Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 125761 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
IAA Fan,

No relation.  Bobby Coates was a lineman from the Canton area.  This Coates is a WR/DB/return man type from Warren Kennedy.

Three articles about YSU sports in the online version of the Warren paper today.  Thanks guys and keep them coming.

I subscribe to both Tribune and Vindicator. IMO, the Tribune does a better job in their analysis of YSU sports (Joe Simon on Football & John Vargo on Basketball) than Vindy.
Looks like we have a rich guy on the blog.  Can afford to waste money on both Trib and Vindy!  Only thing I know for sure ET is you are too old to be a millennial, huh ET?  (speaking from the prospective of a senior citizen that still subscribes to the Trib.)

Rich? On YSU Faculty salary?
I subscribe to both papers for Sunday for the discount coupons to save $$ so I can afford the season tickets.
I drive a Chevy....does that sound rich to you? Millennial? I am at the front end of the baby boomer.... Lol

Seriously, I am looking forward to both the YSU football & football season.
Did you get down for the Art Fair?  Great event for showing off campus and what is good beyond sports at YSU.
You can tell the boomers, we think coupons from the paper.  My kids and grandkids scoff at printed media and show off far better deals and variety from on-line deals! 
Seriously YSU season tickets about the best value in sports out there!  FB season ticket with tailgate pass about equal to 1 browns game and we actually have a chance to win!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
It's a new season "BUT" we will never forget!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
IAA Fan,

No relation.  Bobby Coates was a lineman from the Canton area.  This Coates is a WR/DB/return man type from Warren Kennedy.

Three articles about YSU sports in the online version of the Warren paper today.  Thanks guys and keep them coming.

I subscribe to both Tribune and Vindicator. IMO, the Tribune does a better job in their analysis of YSU sports (Joe Simon on Football & John Vargo on Basketball) than Vindy.
Looks like we have a rich guy on the blog.  Can afford to waste money on both Trib and Vindy!  Only thing I know for sure ET is you are too old to be a millennial, huh ET?  (speaking from the prospective of a senior citizen that still subscribes to the Trib.)

Rich? On YSU Faculty salary?
I subscribe to both papers for Sunday for the discount coupons to save $$ so I can afford the season tickets.
I drive a Chevy....does that sound rich to you? Millennial? I am at the front end of the baby boomer.... Lol

Seriously, I am looking forward to both the YSU football & football season.
Did you get down for the Art Fair?  Great event for showing off campus and what is good beyond sports at YSU.
You can tell the boomers, we think coupons from the paper.  My kids and grandkids scoff at printed media and show off far better deals and variety from on-line deals! 
Seriously YSU season tickets about the best value in sports out there!  FB season ticket with tailgate pass about equal to 1 browns game and we actually have a chance to win!
Yes, I went down to the Arts festival last weekend. The weather was great and my wife(YSU grad) and I both enjoy the music in the fountain square. Planetarium always put on a good show also.
YSU football season ticket is truly a bargain. The campus improvements have come a long way since Tres took over as YSU president although parking is still a problem.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

Yes, I went down to the Arts festival last weekend. The weather was great and my wife(YSU grad) and I both enjoy the music in the fountain square. Planetarium always put on a good show also.
YSU football season ticket is truly a bargain. The campus improvements have come a long way since Tres took over as YSU president although parking is still a problem.
[/quote]
Parking has always been a problem.  I started at YSU when the largest lot was referred to as the "mud lot". 
(Careful what you credit to Tres.  1AA thinks Strollo is responsible for all the improvements!) 
That JMU sign still KILLS me!  WTF were they thinking of sending "our" tickets to the opponent?  Whatever.  I do hope we get some "enlighted" leadership in our sports marketing effort, but I am sure Strollo has a good excuse.  He IS the master of that, at least!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Forget what, that we could not sell as many tickets as JMU. Yes I was embarrassed, but that is about the extent of it. Already forgotten, this is 2017. Maybe we will get there again and fans will have more income. How about they move this game to someplace more accessible (aka less than a day drive)?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:30:45 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »

Forget what, that we could not sell as many tickets as JMU. Yes I was embarrassed, but that is about the extent of it. Already forgotten, this is 2017. Maybe we will get there again and fans will have more income. How about they move this game to someplace more accessible (aka less than a day drive)?

The athletic department is a joke and fumbled the whole situation but let's move on.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
I'm OK with the concept of "moving on".  But experience is the only way you learn and I would feel better about it if I had any sense the athletic department had learned anything.  Last I heard, they were still trying to convince me they did the right thing.  Whatever.  Tressel will have to pay a little closer attention next time.  If it is worth doing right, it is worth doing it yourself, and obviously he can't trust his own athletic department.
Moved on.
Biggest hole for 2017 was obviously DE.   The freshmen look to have potential but at least the top 2 recruits are 215 lbs, and they isn’t enough.  They will certainly add in the weight room, but for 2017 we seem to be pretty thin if Justis Reed isn’t healthy.  Anybody have an input at DE? 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
DE will be interesting to watch. Reed is healthy and ready to go. Ready to compete for a starting job.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
46!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
DE will be interesting to watch. Reed is healthy and ready to go. Ready to compete for a starting job.
He damn sure better be ready to compete for starting job, we don't have any DE's!  Question is, compete with who (or is whom?)  I'm going to go out on a limb and say, I don't think Reed can play both sides at the same time.  We still need another starter and a couple back-ups.  Fazson Chapman looked like an adequate back-up last year, but replacing Moss/Rivers is a BIG step from "adequate back-up"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 10:21:32 PM »
I'm OK with the concept of "moving on".  But experience is the only way you learn and I would feel better about it if I had any sense the athletic department had learned anything.  Last I heard, they were still trying to convince me they did the right thing.  Whatever.  Tressel will have to pay a little closer attention next time.  If it is worth doing right, it is worth doing it yourself, and obviously he can't trust his own athletic department.
Moved on.

Why I thought he did everything ... I understand he does not need a landing for the boat at the Pitt game. LOL. Sure, if there even is an issue he can be part of it right? Say you know that you can write a letter to the editor at the Vindy? You know that two former Vindy Penguin beat writers still work close bye and have no reason not to answer your emails. You can certainly find the answer. You can even email or call Eric McLellan or Sheryl Schuff at the school. So many options. Here is another good one, Trina Simerly of the NCAA (tsimerly@ncaa.org). We emailed her when we had as many as 80 people talking about going. It ended up being 9 (myself not included) but she was more than prepared to put all of us together in the YSU section. This was well after everyone started talking crap. So yes, let's move on, but down the right path ...shall we?

Also our biggest gap to fill (by far) is at TB. It will actually be nice to see some DE's stay at home so our safeties can do the same.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »

IAA, while I think losing Jody Webb and Martin Ruiz at TB does put us worse off at that position, I like what I've seen from McCaster and Alessi. We will be fine at tailback. Its an opinion but I was thinking our biggest gap would be at DE.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:39:20 AM »

IAA, while I think losing Jody Webb and Martin Ruiz at TB does put us worse off at that position, I like what I've seen from McCaster and Alessi. We will be fine at tailback. Its an opinion but I was thinking our biggest gap would be at DE.

We are not going to be able to replace 2 NFL caliber DE. How many teams in the country have 2 DE drafted by NFL in the same year?
In absence of these 2 DE, it is critical for our LB to put pressure on the QB and our DB/safeties to cover the receivers.
With Wrght and other starters coming becoming back, LB will be pretty good.
My concerns are with DB and Safeties since we lost most starters. Because we had a history of giving up big plays, we need these players to step up.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »
This was well after everyone started talking crap. So yes, let's move on, but down the right path ...shall we?
Right path?  Whatever

Also our biggest gap to fill (by far) is at TB. It will actually be nice to see some DE's stay at home so our safeties can do the same.

WHAT!!!  In the day of the spread offenses, DE's planted on the end the line and safeties planted in the backfield is absolutely the kiss of death!  For better or worse, defensive football is all about pressure on the QB and receivers.  You let the QB stand back and gaze across a field with 5 receivers running all over the place and you will give up 100 points!  You talked all last year about all these guys that could run, Davis, Hosick and Mays and when we got a guy that at 6-5 could stand back and look for a receiver to throw to, we started to win and went all the way to the national championship game.  DE’s need to sell out on damn near every play and DB’s need to pressure the receivers on damn near every play or you will lose for sure.  Glad Pelini is coach and not you!
We will be almot as good at RB this year as last, it's the QB pressure that has me worried.