Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 125943 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Good points go and this could just be my paranoia getting the better of me, but this is not the NFL. By late last year, teams figured out what to do with our DE's. In fact, WVA had in figured out from the start. You either run a 2 TE set and/or you run the play at the DE. Then his job quickly changes from QB presser to pass-blocker or run-stopper. That is when Carl was pulling in his secondary (safeties in particular) and we were getting burnt deep. If our secondary, can shift more laterally, then the QB has to move and wait. At this point, any solid DE can finish the job. I am not saying that our 2016 tandem were not above awesome, just that I would like to see a little less reliance on pressure from the ends, and more balance.

You saw what we were w/o Ruiz against JMU. With Ruiz in that game, JMU is tired earlier than the last quarter) and it is a completely different game. At TB, the drop from Ruiz/Webb to McCaster/Alessi is at least one season. Then again coach M probably knows something we don't with the new guys. He better ... we are a TB, drop-back passing offense.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
1AA, I didn't see anybody with a "plan" to stop both Rivers and Moss.  WVU had better players those other teams and that always helps.  JMU had the second best players of the teams we played, that helped them too.  Both offensively against the rush, as well as defensively against the RBs.  Late in the season Moss’s ankle injury really slowed him and made our pressure much less effective.  That’s what worries me with the returners.  Nobody stepped up.  Even the replacement safeties made a couple plays against EWU, but not at DE.
Ruiz was always twice the runner Webb was.  “Experts” always listed Webb as the key guy, but that was never true.  I do expect McCaster to continue to improve and we have a real speed guy in Coates to replace Webb.  Biggest need, and it isn’t even close, is DE’s. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »
Good points go and this could just be my paranoia getting the better of me, but this is not the NFL. By late last year, teams figured out what to do with our DE's. In fact, WVA had in figured out from the start. You either run a 2 TE set and/or you run the play at the DE. Then his job quickly changes from QB presser to pass-blocker or run-stopper. That is when Carl was pulling in his secondary (safeties in particular) and we were getting burnt deep. If our secondary, can shift more laterally, then the QB has to move and wait. At this point, any solid DE can finish the job. I am not saying that our 2016 tandem were not above awesome, just that I would like to see a little less reliance on pressure from the ends, and more balance.

You saw what we were w/o Ruiz against JMU. With Ruiz in that game, JMU is tired earlier than the last quarter) and it is a completely different game. At TB, the drop from Ruiz/Webb to McCaster/Alessi is at least one season. Then again coach M probably knows something we don't with the new guys. He better ... we are a TB, drop-back passing offense.

You are delusional. They were showing clips of the WVU game for the NFL draft and NFL scouts where Rivers and Moss were dominating their tackles during the game. Nobody ever had a stop for either of them all year long. The greatest and most dominant DE in YSU history. The most dominant DE duo in YSU history. As for RB's. There probably will be a drop off, especially with Jody's catch and run and pull away speed. Lord help us if we are relying on Montgomery to save the day.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Absolutely nothing in your post makes any sense. Of course they were showing clips of the WVU game. Not because of how well they played, but because of the logo on the oppsing helmets. WVU is recognized. No one ever heard of NDSU or YSU no matter how many titles they have won. The guys simply (and smartly)  wanted the scouts to know they could play with the big boys.

Your comment on coach M makes no sense either. How many times did he save our butts from pathetic DC's? The answer is just about every year but 3. If any coach is "saving the day" we are in trouble. Just like last year.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 03:56:25 AM »
44 days

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »
Absolutely nothing in your post makes any sense. Of course they were showing clips of the WVU game. Not because of how well they played, but because of the logo on the oppsing helmets. WVU is recognized. No one ever heard of NDSU or YSU no matter how many titles they have won. The guys simply (and smartly)  wanted the scouts to know they could play with the big boys.

Your comment on coach M makes no sense either. How many times did he save our butts from pathetic DC's? The answer is just about every year but 3. If any coach is "saving the day" we are in trouble. Just like last year.
1AA, correct me if I've read your post incorrectly, but it seems to me that after you say Chief "doesn't make any sense", you then set about making the case FOR him, not against?  And your argument that NFL scouts never heard of NDSU or YSU is absurd.  I think Carson Wentz #2 overall and Derek Rivers being the 1st pick of the Super Bowl champ. Patriots says pretty clearly "they've heard of us!" 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »

Wow ummm wrong, just absolutely wrong lol.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »

Yawn!! And JMU sure figured out how to handle Monty's anemic pitiful offense right?! Geeesh!

Back on point. Did anybody take into account for the transfer from Austin Peay Steven Pappadakes Good size kid who sat out last year due to transfer as a DE?  Also Shereif Bynum another DE that looks promising. I think DE will be ok next year I'm still concerned with the offense since we still have the same "O" coordinator  :-\
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:38:13 PM by ysubigred »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »

Yawn!! And JMU sure figured out how to handle Monty's anemic pitiful offense right?! Geeesh!

Back on point. Did anybody take into account for the transfer from Austin Peay Steven Pappadakes Good size kid who sat out last year due to transfer as a DE?  Also Shereif Bynum another DE that looks promising. I think DE will be ok next year I'm still concerned with the offense since we still have the same "O" coordinator  :-\
Pappy has good size, that much is true, but he red shirted at Austin Peay in '15 which means they didn't think he was good enough to play for them as a freshman.  Sat out last year as a transfer so hasn't played a down in 2 years.  I wouldn't be counting on too much there.
I still think DE is a HUGE area of concern.  Rivers and Moss also keep guys off Armand and and Wright.  Single blocking on DE's leaves RB's to get on LB's putting added pressure on them too.  Simply boggles my mind that we loose 2 DE's, on as the first pick of the Super Bowl Champs and the other to the New York Giants and we seem to think some guy that couldn't get on the field for Austin Peay and Bynum who saw the field in what 1 game in 2 YEARS and made, let me count.... NO TACKLES in 2 years at YSU, is the answer??   You guys aren't part of the opoiod problem are you?  Somebody is on something!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »

Pappy has good size, that much is true, but he red shirted at Austin Peay in '15 which means they didn't think he was good enough to play for them as a freshman.  Sat out last year as a transfer so hasn't played a down in 2 years.  I wouldn't be counting on too much there.
I still think DE is a HUGE area of concern.  Rivers and Moss also keep guys off Armand and and Wright.  Single blocking on DE's leaves RB's to get on LB's putting added pressure on them too.  Simply boggles my mind that we loose 2 DE's, on as the first pick of the Super Bowl Champs and the other to the New York Giants and we seem to think some guy that couldn't get on the field for Austin Peay and Bynum who saw the field in what 1 game in 2 YEARS and made, let me count.... NO TACKLES in 2 years at YSU, is the answer??   You guys aren't part of the opoiod problem are you?  Somebody is on something!

OK rocket scientist you seem to know how bad the DE situation is so I'll step back and watch  ;D I never said they were the answer but I don't think DE is as bad as you all think just because YSU had two guys drafted into the NFL Geesh!!! Rivers is a good one but Moss was hurt quite a bit so his loss is 50/50. NDSU has players drafted mostly every year and they don't miss a step.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:00:26 PM by ysubigred »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
One thing we do have going for us at DE and could be the saving grace is that Carl and Bo both do a great job developing defensive talent. So we will see.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »
One thing we do have going for us at DE and could be the saving grace is that Carl and Bo both do a great job developing defensive talent. So we will see.

Amen. I'm more worried about cornerback.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 06:17:21 PM »

Amen. I'm more worried about cornerback.
I agree with you.
As I said in the past, it is hard to expect that we will be replace two NFL caliber DE at our levels (not even at the next level). The question should be whether we have two good DE at our level? Based on some of the the discussions on this blog , we do, although not at the levels of last year. I am ok with that.

My concern is whether we have good enough talents for DB and Safeties to play at our levels. Same goes for the running backs.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Sometime during spring practice, a local reporter asked Pelini the obvious question.  How much will the loss of those two stud ends damage our defense?  After dutifully praising Rivers and Moss, Pelini stated that he did not expect much slippage at all.  He said that we have more depth and he plans to rotate four men at those positions, some better at stopping the run and others proficient at the pass rush.  His lack of concern surprised me, but if he is not overly worried, perhaps we should just trust the guy who has rebuilt this program.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »

[/quote]

OK rocket scientist you seem to know how bad the DE situation is so I'll step back and watch  ;D I never said they were the answer but I don't think DE is as bad as you all think just because YSU had two guys drafted into the NFL Geesh!!! Rivers is a good one but Moss was hurt quite a bit so his loss is 50/50. NDSU has players drafted mostly every year and they don't miss a step.
[/quote]
I don't claim any scientific status, but I can read, and understand a little of what I read, and I read your post touting post 2 guys that have done NOTHING in 2 years each as replacements for the best 2 DE's every to suit up for YSU.  Some guys worry about CB's.  Want to help the CB's?  The answer is DE's!  All I am saying is in this era of spread offenses, if you don't pressure the QB you are going to be torched.  NOBODY can cover WR all day.  If the QB can sit back and survey the field, you are going to get beat and our DE's are highly suspect.  I have expectations for Reed, the kid from FL, but you need a rotation of at least 2 and I see us as 2 short.