Author Topic: JSU  (Read 42044 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: JSU
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
Welcome back Nation...No posts for a while.. Tough to be a hater isn't it??  We all know you hate Wells and he couldn't go too D2 and that your dog is a better QB. Nada family?? Anyways keep posting your stats. They don't lie right? May's was 1-1 last week. Should be starting for the Brown's under you stats analysis.. All the Qb's have performed when out there. You QB coach and run the offense in your mind and let the big boys do there job!!!!   Go Penguins!!

I'm not sure who my "dog" is, or who you are referring to.  I like loyalty, dedication, toughness, commitment, and excellence.  This YSU FB squad has those traits in spades, minus one player.  You gotta admire Trent going in for another play, a passing play, after suffering multiple clavicle fractures on the prior play versus UNI.  You gotta admire Davis playing with a sore knee and a concussion, and playing well.  Both sustained these injuries sacrificing their own well being for the team, and you could even say for the fans and the community.  You also must admire Nathan for leaving the safety of the pocket when required to gain every yard he can.  Nathan saved a TD on special teams with a great tackle. All three are tough, dedicated, and epitomize Youngstown football.  FWIW, Davis didn't threaten to leave last year when (wrongfully) denied the starting role, and Trent and Nathan didn't threaten to leave this year.  Their commitment to the program is admirable.  Conner McFadden tried to tackle a Pitt punt returner last year...even a punter sacrificed himself...he failed but at least he tried.  Football is a violent sport, and requires toughness. BTW, if Trent or Nathan or Ricky performed like Wells or lacked commitment, my comments would similarly reflect that. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 03:36:46 PM »
Nation, you should have been Japanese.  You would have made a great Kamikaze.  For me, give me an intelligent guy that can throw the ball where it needs to be, and live to fight another day.  While Hosick, Mays, and Davis have, by your description, throw their bodies to the wind, Hunter is leading us to another deep run in the playoffs.  Give me wins over mindless sacrifice anytime.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »
I am not sure I follow this between Nation and Go Guins. However:

1. There is no one more dedicated to this team than Wells. When you are told that you will not be starting (or back-up) as you no longer fit the program, so look elsewhere ...he did. That is just common sense at that point. Self preservation.

2. I think you will see both Bo and Shane here next year Go Guins. Bo will have his offers, but a couple of years in his home town have done him a world of good and a couple more will mature his family. However, I do think a Big-10 offer may be hard to pass up. The two coaches had a long discussion and Wells is it ...for this year and next.

Mays has shown he wants to be the future of this team and he has the tools. He needs coach Shane, as does Wells. Let's look at other schools of the past. Delaware had 3-straight star transfers. Each one was promised the team the day they showed up for the first campus visit and that is a tremendous risk for a coach to take. There was not even a promise to compete, as YSU has done in with Hosick and others. Tressel told a starting Big-10 QB (and local product) that he would have to wait a year until Issac graduates. However, I am sure Tressel also told Cochran the Ray does get injured quite a bit and he would see playing time right away. Bo is also a big star transfer & we know that Ron Strollo has to accept certain risks to keep him.

So I guess this tells me two things: if you make your promises (as a administrator, coach or player), you had better stick to them and if Hunter was asked to come back and be our "man" ... it was not for the final 3-games (which is what this team was on track to have); we owe it to him. Maybe Bo and Shane's idea of a "running QB" have become more similar after events of this year. If YSU makes their promise to Bo, the university has to keep their promises as well.

As to what has to be the mindset of Strollo and Tressel ...truth be told. Bo is a risk ...Shane is not. Bo is a big-time coach, with what can be big-time issues and big-time offers; this equals big-time risk. Strollo was not standing on the field last year for a better view of the game. Shane is good OC and certainly has his offers. He is an Ohio guy, loves the HS game and knows southern and especially central Ohio recruits very well. He is simply a huge asset to this program. Right now, we have the top HC and Coordinators in the country and I think I speak for the fans and the administration when saying that YSU wants to keep all three of them as long as possible!!!

ps: I found my long underwear ...GO GUINS!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:35:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2016, 08:12:55 AM »
Nation, you should have been Japanese. 

How do you know I'm not?  ;D

For me, give me an intelligent guy that can throw the ball where it needs to be, and live to fight another day.  While Hosick, Mays, and Davis have, by your description, throw their bodies to the wind, Hunter is leading us to another deep run in the playoffs.  Give me wins over mindless sacrifice anytime.

Meaning no disrespect to JSU, they couldn't pass rush my Aunt Sara.  What happens when we face a team that can?  We know SDSU and NDSU can.  Only an MVFC squad was able to end JSU's season last year and this year.  IMO, it really makes it clear that the MVFC is head and shoulders above everyone else...maybe also JMU and EWU are on our level.   We were fortunate to have great bracket placement. No chance of meeting another MVFC team or JMU until Frisco.  Anyway, we'd be exactly where we are right now with any of our QBs.  JSU was a paper tiger with great stats compiled in the woeful OVC.  They would be a bottom third team in the MVFC.  Much of the praise of Wells is a couple games with no pics, but nobody praises Ruiz or Webb for not fumbling.  The bar and expectations are very low.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »
Nation I hear what your saying and somewhat agree with you.
But I don't think this team is built around a QB that can throw it all over the yard. We are not JSU and I'm thankful for that. We are a grind it out offense, one that sets up our QB to make short throws and not get our offense behind. We did throw deep against JSU but the only reason we did was because they put 8 in the box and said go ahead and throw if you can cuz we are stopping the run. Once Wells hit a few deep balls they had to respect it and it opened up the run game. I expect Wofford to do the same.
Wells missed a few easy throws and got away with one over the middle that the LB dropped. Those mistakes can't happen from here on out.
I expect we will put a couple of TE's in the backfield tomorrow and run it straight at Wofford until they prove they can stop it or load the box like JSU did. But Wells needs to make those throws tomorrow.
I also expect to see a lot of Ricky running the offense tomorrow to open up the passing game.

YSU. 24-7

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »
1. There is no one more dedicated to this team than Wells. When you are told that you will not be starting (or back-up) as you no longer fit the program, so look elsewhere ...he did. That is just common sense at that point. Self preservation.

I think the term "self-preservation" is accurate.  Like his non-starting teammates, he could have said, "I can and will compete.  I can and will contribute.  I am proud to be a Penguin"  Mays is on special teams, trying to contribute in any way. Wells is of limited utility on special teams due to his fear of contact and immobility.  I don't see how a guy who quit his team when told he wasn't starting, stopped dressing for games, and was planning on transferring, as "dedicated." 

If there was an employee who quit because they were upset about being demoted due to a lack of performance, would you reward that with a promotion?  Could you imagine the dynamic that would create amongst your hard-working and loyal employees?  You'd destroy your business.

Mays has shown he wants to be the future of this team and he has the tools. He needs coach Shane, as does Wells. Let's look at other schools of the past. Delaware had 3-straight star transfers. Each one was promised the team the day they showed up for the first campus visit and that is a tremendous risk for a coach to take. There was not even a promise to compete, as YSU has done in with Hosick and others. Tressel told a starting Big-10 QB (and local product) that he would have to wait a year until Issac graduates. However, I am sure Tressel also told Cochran the Ray does get injured quite a bit and he would see playing time right away. Bo is also a big star transfer & we know that Ron Strollo has to accept certain risks to keep him.

So I guess this tells me two things: if you make your promises (as a administrator, coach or player), you had better stick to them and if Hunter was asked to come back and be our "man" ... it was not for the final 3-games (which is what this team was on track to have); we owe it to him. Maybe Bo and Shane's idea of a "running QB" have become more similar after events of this year. If YSU makes their promise to Bo, the university has to keep their promises as well.

We would be in the same place right now with Mays as starting QB, but would have groomed a future QB with valuable experience.  If we had done that, imagine Mays as an upper classman. This was a situation where you could have had your cake and ate it too.  We prepare for the future and win in the present. Tomorrow is the result  of today's sacrifice and decisions.

My impression is that Wells would only accept a deal to start, not to be #2 behind Mays, in exchange to give up a year of eligibility.  Wells had all of the leverage really because of his lack of allegiance to the program.  He out-negotiated the staff.  That deal, created out of a position of fear (of not having a QB back-up) and weakness, will cost us later.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Had an employee been given an unfair "shake" or poor performance? I did not see anything that would be cause for demotion from Wells. You did. Also, I saw potential in Mays and you laughed at me over camp. You cannot jump around. My company just had a very large lay-off. The second in one-year. We are a software company. Two years ago we cancelled a project because we had an offer from Microsoft to develop a tool for them. We even hired in one of their people and made him a VP in our company to direct the new MS tool. It was a tool that had the same purpose as the one we cancelled, only it runs on the MS Enterprise platform. We lost countless developers that worked on two other platforms that we built on.  We had a product manager that was in charge of developing the first new product and he was kept on to keep our legacy products afloat until the new MS tool could be built. Guess what? We just cancelled the contract with MS and dismissed the VP. Our president was fired because of a poor decision to change our product direction that put us 2.5-years behind the rest of the industry. That manager of legacy products is now back in charge of the product that was cancelled. He was clearly being under-used as a manager of products no longer being enhanced, just as Hunter was not being utilized to his full ability as a scout team QB. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking he was 3rd-string. With the first injury, Mays was moved up to 2nd (over Wells) so he could get reps with the 1st-team.

No matter what you say, Hunter was given his walking papers. He stuck around with hope of a red-shirt, worked with the team all through summer camp and the season knowing this. Don't try to tell me that Monty reworked his offense after spring ball and Hunter was not aware. How much more loyalty do you want? Even if he could have come in a couple of times earlier in the season, it was clear that we had an offense that he could not support. IMO, although well-intended, your last comments just are not accurate or practical. Wells still could have said "no" ...but he did not. You should also be thankful that coach M has the skills to rework an offense in mid-season, helping us make the post-season.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:48:01 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
Blah Blah Blah, Wells is this and Wells is that.  He beat a weaker blah blah blah.  Anybody but Wells beat cream puffs. Blah, Blah, Blah.  If we started Mays same result.  Blah Blah Blah.  Jacksonville st sucks Sanford sucks blah blah blah.  You sound like the sore losers that screamed.  He's not my President!  We are in the final 8.  Love him or hate him.  Wells saved our season. Lets enjoy this at least I am!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
Blah Blah Blah, Wells is this and Wells is that.  He beat a weaker blah blah blah.  Anybody but Wells beat cream puffs. Blah, Blah, Blah.  If we started Mays same result.  Blah Blah Blah.  Jacksonville st sucks Sanford sucks blah blah blah.  You sound like the sore losers that screamed.  He's not my President!  We are in the final 8.  Love him or hate him.  Wells saved our season. Lets enjoy this at least I am!

lol.....I can't decide what is funnier...the cheeto-man reference or claiming Wells saved our season.... :D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Haters have to hate GoGuins. The only reason that I am not tailgating at this very moment is because I have to wait until 9a for the ticket office to open and get my tailgate pass.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
 Love him or hate him.  Wells saved our season. Lets enjoy this at least I am!

Hey Nation, YSUGO is 100% right on this!  He is a winner and you sound like a very sad loser.  Instead of Nation for short, maybe we should start calling you Hillary?

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
Love him or hate him.  Wells saved our season. Lets enjoy this at least I am!

Hey Nation, YSUGO is 100% right on this!  He is a winner and you sound like a very sad loser.  Instead of Nation for short, maybe we should start calling you Hillary?
I procrastinated on posting the same statement--was going to post yesterday that whether you love or hate Hunter Wells he saved our season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
delusional drivel......saved our season.......lol......was he saving it while refusing to put on the Penguin uniform while others were doing the heavy lifting against ISUr and UNI?  When he ran to the safety of the sideline in Q4 versus Wofford and stopped the clock, giving Wofford more time and endangering the outcome of the game and season?  Or having negative rushing yards in all but one game? BTW, that game against a #2 SoCon school should never have gone to OT.  We dropped in Massey from #3 to #4 after that game. We had the easiest path to the semifinals possible, which has allowed a QB frightened of contact to barely get us this far. Despite his disloyalty to the program, and disabling fear of contact that costs our team, I wish him well.  I hope the rest of the team, like the much improved o-line, WRs, and RBs (Webb, McCaster, Alessi), can continue to carry him on their backs.  "...every damn down"....unless you're a fragile prima donna QB....lol.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »
Instead of Nation for short, maybe we should start calling you Hillary?

Watch it!  Hillary has a way of making ppl go away!  :D  If you'd like, you can donate to the "Penguin Nation Global Initiative", or the "Nation Foundation", and I'll promise to give 6% of it to Haiti.........

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »
Instead of Nation for short, maybe we should start calling you Hillary?

Watch it!  Hillary has a way of making ppl go away!  :D  If you'd like, you can donate to the "Penguin Nation Global Initiative", or the "Nation Foundation", and I'll promise to give 6% of it to Haiti.........
Yep, I was right, a Hilly clone!  (you think 6% is going to Haiti, I bet you are high by half!)