Author Topic: YSU vs. North Dakota State  (Read 59145 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs. North Dakota State
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 07:28:41 AM »
I don't see us making the playoffs. Sucks having the bye week so early because we are beat the hell up right now.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
While it sucks we lost, that was certainly entertaining.  I like our chances in a rematch, especially if we had Reed back.  What a game.  The missed FG was the difference maker and had we not iced the kicker it would have gone to 2 Overtimes.  unbelievable

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
I don't see us making the playoffs. Sucks having the bye week so early because we are beat the hell up right now.

We can make it.  YSU is a good football team.  We just need to win the ones we are supposed to win going forward.  We have all of the ingredients for a deep playoff run, especially if we get some people back from injuries
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:58:23 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
Kennedy's FG percentage has to be below 40%. Just terrible. Gave the game away. Mays is what he is. A backup QB. Can't read defenses or throw the ball downfield. Was scared all night. Used his legs well but that's about all he's got. We really missed Reed out there.

I disagree.  Mays came a long way tonight.  I thought some of his throws were fantastic, especially the fade for a TD.  This is the first time I felt Mays was adequate.  The play calling was suspect at times.  We lost this game because of the missed FG.  Otherwise it goes to 2OT
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:57:29 AM by penguinpower »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »

With all the recent controversy about disrespecting the flag and national anthem, I will be curious to see if our bison friends have cleaned up their act.

Seriously, after the sh** going on at YSU, you throw this idiotic comment out there?
#braindead

Wow that was easy, only 27 minutes to prove they ( well at least one fan ) have not. Too bad.

Hey I call it the way I see it, I was impressed, had a lot of bison fans sitting around me and NONE of them were disrespectful during the anthem. Good to see.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »
Hey their kicker missed but we called a time out.  He got to kick again and made it.  It seemed in overtime we were playing for the FG.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:07 AM »
Good game, team loss. For the second week the opposing qb just killed us. Three close losses, 2 in ot, but a loss is a loss. We are a good team just need to take one game at a time. 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I'd say that was the biggest and best crowd in many many years. Shame the result we got...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
On that 3rd drive by the Bison just, they just took it to us. They rammed that ball right down our throats, that is where we lost the game. Capped off by Carl bringing in the safety and a Stick TD toss right over the middle to wide-open TE. Same Stick as usual. Not the fasted guy in the world, but he runs great angles and vision. Again misplaced coverage gave Stick a 90-yard rushing TD ...absolutely no excuse there. Also, we left 10-points on the field. Mays was very good today, despite mistakes. Montgomery stretched the offense to Mays ability very well & they were still efficient (24-points on 338 yards). I still think that Mays can earn the starting job with enough experience and he is showing it. That 3rd & 15 toss for Patterson took ice water. The 20+ yard TD throws to Rader and Powell were also quite good. Not enough #20 in the backfield either. I would love to see a comparison on rushing first-down yardage ...the NDSU defense really seemed to have kept us in second and long. Worst officiating yet and awesome Castle-crowd pointing it out.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
Agonizing loss.  At times like this, Wolford's teams quit.  Let's hope that Bo has really changed the culture and that the players will understand that their goals are still very much within their grasp.

As we discussed last week, the top tier of FCS this season consists of MVFC teams plus James Madison.  Who are the real top five now, regardless of what any national polls state?  How about:

1. NDSDU
2. South Dakota
3 James Madison
4. YSU
5. Wofford?, Jacksonville State?, Eastern Washington?  Fill in the blank.  None of them could beat the top four.

As Power suggested, a long playoff run is still quite attainable.  Find a way to win next week and then dispatch the four weakest teams in the conference.  We still should finish 8-3, 6-2.  7-4, 5-3 will be good enough. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
Sorry power will disagree with you on our chances on a rematch if that happens it's on the road probably their place.  It was a good game but I was truly disappointed how we gave up that drive Right before the second half where they only had a couple of minutes.  That sh** costs you and it did. Again they have the better lines and qb.  And specials teams is one third of the game and they won that as well.  I see playoffs if we get in and if the committee was smart they would put us on opposite sides of the bracket and I could see us meeting in frisco.  But if we did that will not be a neutral site as the Bison will have a huge crowd vs our 4K that might show up.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that it seems like we never run the ball to the left side? I’m surprised they when our run game stalled out in the second half that Montgomery didn’t at least try to run to the left.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that it seems like we never run the ball to the left side? I’m surprised they when our run game stalled out in the second half that Montgomery didn’t at least try to run to the left.

That's too much for Montgomery to handle. He only does things the other team will know are coming.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
NCS had a better O Line and D Line and QB.  But we still could have won because you win with a team.  The last 2 weeks in the final series with the game tied, they stack the line and we run the ball into that.  Either we have no faith in our QB to throw against a run defense or our play calling is suspect. In our final drive for a td, when we threw into their single coverage, it worked. Yes the db was close, but it worked.  At this level the offensive receiver has the advantage over the db, and we are reluctant to throw unless the receiver is very open which doesn't happen with the pass rush we face against good teams. We need quick throws to beat the blitzing that we face. Trying to drop back and view the field hoping for a wide open receiver is not possible with the pressure. Thus we get sacked and are up against it for that series.  I feel we play right into the opponents hand doing what we do.  And the QB must get rid of the ball quickly which rarely  happens.  Remember the Pitt game. They are as good as the teams we lost to the last 2 weeks.  We threw against them. Yes a different QB, but different play calling too.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »

That's too much for Montgomery to handle. He only does things the other team will know are coming.

The Chief don't like Monty.
Joe Cool