Author Topic: 2020 Football Season  (Read 43738 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Football Season
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.
This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount.

Not necessarily true, Phillips was making less at UC as running backs coach than he is at YSU. Some P5 assistants certainly make a lot though. I think Phillips will stay unless offered a coordinator position at a big time g5 program or a P5 school, he’s 52 and seemed excited to come home. Doesn’t feel so much like a stepping stone to me. Sure if he gets a massive coordinator offer I wouldn’t be surprised but just another positions coach seems unlikely to me

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.
This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount.

Not necessarily true, Phillips was making less at UC as running backs coach than he is at YSU. Some P5 assistants certainly make a lot though. I think Phillips will stay unless offered a coordinator position at a big time g5 program or a P5 school, he’s 52 and seemed excited to come home. Doesn’t feel so much like a stepping stone to me. Sure if he gets a massive coordinator offer I wouldn’t be surprised but just another positions coach seems unlikely to me
Secret is he has no series of P5 9 win seasons to fall back on for credibility like Bo did.  DP NEEDS success to earn his creds.  I agree, but I think JT was pretty secure here, but the prestige and $$$ was too much.  Frankly I think Bo would have stayed except for the MILLIONS!  We NEED success on the field, DP needs success on the field.  Let's hope we both get what we need! Frankly this roster is good enough to make the playoffs in every area but the huge ?? OL.  I will be disappointed with less than 7-5
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
They have started replacing the turf at Stambaugh.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
Great!  Big question:  Pete or Y on the 50?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »

I believe it will be Pete

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »

Great!  Not universally loved I know, but my #1!!
Thanks for the update!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »

Chief this is the best news I have heard in a long time. Thank you for sharing. Please post updates when it is finished if you can. Would love to see how it looks!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »

Great!  Not universally loved I know, but my #1!!
Thanks for the update!

Same, I’ll be so disappointed if it’s not Pete

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2020, 04:26:49 PM »
Looks like Pete is gone ...Boooo!! Cowards! At first it was Pete, then a mixture of Pete and the block-Y, now just the block-Y; which is what they had planned the whole time. It is as bad as politicians leaking bad news out on Friday night. Next we will hear the standard ... 'it was a tough decision...blah, blah, blah'.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
They were originally going to keep Pete but looks like they are going to the block Y like in Beeghly. I like it.

They are also going to have different end zones.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
Surprised they are facing West. Guess the loges mean more than TV. I have not seen my envelope yet, but I hear all seats are reserved. Anyone get theirs yet and confirm?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »
I have not gotten anything.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
Surprised they are facing West. Guess the loges mean more than TV. I have not seen my envelope yet, but I hear all seats are reserved. Anyone get theirs yet and confirm?

Makes sense to me, it’s still the “home” stands, would probably seem strange to face the visitors stands even though TV is over there.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2020, 10:34:55 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts on the guarantee for the games? I think they do plan on a regular season, but the guarantee makes you wonder.