Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 124535 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
So, from previous years it was suggested that the countdown not start until 50 days out to the season... so here it is! Gameday (September 2nd at Pitt) is 50 days out!  fb

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
Love it. Yes we lost some talent and experience but still have plenty coming back. No reason to think playoffs are out of the reach for this team.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
I agree Chief. The biggest fear that I had, once we made it back to the play-off, was being able to develop the post-season mentality. I was truly shocked at how the team came together last year. Now we will not be surprising anyone next year, the 3 QB season. I am really expecting coach Carl and Shane to do some work early, then put it in their back pockets ....especially on O ...for late/post season. That was a gift that previous YSU coaches had, especially coach T, who passed in on to coach H.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
The third year is the time when a new coach really "owns" a program.  He has selected many of the players and, logically, has chosen people that fit his system.  Mostly gone are Wolford's "athletes," most of whom had impressive physical credentials but just did not play football very well (with the notable exception of Rivers!) and had work ethics that were often lacking.  In their place are Pelini's "football players" who might lack the measurable physical traits but will play the game ferociously.  I'll take my chances with Bo.

After spring practice, Bo suggested that our defense would be faster than last season and have more depth. Obviously, losing the best PAIR of defensive ends in FCS history hurts, but good programs always replace quality.

If we are looking for an impact freshman, my candidate is Coates from JFK (assuming he has recovered completely from injuries that dogged him in his senior high school season.)  Kid has great bloodlines as his father played at Penn State, and he has speed comparable to the Zallow brothers.  Unlike the Zallows, he is a football player first.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Well let's see, we return Savon Smith and Cody Squiric at DT along with Donald Mesier who backed them up very well last year. Dellovade and Lee Wright at LB along with Malachi Newell who played well last year as a true freshman returning. DB will be interesting to see who starts there. I'm guessing a combination of Powell, Hegedus (If he's fully recovered from his knee injury) Nico-Hurst and Warfield will start at safety. Corner, it could be anyone. Or possibly one of the JUCO kids. Chapman, Louigene and the Florida transfer will battle it out for the DE spot.

Offensively, obviously Hunter at QB. Probably see Mays and or Davis/Hosick at some point as well. O-Line we return Spencer, Wiggins and Hrynkiewicz. I'm guessing Cam Fraser starts at LG and LT will be up for grabs unless they move Spencer out there. Maybe we see an FBS transfer come in. Heard some rumors. RB will be McCaster and Alessi. Watch out for Christian Turner and Braxton Chapman as true freshman maybe seeing time. TE will be Rader and Durkin with Kuhn filling in as FB I'm guessing. WR's are all back except for Townsend who transferred. Bailey, Patterson, Scott, Derrick and Harvin (Who redshirted last year).

I'm excited and expecting playoffs again this year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »

If we are looking for an impact freshman, my candidate is Coates from JFK (assuming he has recovered completely from injuries that dogged him in his senior high school season.)  Kid has great bloodlines as his father played at Penn State, and he has speed comparable to the Zallow brothers.  Unlike the Zallows, he is a football player first.

Any relation to Bobby? Bobby was class of 2005 or 06 out of JFK I think Came in under-everything and was a real quality player by the time he left YSU
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:30:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »
This is really late, but 49 lol.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
article on YSU football
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »
From today's Warren Tribune by Joe Simon

YOUNGSTOWN — There wasn’t much of a break for Youngstown State University football coach Bo Pelini, but that’s the way he prefers it.

The Penguins’ long playoff run ended in mid-January (with an ugly loss in the FCS Championship), and YSU started things back up quickly thereafter, with spring practices beginning in late February and going until April. Three months later, the Penguins are about to kick things off again.

Now, Pelini isn’t exactly clamoring for his mini vacation to end, but he knows the time has come.

“I try to block it out of my head,” joked Pelini at a recent football camp when asked how long it is until training camp begins. “Nah, we’ll be ready.

“It’s that time of year.”

It is, indeed.

Pelini’s Penguins could look quite different when camp breaks Aug. 3, with most of the offense returning and several key defensive players gone, but that doesn’t change much for Pelini, now in his third year leading YSU.

His system won’t change. His philosophies won’t change. His beliefs in how to win will not change. And while he’s not ready to predict another championship run, he likes the team that’s returning.

“It’s hard to tell,” said Pelini of whether the Penguins have a similar make-up as last year. “It (depends) how everything comes together. I think we have potential. Some kids have to step in at some spots. We have kids returning offensively, so I think we’ll be in pretty good shape there. In key areas, we need a couple of guys to step up. That’s just part of the deal. You lose kids here and there.

“I always believe it’s how does the make-up of the team comes together. Does the leadership take over? We have some good leaders we have to replace, but we have the potential in that area. It’s going to be, ‘Are we able to mix and match and kind of find our stride the right way?’ We have a chance.”

While offense seems to be the strength, Pelini said YSU’s chances could depend on a defense that must fill numerous holes, including the losses of NFL Draft picks Derek Rivers and Avery Moss. The pair of defensive ends wreaked havoc on opposing offenses all season, spearheading a defense that led the FCS in sacks.

Their back-ups, Fazson Chapman and Johnson Louigene, played sparingly last year, and while Pelini spoke highly about them, he didn’t take any chances. YSU brought in Florid Gator transfer Justus Reed, who has similar measurables to Moss at 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds. The junior played in nine games as a freshman at Florida and could have an immediate impact for the Penguins.

“He’s a nice-sized guy. He’s talented. He’s a hard worker,” Pelini said. “I think he’s a good addition to the team. I hope he comes in and not only wants to be part of the team, but I hope he wants to be a leader, too.”

Pelini faces an equally tough task in the secondary. YSU lost three senior corners — all of whom started at times — and two starting safeties, but Pelini isn’t overly concerned. A defensive guru, Pelini came into his position after several dismal defensive seasons. He quickly turned the ‘D’ into one of the better units in the nation, and he doesn’t expect that to change this year.

“We kind of do what we do,” he said of the defensive scheme. “When I came in, I think they were like 100th and something in pass defense. What’d we go to (in 2015), like fifth? And it was the same guys. The system helps. The way we coach it works. We’re going to need a couple corners to step up. I feel good at the safety position, and you’ve got to play well around those guys.

“It’s just a matter of working hard and staying with the process, and I think we’ll be fine. I like the potential of this team.”

Part of his confidence stems from a loaded group of linebackers. While it’s led by junior all-conference selection Armand Dellovade and senior Lee Wright, who led YSU in tackles in 2015, there are a number of other players who could contribute. Up-and-coming sophomore Malachi Newell, another linebacker, said the Penguins understand what it takes to return to the FCS Championship, and the LBs are a big part of the plan.

“I think they’ll expect us to lead the defense because, as a position group, we have the most coming back,” Newell said. “Coach expects us to lead the defense and make big plays — be leaders.

“We want to keep that winning program and tradition going. In order to do that, we have to work harder than they did (last year).”

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
48. Man I am so excited for the season now!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »
IAA Fan,

No relation.  Bobby Coates was a lineman from the Canton area.  This Coates is a WR/DB/return man type from Warren Kennedy.

Three articles about YSU sports in the online version of the Warren paper today.  Thanks guys and keep them coming.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
Trib is doing a nice job, agreed. Saw Grove from the Vindy left so right now, nobody is covering YSU.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
He was at the Vindy for what a year? I didn't realize he left already.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
IAA Fan,

No relation.  Bobby Coates was a lineman from the Canton area.  This Coates is a WR/DB/return man type from Warren Kennedy.

Three articles about YSU sports in the online version of the Warren paper today.  Thanks guys and keep them coming.

I subscribe to both Tribune and Vindicator. IMO, the Tribune does a better job in their analysis of YSU sports (Joe Simon on Football & John Vargo on Basketball) than Vindy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
IAA Fan,

I subscribe to both Tribune and Vindicator. IMO, the Tribune does a better job in their analysis of YSU sports (Joe Simon on Football & John Vargo on Basketball) than Vindy.
Looks like we have a rich guy on the blog.  Can afford to waste money on both Trib and Vindy!  Only thing I know for sure ET is you are too old to be a millennial, huh ET?  (speaking from the prospective of a senior citizen that still subscribes to the Trib.)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
IAA Fan,

Looks like we have a rich guy on the blog.  Can afford to waste money on both Trib and Vindy!  Only thing I know for sure ET is you are too old to be a millennial, huh ET?  (speaking from the prospective of a senior citizen that still subscribes to the Trib.)

Rich? On YSU Faculty salary?
I subscribe to both papers for Sunday for the discount coupons to save $$ so I can afford the season tickets.
I drive a Chevy....does that sound rich to you? Millennial? I am at the front end of the baby boomer.... Lol

Seriously, I am looking forward to both the YSU football & football season.