Author Topic: 2020 Football Season  (Read 43821 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Football Season
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2020, 11:19:36 PM »
I am not making any political statement whatsoever, but the ongoing street protests and the upcoming indoor Trump rallies will doom college sports this season.  These events will inevitably lead to a significant spike in the spread of this virus, and conferences will cancel the fall schedules sometime in August.  This will actually be a relief to individual school administrations who will be liberated from making controversial decisions.  I hope that I am wrong, but I don't expect to see YSU sports until the fall of 2021.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2020, 09:06:49 AM »
I think it's a pretty long stretch to say a rally in Tulsa for a couple hours is going to significantly impact the college football season, and while the protests have been pretty intense in a few cities, they have been predominately inner-city blacks and no matter how we may feel and no matter our rhetoric, as a society we don't seem to care much about them either.  Seems to me a few leftists may get the flu and a few rightists may get the flu, it balances out and by the end of June all is forgotten.  Then you have all of July to forget about SARS-2 and by fall, we'll be good to go.  I saw 22 people wearing masks yesterday and I didn't see ONE being worn correctly.  If this virus affects the neck or chin, then these people are going to be in GREAT shape.  If you strap on a mask and pull it down around your neck, ala Nancy Pelosi, then just leave it in your pocket!  How dumb.
The actual truth about the virus and football is this: IF we have a credible treatment, and maybe steroids are the answer, but if we have a treatment, and IF we are well on the way to a credible vaccine but the start of football, they we will have football.  If we have neither, then no matter the facts, football seems unlikely
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
I am not making any political statement whatsoever, but the ongoing street protests and the upcoming indoor Trump rallies will doom college sports this season.  These events will inevitably lead to a significant spike in the spread of this virus, and conferences will cancel the fall schedules sometime in August.  This will actually be a relief to individual school administrations who will be liberated from making controversial decisions.  I hope that I am wrong, but I don't expect to see YSU sports until the fall of 2021.

I hope that you are wrong also, would say that chances are 50/50 that there will be football this fall. really wonder how "ready" players and teams could be. Would only take a couple of schools anywhere to cancel and there would be a domino effect country wide.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2020, 12:50:32 PM »
I agree Guinpen, but it only takes one conference (like the big-12, which has already done so) to say that games will go on as scheduled and we will have games. There is no way that an OSU, or an Alabama sits at home while some team from the Big-12 declares themselves the national champions. Well this is why we have an NCAA.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
I agree Guinpen, but it only takes one conference (like the big-12, which has already done so) to say that games will go on as scheduled

Ah yes, the sound of money!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »
I am not going to wear a mask at the tailgate, unless maybe I am mingling in a large crowd. No hand-shaking I guess.  I pretty much stay within my group. However, I have no issue with wearing a mask for a couple of hours during the game. Heck late season I will enjoy the warmth.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »
I agree Guinpen, but it only takes one conference (like the big-12, which has already done so) to say that games will go on as scheduled

Ah yes, the sound of money!
In the immortal words of the greatest philosopher of the 21 century, Cuba Gooding Jr. "show me the money"  (A line frequently credited to Tom Cruise, but said to him, not by him)  Money aside, football as usual requires at LEAST an effective and readily available treatment and most likely a credible vaccine at least near widespread distribution.  Only a few schools benefit from TV.  Most, like YSU's only football revenue stream is ticket sales.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
According to WFMJ, half of the new turf has just been rolled back up.  Apparently, the light green color was not what we ordered.  The turf with the correct color should arrive in a few days.  This is no big deal since the turf was not yet properly anchored.  Chief, fill us in if you find out any more details.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
Good, it looked terrible to me

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
It was the wrong shade but it will still be 2 different shades of green for each 10 yards for anybody who does not like that kind of thing.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
It was the wrong shade but it will still be 2 different shades of green for each 10 yards for anybody who does not like that kind of thing.

Hope that the new color will look better, just not a big fan of that. Not that I will lose sleep over it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »
Ty Eddington, a 6-3, 330 pound DT is grad transferring in from Eastern Michigan.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »

Hope that the new color will look better, just not a big fan of that. Not that I will lose sleep over it.
I personally do like Pete, and don't like the stripes, but just don't do something stupid like a red field etc.
Block well, tackle well and we'll forget the turf!