Author Topic: 2020 Football Season  (Read 43242 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Football Season
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
My belief is football will be played this fall.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 06:06:40 PM »
My belief is football will be played this fall.

I hope so. we need to demand it

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
Demand football being played, lol.  You are so shortsighted.   What happens when a college football team has several players test positive?   Who is paying for the testing?  What happens when a coaching staff tests positive?

YSU like many colleges are laying off staff and pay cuts are happening and have taken place, but you want to charter a jet and fly YSU 4 times across the country and yet there likely is no or little revenue coming into the program?  Each charter costs at least 80 thousand dollars.

This isn't Ohio State where there are millions of dollars coming in from television contracts.

Mortality rate is 0.4% How is that any different on what happened in 2009 -2010?  We didn't stop sports for it. Same rate exactly.  The disease has been here since it November and 33% of people don't even know they have it.  A few more months and we should reach herd immunity levels.

Where are you getting that 0.4 % number from?

As of yesterday Mahoning County had 1310 confirmed cases and 162 deaths, that figures out to over 12 %.
First, as anybody (including you) know the confirmed cases equals a SMALL % of total cases and to do mortality rates, you need to divide deaths by the TOTAL infection rate.
Last I looked at our roster, I saw "very few" 70+ aged players.  I thing the death rate among YSU player ages is even lower, like .02%, or less than driving, drinking or drugs.
Look at the life cycle of any of these flu or corona virus.  By July we should be about -0- infection rates.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
Demand football being played, lol.  You are so shortsighted.   What happens when a college football team has several players test positive?   Who is paying for the testing?  What happens when a coaching staff tests positive?

YSU like many colleges are laying off staff and pay cuts are happening and have taken place, but you want to charter a jet and fly YSU 4 times across the country and yet there likely is no or little revenue coming into the program?  Each charter costs at least 80 thousand dollars.

This isn't Ohio State where there are millions of dollars coming in from television contracts.

Mortality rate is 0.4% How is that any different on what happened in 2009 -2010?  We didn't stop sports for it. Same rate exactly.  The disease has been here since it November and 33% of people don't even know they have it.  A few more months and we should reach herd immunity levels.

Where are you getting that 0.4 % number from?

As of yesterday Mahoning County had 1310 confirmed cases and 162 deaths, that figures out to over 12 %.
First, as anybody (including you) know the confirmed cases equals a SMALL % of total cases and to do mortality rates, you need to divide deaths by the TOTAL infection rate.
Last I looked at our roster, I saw "very few" 70+ aged players.  I thing the death rate among YSU player ages is even lower, like .02%, or less than driving, drinking or drugs.
Look at the life cycle of any of these flu or corona virus.  By July we should be about -0- infection rates.

I ran the numbers according to the CDC guidance model and it preducts that 115,714 people in Mahoning county have or had the virus already.  As of 2019 there are 228,683 people there so if you live there you have a ~50/50 chance of having antibodies because odds are that you are asymptomatic based on CDC information. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:03:59 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
Starting to stray from Football. That article showing only one returning O lineman is very concerning to me. O hope we give a bit stronger up there this year. Need to get that run game back up to par.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
So allow me to play the Devil’s Advocate for a moment

In 71 maybe 72 my accounting professor started out by asking the class what 1 + 1 was. We looked at each other and wondered how we should answer this simple question. Two?

His reply was; what do you want it to be? Point being that numbers can be massaged to support a desired conclusion.

I am not saying that your numbers are wrong, just suggesting that they  need to be taken with a grain of salt.

By using CDC info should we really believe that half of Mahoning County either has the virus, has had the virus or has antibodies preventing the virus? Seems very unlikely to me.

I only know three people that have the virus, friends. Can I make a case that I only know 6 people in Mahoning County? My professor would make a case that I could.

All three are in their 40's and all three have been fighting it for 3-5 weeks. Not a fun time for them, lost work is the least of their problems, but since they have not died I guess it is not a big deal that they have it.

Let us assume that 115,000 plus people do have it, how would you like to be an 80 year old sitting at a game wondering if the person next to you is one of THEM? Wait the CDC suggests that we may be ok if we stay 6 feet apart and we all wear masks. Like that is going to happen.

Like I said just playing the Devil's Advocate.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »
Starting to stray from Football. That article showing only one returning O lineman is very concerning to me. O hope we give a bit stronger up there this year. Need to get that run game back up to par.

This is why we will finish toward the bottom of the conference.  A miracle will need to happen otherwise. We are in a rebuild again

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »

This is why we will finish toward the bottom of the conference.  A miracle will need to happen otherwise. We are in a rebuild again
last years OL was marginal at best.  Did fine against cupcakes, got killed against MVFC teams except last game. 
Yes, Becker is only returning starter, but a bunch of the back-ups had significant playing time, and should not play like true freshman.  Truth is a couple the guys gone won't be missed, and time to give younger guys a chance.  Frankly they can't be much worse.  Zinni was OK and Jones was pretty good until he took the cheap shot, but otherwise, I hope they got good educations.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »
 Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

But bigger issue is the conference is stronger than ever, and was very evident last year.  It is much more than top heavy, Southern Illinois beat us by 25, and they deserved a playoff berth;  they have just about everyone back, they did graduate all american safety Jeremy Chinn.  South Dakota scored 56 on us, they had a top 15 recruiting class, and although they graduated a good QB, they have many returning.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

But bigger issue is the conference is stronger than ever, and was very evident last year.  It is much more than top heavy, Southern Illinois beat us by 25, and they deserved a playoff berth;  they have just about everyone back, they did graduate all american safety Jeremy Chinn.  South Dakota scored 56 on us, they had a top 15 recruiting class, and although they graduated a good QB, they have many returning.
Nobody is talking about missing spring ball, because there is nothing to talk about, but it's a HUGE deal for a new HC and staff and going into the season with a new QB to boot.  DP and his staff have their hands full anyway, even without COVID-19  Plus we start out with a renewal game against Akron and have only one cupcake on the schedule, and even Duquesne is better than they've been sometimes.   this is going to be tough sledding until (or if) the OL jells.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:03 PM »
On the one hand, infectious disease experts around the world are treating this as a serious problem.  On the other hand, some anonymous internet poster doesn't agree.  Boy---this is tough.

Dude should drive around in his truck making videos about his views

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 08:33:39 PM »

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
That is why the Bo experiment was a waste of time,  He was not going to stay at YSU.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.
This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »

This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount.

If a big time program is after him that means he has done something good at YSU, so that is good for us. Then we find another up and comer.