Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 99677 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
I have a name to throw out there, How about Andrew Sowder O.C. Kent St.? Left San Jose St only to take a pay cut and Join HC Sean Lewis who he coached with earlier at B.G..Guessing Sowder's salary to be in the neighborhood of 170,000, However he is setting himself up nicely to become a head coach in the MAC or follow Lewis when he gets a big coaching job elsewhere

Nice one Fever. Perhaps a bit lite on experience though.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
I think that Happy and Chief have legitimate concerns with coach Shane. I would think it was staff-related, but Strollo needs to be assured that it will not happen again. Shane understands the administrative component well, the university had all-confidence in him. I think that if he is not hog-tied into staff, he will do exceptionally well. If he is (which is what I think happened at Miami) then we can still have success; but how long will it take and at what cost we do not know. It should also be noted that JMU has much more cash than YSU and they are probably quite happy with coach Montgomery. I also think that YSU is higher in the I-AA/FCS "pecking order" than Miami is in the IA/FBS pecking order. It will be a bit easier to recruit staff and players here. Also, with these two knew QB's, Shane is quite the QB's coach.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:33:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
Why don't we focus on coaches that can win and are not tied to the university like we always do. Shane and Carl would not be good decisions we will be mediocre at best as we are now. Glad Pelini is gone don't let the door hit you in the butt. LSU will have a terrible defense now . they apparently didn't look at his defense during his tenure here. Let's get a good coach with winning experience. I would go after the North Dakota State or South Dakota State assistants they know how to win. Enough with dwelling on Shane and Carl. Makes me want to puke

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 06:27:56 PM »
Marrow was recently named assistant HC at Kentucky with a salary of $650k. Is a head coaching job at a lower level worth that kind of a pay cut?
Seems to me you are serious or your're not serious.  We pay him 500K minimum if we feel we want to compete, otherwise we look at what we can afford. IE. Carl.

I hope we don’t pay someone 500k to coach here, apparently we just had a head coach worth 2 million a year and that got us a lot of mediocrity

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
Marrow was recently named assistant HC at Kentucky with a salary of $650k. Is a head coaching job at a lower level worth that kind of a pay cut?
Seems to me you are serious or your're not serious.  We pay him 500K minimum if we feel we want to compete, otherwise we look at what we can afford. IE. Carl.

I hope we don’t pay someone 500k to coach here, apparently we just had a head coach worth 2 million a year and that got us a lot of mediocrity
We won't pay anywhere near 500k for any coach--possible Marrow would take it although I don't believe any coach in the US making in the neighborhood of 625k would take such a drastic pay cut to coach here.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
I think we may have issues finding a coach that will want to come here for what we will pay that is a good fit and meets the qualifications we on this board are looking for.

We either will go browns route and take someone that is young and up and coming with no head coaching experience, or we are gonna get someone with a shaky track record who does have head coaching experience. It's really late to be looking for a coach this year. This is my prediction.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
YSU in talks with Vince Marrow. Looking like a deal will get done but not yet.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
Looks like he is a excellent recruiter.  Is he an ex mooney alumni and we better surround him with some experienced coordinators. Looks like another wolf  type hire
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »
Chief,

You are the best source of information on this site, and I believe you.  But I'm having a hard time digesting why a top SEC assistant would take a 400K pay reduction to become a head coach at a FCS school.  Also, given the dire situation of our football program, can we really gamble on anybody that lacks head coaching experience on the collegiate level?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:36:52 AM by Wick250 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2020, 12:13:53 PM »
YSU in talks with Vince Marrow. Looking like a deal will get done but not yet.
I am sorry, I just have a very hard time believing this. FootballScoop agrees:

"Vince is extremely well compensated at Kentucky. I know all the ties, etc... but would be stunning to see him leave UK for Youngstown.

@MichaelWBratton

Kentucky's ace recruiter Vince Marrow is "in talks with Youngstown State" regarding the head coaching position at the school following Bo Pelini's departure according to @KySportsRadio. Jones notes that no decision by Marrow has been made at this time."

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1222902402887507971

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »
It is hard to believe that he would like take such a large pay cut to come here.
IMO, this could only happen is if he looks at this as an investment for him to get the necessary HC experiences setting himself up for a future HC position at FBS level with multi-million $ payday.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:20:31 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »
 Chief I respect you, but this is bad info.  Marrow has yet to meet with Tressel and Strollo.  Marrow is meeting with two trustees tomorrow.  Interviews are ongoing.

I am hearing that Marrow is not at the top of either Strollo or Tressel's list.  Highly unlikely he is under consideration.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:36:20 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
1990, I interpret this in a different way.  If Marrow is going to meet with two trustees, this is deadly serious. And you could be sure that Tressel arranged that meeting.  And I hope you are right about Mallory.  He would be my first choice.