Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 100923 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
Hannon brought up a few names.  Montgomery is interested. Michael Zordich. The coach from Indiana St.  Vince Marrow, Michael Stoops.  I will throw out a name is Michael Mangino too old to be a serious candidate.  Somehow I feel it will be none of those.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 06:38:28 AM »
I would hope that we don't place too much emphasis on "northeastern Ohio" ties.  Tressel grew up in Berea, Heacock in Beloit, Wolford in Brookfield, Pelini in Boardman.  Obviously, only Tressel worked out. 

This is still a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious, talented young coach.  The Watts, a big time weight room (not my opinion...ask the 49er's,) excellent (and compliant) media coverage, enough regional talent (not like the old days but still sufficient.)  And the precedent to go directly to OSU from here.  Great place for a rising coach to give us 3-4 years of winning and reach the big time.

I think we also need a coach with a little bit of an ego. If I was looking at a coaching job that was could be leveraged into a multimillion dollar payout, YSU would not be at the tip of my list.  Most coaches get one chance as a HC before they are branded as a perpetual assistant. The reasons why I would not take the job have to do with 2-things:

1.  We dont pay well enough to hire a competent staff that has elite recruiting and are great D1 coaches.
2.  We play in the MVFC and the elephant in the room is that you need to recruit 85 elite D1 athletes with 63 scholarships. The reason is that is the only way to make it through the conference with enough healthy players to make the playoffs and then make a run. NDSU is doing this and they are winning for a reason.

Finally, we are in the most competitive conference at any level of football in the country.  The conference loaded with great coaching.  If you piece all of that together, it tells me that we need a person that is a great coach that can build and execute a strategy with less, and has the ego to believe he can win under those constraints.  Lift one of the constraints and the pool widens.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 07:35:51 AM »
     I would consider recruiting the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator at North Dakota State.  NDSU has had perpetual, uninterrupted success by promoting internally.  The result would be a coach with significant winning experience who would bring the NDSU culture to Youngstown. 

Did not STROLLO utilize this approach when he recruited Coach BARNES from Green Bay?   

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
Tressel needs to have a say this time.  Curt Mallory at Indiana State should be on the list.
He makes 200,000 at ISU so we certainly could afford him.  But, as critical as this fan base seems to be, he is coming off a losing record.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 08:50:09 AM »
You guys do realize that assistant coaches at P5 schools make 2x or even 3x the salary that we can pay our head coach.  It is a different world from the days when we hired Tressel.  Lower your expectations. 

This is exactly why some of us have been harping about the bloated number of athletic administrators and the poor pay for our coaches.  I'm afraid you are about to see the concrete ramifications of this misguided policy.
Hey guys wanting FBS assistants.  I hear the LSU DC was getting 2,500,000 and the new guy is getting more.  We are completely out of the game. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »
Since Mallory falls into our price range, he certainly is interesting.  He has very little to work with at Indiana State.  Poor stadium, no indoor training facility, no media interest, no regional recruiting base compared to YSU, no fan support at a basketball school.  Yet he has certainly overachieved there.  Winning record in 2018 but doomed last fall when he lost his quarterback early in the season.  That did not stop him from embarrassing Pelini both years.  I wonder if he would be interested.  Everything his program lacks in Indiana he would have here.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
We should interview Vince Kehres from Mount Union. He was just hired as Toledo’s DC

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
We need someone who's proven they can be a HC. I don't care about what level, but I'm tired of hiring coordinators and finding out they are awesome coordinators but suck as head coaches.

That's a losing strategy.

Coach Shane was a disaster as a HC. No thanks.

Not sold on Carl either. Nothing there fills me with confidence from his last HC gig  :-X

If its those 2 clowns versus a D2 HC, give me the D2 guy. Especially if he's young.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 02:32:56 PM »
in other words do not follow the Cleveland Browns strategy

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
in other words do not follow the Cleveland Browns strategy
Yes, if anyone needed any reminders, do not emulate the Browns

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
I have a name to throw out there, How about Andrew Sowder O.C. Kent St.? Left San Jose St only to take a pay cut and Join HC Sean Lewis who he coached with earlier at B.G..Guessing Sowder's salary to be in the neighborhood of 170,000, However he is setting himself up nicely to become a head coach in the MAC or follow Lewis when he gets a big coaching job elsewhere
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:13:07 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
We need someone who's proven they can be a HC. I don't care about what level, but I'm tired of hiring coordinators and finding out they are awesome coordinators but suck as head coaches.

That's a losing strategy.

Coach Shane was a disaster as a HC. No thanks.

Not sold on Carl either. Nothing there fills me with confidence from his last HC gig  :-X

If its those 2 clowns versus a D2 HC, give me the D2 guy. Especially if he's young.
A lot of water under the dam since '08 don't you think?  Coach Monty shouldn't be eliminated because of a Miami record from over a decade ago.
I thought Carl did a pretty good job at BGSU under some trying circumstances. 
Sorry, but name calling of coaches Montgomery and Pelini may impress some, but I think it shows immaturity
That being said, my money is on Marrow! 

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
Marrow was recently named assistant HC at Kentucky with a salary of $650k. Is a head coaching job at a lower level worth that kind of a pay cut?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »
Marrow was recently named assistant HC at Kentucky with a salary of $650k. Is a head coaching job at a lower level worth that kind of a pay cut?
Seems to me you are serious or your're not serious.  We pay him 500K minimum if we feel we want to compete, otherwise we look at what we can afford. IE. Carl.