Author Topic: YSU vs. North Dakota State  (Read 58275 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs. North Dakota State
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
Pitt and NDSU  are better than any team in FCS and we lost to both by 3 points in overtime--we are capable of beating any team in FCS imho.

Agree 100% if we can just stay focused and win out there is no reason we can’t be a national championship team this year. We are a better team than last year, just had a few tough breaks so far.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
Pitt and NDSU  are better than any team in FCS and we lost to both by 3 points in overtime--we are capable of beating any team in FCS imho.

Agree 100% if we can just stay focused and win out there is no reason we can’t be a national championship team this year. We are a better team than last year, just had a few tough breaks so far.

I disagree we are a better team than last year. Good team, yes. But we are a notch below what we were last year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:18 AM »

I disagree we are a better team than last year. Good team, yes. But we are a notch below what we were last year.

Feels like we are missing a game breaker.  I think that Reed is a difference maker on defense and we missed him.  However, if we play at a high level there aren't many teams that can beat us and of we continue to improve we are in the mix.  I felt like Mays took a step forward last week, but he still has a way to go.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:21:24 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »

I dunno, I think we’re playing just as well as we did in the playoffs last year. If a couple plays go differently we’re undefeated with a win over NDSU and an FCS team.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »

I dunno, I think we’re playing just as well as we did in the playoffs last year. If a couple plays go differently we’re undefeated with a win over NDSU and an FCS team.
Hate to pick, but we lost to Pitt by 7 not 3 and the best team in FCS is clearly JMU.  I think we can get better.  I think we are good enough to make the playoffs and I think if you get healthy and get on a run, we could do damage in the playoffs.  Right now we are a bit better than we were this time last year, but not better than we were during our playoff run.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »

Hate to pick, but we lost to Pitt by 7 not 3 and the best team in FCS is clearly JMU.  I think we can get better.  I think we are good enough to make the playoffs and I think if you get healthy and get on a run, we could do damage in the playoffs.  Right now we are a bit better than we were this time last year, but not better than we were during our playoff run.
If we can find a way to stretch the field and make teams respect our passing game. Then yes we can go far into the playoffs

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »

You're right I did type that too quick, I know we lost by 7 to PITT, my bad.

I don't necessarily think JMU is clearly the best in FCS, at best I'd say they are arguably #1 both NDSU and USD have the same record as them and play a tougher SOS.

I guess we'll see how we play this week, I could be eating my words if we drop our 3rd game in a row this week.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
We have lost all the close games I think this year. Last year we won them.  We still haven’t played all 4 quarters of a game well.  Penguin power is correct we lack the big play ability on both sides of the ball.  I really think we miss Webb on offense.  The new kid is good but he is still Green and lacks the take it to the house like Webb did.?  Our D needs to create more turnovers and our kicking game needs to improve. We should make the playoffs and if Wells come back that could be the keys to get to Frisco.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
JMU is definitely one of the top teams in FCS but I wouldnt go as far as saying they are clearly the best--they might be though.Sagarin ranks NDSU  as #43 and JMU as #66 which doesnt necessarily mean they are better---time will tell.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »
I would only note the following: As several postes on this thread have pointed out, YSU is not better than last year's team, and NDSU and USD are also not clearly better than YSU.  We could/should have one both those games.  7 games ago we faced JMU and they were CLEARLY the superior team.  Until somebody proves different, JMU is the best team in FCS football.  Regarding schedules, JMU has 4 ranked teams on theirs and I beleive Delaware was ranked when they played them.  Certainly the MVFC is the best, but JMU isn't playing all Slippery Rocks either.  I want to block out the championship game too, but if we look back, I recall that team was well coached, very well balanced, with talent all over the field.  Beat them and you are the new #1, but 'ya gotta do it on the field.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
I don't think JMU is the best team.  There is clearly no best team this year, it depends in the weekend and who can improve from week to week. That includes developing depth at all positions and the success of that development.  We will see.  It is a long way away.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »
We have lost all the close games I think this year. Last year we won them.  We still haven’t played all 4 quarters of a game well.  Penguin power is correct we lack the big play ability on both sides of the ball.  I really think we miss Webb on offense.  The new kid is good but he is still Green and lacks the take it to the house like Webb did.?  Our D needs to create more turnovers and our kicking game needs to improve. We should make the playoffs and if Wells come back that could be the keys to get to Frisco.

I think we miss Ruiz more than Webb, but that is so hard to say. Ruiz was much harder to bring down then #37. Ruiz had speed, moves and such power. Look how many times he outran the line for more yardage, he could find a seam or make a hole ...so defenses could not fill a gap in the lane and stop him, they had to bring him down. That is what we are missing. However, Webb was also able to get that extra step to make it outside & could catch, which we also do not have. We are close to replacing Webb with a frosh (#25) who has good hands and is clearly getting better every week, but nothing even close to Ruiz that I have seen on the field. I hve to admit those spin moves by #37 were nice last week.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »

I think we miss Ruiz more than Webb, but that is so hard to say. Ruiz was much harder to bring down then #37. Ruiz had speed, moves and such power. Look how many times he outran the line for more yardage, he could find a seam or make a hole ...so defenses could not fill a gap in the lane and stop him, they had to bring him down. That is what we are missing. However, Webb was also able to get that extra step to make it outside & could catch, which we also do not have. We are close to replacing Webb with a frosh (#25) who has good hands and is clearly getting better every week, but nothing even close to Ruiz that I have seen on the field. I hve to admit those spin moves by #37 were nice last week.
We definitely lack a power back, that's for sure.  I don't think we throw to Turner enough either.