senior is D1, so she would have played against quality competition in high school. Just as important, she played AAU for All Ohio, which is one of the top AAU Programs in the entire country. The fact she played AAU for All Ohio tells me more than her being first team All State at Lima Senior.

Here are some of the players who have played AAU for All Ohio:
Barbara Turner - Miss Basketball and All American at OSU and played/is playing in WNBA
Tyra Grant - Miss Basketball, and All American at Penn State
Courtney Davidson - 1st team All Ohio and played at Michigan State
Jantel Lavender - Miss Basketball, ?First Team All American at OSU and playing in WNBA
Brittney Hunter - High School All American..played at UCONN
Mel Thomas - High School All American... played at UCONN
Kelsey Mitchell - 2014 Ohio Miss Basketball.... signed with OSU
Jessica Davenport - 1st round WNBA pick in 2007