Author Topic: The Tressel Movement  (Read 56611 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: The Tressel Movement
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
Given the list of applicants, I am even more certain that hiring Jim Tressel would be the best thing for YSU. This is provided YSU goes after a person with a strong academic background to be Provost, and then there is an agreement that the Provost would be in charge of all academic affairs.

I have a proposal I think could work out well. Hire Jim Tressel as President, and Dr Martin Abraham as Provost. Fill both positions at the same time. Dr. Abraham has a solid academic background, and is familiar with YSU. With this arrangement, Dr. Abraham can focus on ACADEMICS and RESEARCH, while Jim Tressel handles fund raising, PR and all of the non academic related functions that come with being a University President.

Also, no matter who is hired, I hope the Board of Trustees is smart enough to put a clause in the contract that the new President stay at least a minimum of 5 years, or else have a significant financial penalty be paid the YSU.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
Valley,

Excellent.  Using your expertise, please give our friend Paladin a more detailed explanation why having a $513 million debt is a very bad thing for the long term prospects of a university.  He won't believe you but give it a shot anyway. :o

Let's Talk,

You stole my idea about Tressel-Abraham from the other thread.  I beat you to it by eleven minutes. 8)  But you can have it.  Let's just hope the trustees are wise enough to move in that direction.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
Wick, sorry for stealing your idea. But, great minds think alike  ::)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
;D ;D ;D

are you serious ? Akron has a net of  $493 million vs YSU's $192 million.  And has a great deal of fat to cut if need be. YSU ?
I hope you realize you made mention of each University's net position, which is the non-profits version of retained earnings. That is in no way the net profit, or in the non-profit world, change in net position for the University. All that tells me is that over the history of each University, there were years where they took in more revenue than expenses. If you note in the case of Akron, their "net," as you like to refer to it as, decreased by $14.1 million over the last year as they had that deficit in revenue less expenses. For YSU, it actually increased by $670,000 as the University took in greater revenue over expenses.

When you look deeper into the audited financial statements, you note a long term debt schedule which displays the principal plus interest owed by the University each year for the next X number of years. In the case of Akron, page 25 of the audited statements shows that they will owe $30-31 million per year in principal plus interest on their long term debt through 2023. Conversely, in the case of YSU, page 40 of the audited statements shows that YSU will owe between $5.3-$5.8 million per year in principal plus interest on their long term debt through 2023. Please do explain to me how having debt payments 5.5 times that of YSU over the next decade is better for Akron? You really have me scratching my head on that one. That is fat that they simply cannot trim; they must pay it.

Oh, and for the fun of it, you can read about the state of each University's athletic program in these reports. Akron's is on page 73 (of the PDF), while YSU's is on page 75 (of the PDF).

Long story short, it is nice to get big beautiful new buildings, but in the long run, you are certainly going to have to pay the price. In the case of Akron, they are really going to be feeling the effects of this debt for years to come.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:33:50 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
Yep, I'm with you. I hate  debt and don't do it myself. BUT, Akron has considerable more income than YSU and has the money to finance the debt at historic  low interest rates. All parties concerned have made a judgment that they can handle the debt and if pinched, Akron, being a larger school with more of everything does in fact have more to cut if a problem arises. YSU  does not.  In this case, as in most businesses, size matters. The big corporation (Akron) has more to work with and better flexibility than a Mom & Pop (YSU).   The picture you paint  is suggesting that JT  would be a fool not to take the YSU job instead of Akron. I'm leaning that he plans to take the Akron job and use the offer of the YSU job to leverage Akron for top $$$$$$$$$$$ as their next Prez.

Didn't bother to read the athletic stuff. This was about Tressel and what job he'll take. I suspect its Akron, despite your review. 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
BTW, I should have mentioned that at JT age, I don't see him being around for an extended "career" as a Prez.  Both Akron and YSU will be around for a long time to come, despite the debt, declining enrollment ( YSU) and in urban areas of decay as commuter schools. Tressel has maybe a 5 -10 year horizon. He'll ride off into the sunset with his white hat on. That is the way both schools look at him. Just checked the Akron list of candidates and guess who the only non-doctor candidate applied ? 

;D ;D ;D

The skids are greased !

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
ValleyTalk,

Thanks.  As expected, Paladin does not believe you  :D but I learned a lot.  30 million in yearly debt service.  Incredible.  That explains Akron's 10% slashing of their academic programs, and that still won't be enough.  Good Luck indeed to the guy who takes their job.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Akron chooses Tressel as one of three finalists, today!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
And a YSU finalist today.... fascinating.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
OK, now I am really, really angry.  Martin Abraham was, by far, the most qualified "traditional" candidate on that list.  If you have been following the presidential search here on this thread, you know that Let's Talk and I have been campaigning for Tressel as president and Abraham as provost, with Abraham receiving excellent pay and complete control over academic affairs.  Well, our trustees failed to name Abraham to the list of six finalists.  He is light years superior to the nonentities that made the cut with Tressel, including the obligatory woman, someone that works for NASA, and another that runs a freakin' school for the blind!  What do these trustees plan to do if Tressel accepts the Akron job, now that they have thoroughly alienated their best academic choice?  I guess this is what happens when you allow politicians, Republican and Democrat, to appoint people to vital positions of power.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
OK, now I am really, really angry.  Martin Abraham was, by far, the most qualified "traditional" candidate on that list.  If you have been following the presidential search here on this thread, you know that Let's Talk and I have been campaigning for Tressel as president and Abraham as provost, with Abraham receiving excellent pay and complete control over academic affairs.  Well, our trustees failed to name Abraham to the list of six finalists.  He is light years superior to the nonentities that made the cut with Tressel, including the obligatory woman, someone that works for NASA, and another that runs a freakin' school for the blind!  What do these trustees plan to do if Tressel accepts the Akron job, now that they have thoroughly alienated their best academic choice?  I guess this is what happens when you allow politicians, Republican and Democrat, to appoint people to vital positions of power.

I have not seen the list but all I can say is that I agree. 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
Wick, I was as shocked as you that Abraham did not appear on the six list.  However, do you remember it was said on the news when a list of six and an additional list of three was being selected, each person would be asked if they wished to be considered?  I am wondering "IF" Abraham declined.  Could be very interesting IF Akron, tomorrow (or any time prior to YSU's choice, took JT.  Not the end of the world, I am sure, but interesting.'

ValleyTalk

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »
Wick, I was as shocked as you that Abraham did not appear on the six list.  However, do you remember it was said on the news when a list of six and an additional list of three was being selected, each person would be asked if they wished to be considered?  I am wondering "IF" Abraham declined.  Could be very interesting IF Akron, tomorrow (or any time prior to YSU's choice, took JT.  Not the end of the world, I am sure, but interesting.'
Judging by his reaction in the media, I don't think he declined at all as he was never given the option to decline. Perhaps he was on the "B" list, but it is safe to say he was definitely not on the "A" list.

We still do not know if he will be chosen as the provost at NIU. Perhaps what is more interesting is the fact Mr. Abraham applied for the NIU position on March 2nd, a full 2 weeks after Dunn resigned as YSU President. Read his application, if you have a lot of time to kill, here: http://www.niu.edu/u_council/Provost_Search/Abraham-CV.pdf

Perhaps that is something to ponder? Who knows.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
For the benefit of those who live out-of-town, Tressel was named one of the three finalists for the position after the weekend interviews.  The other two are the woman from Southern Oregon and the man from UNC-Wilmington.  Neither of those "candidates" could match up with Martin Abraham in any type of objective contest.  Heaven help these trustees, and heaven help YSU, if they bypass Tressel or if Tressel chooses Akron instead.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »
People I talk to around Akron are still confident he is their next Prez....