Author Topic: JSU  (Read 41857 times)

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: JSU
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
I really don't consider 360 yards of offense against the Bison Defense a total A$$ beating we moved the ball between the 20's very good. Yes they had 10 points off of turnovers..Why the hate Mayor?
No hate, just stating the facts. Maybe I'm old school but getting beat by 21 points I consider an ass handed to you game. Go Guins!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:24:24 PM by mayor »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
The most points give you the win, not the most yards (it was 314 yards), and can be a deceptive stat esp when a QB commits 2 TOs/2 fumbles/1 pic, giving NDSU short fields and little need to generate impressive yardage stats, although they did generate 15 more yards of offense despite multiple short field drives.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 07:03:03 PM »
Listen to Jacksonville's coach in the press conference Nation, nothing but high praise with how we are managing the offense. Zero turnovers the last 3 games and a very high percentage on 3rd down conversation's. The reason we have been successful is because we are getting positive yardage on 1st and 2nd down. We were also very successful against N.D.S. in that category. The read option for zero yards or negative yards when the box is stacked on 1st and 2nd down is a thing of the past and it makes Montgomery's job much easier. Like it or not he has put together good game plans and has called good games over the last half of the season and the players are executing it..If it wasn't for them bringing Wells back we would not be in this position we are in today..If they thought enough of Ricky as a passer they would have let him run about 5 times a game from the pocket when needed instead of the punishment he received running 20 plus times a game
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:05:17 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »
.If it wasn't for them bringing Wells back we would not be in this position we are in today..If they thought enough of Ricky as a passer they would have let him run about 5 times a game from the pocket when needed instead of the punishment he received running 20 plus times a game

Because they brought Wells back, we were able to beat Samford and the three worst MVFC teams? Davis, at the time suffering from a traumatic brain injury, beat a playoff team, ISUr, on the road by two scores.  Without Davis, we needed a special teams TD to win to beat ISUb.  13.3% of Wells' completions that day were to the opponents defense.

I believe they let Davis run because he could.  Look at the last game where he was at least healthy for a part of the game.  At WVU, he was our leading rusher and had no turnovers.  This year, Davis has 340 yards rushing.  Wells is negative 34 yards so far rushing this year (minus 78 years last two years)....against the worst Ds the MVFC has to offer and one of the worst SoCon Ds.  Against Samford, it was particularly obvious Wells was going to not run and risk contact when given the opportunity.  Even the ESPN announcers couldn't ignore that.  He doesn't sacrifice himself for the team.

Here's the MVFC total offense stats:
9. Davis, Ricky-YSU Jr 8 340 864 189 1204 150.5
10. Ruiz, Martin-YSU Sr 12 1086 0 191 1086 90.5

Davis moved the ball.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind.pdf

Also, in our last 5 games, our passing yards are down ~33%.  Thankfully our rushing yards are up.

Current passing efficiency stats:
PASSING    GP-GS    Effic    Cmp-Att-Int    Pct    Yards     TD    Long    Avg/G
Davis, Ricky     8-6     126.5    55-106-5    51.9    864    5    74    108.0
Wells, Hunter     5-5     125.5    66-105-3    62.9    736    3    41    147.2

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/files/teamcume.htm

Davis with a higher passing efficiency, yards, and more TDs with similar # attempts and with stats compiled against better competition....and while injured.  Davis is not just a better runner, but a better passer.

I know the coaches were desperate when our #s 1 and 2 QBs went down, and likely struck a deal with Wells to forgo a redshirt year and not transfer to D2.  I think the right move was to start Mays, who would've gained  valuable experience and still beat the cellar dwellers, and convert Bailey to the reserve QB.  I hope Saturday to be proven wrong.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »
There is really know sense of arguing over this Nation. Wells is the quarterback that Bo wants. He even told a reporter Hunter would be the guy going forward even if Ricky came back from injury..He gives us the best chance of winning and moving the offense it's that simple
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:45:35 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
There is really know sense of arguing over this Nation. Wells is the quarterback that Bo wants. He even told a reporter Hunter would be the guy going forward even if Ricky came back from injury..He gives us the best chance of winning and moving the offense it's that simple

That's not true. Bo loves a running QB, hence why Wells was #4 on the depth chart at the start of the year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

Interesting.  Bo said earlier this season, adamantly, that, once serviceable, no one loses their spot due to an injury.

Moral of the story:  sacrifice team success, avoid contact, and be the starter. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
If Wells continues to make good decisions, I'm 100% in favor of him being the guy. A month ago we had all the turmoil with the QB issues and a decision many questioned has paid off, as our President-Elect would say, "Big League."

Just keep winning Penguins!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Just finished watching the JSU /UT Martin game. The Gamecocks are a team that prides themselves into creating turnovers and turning them into points. They held the #1 offense   in the O.V.C. to 7 points by intercepting their Qb four times. The strength of their team is the secondary and they are a veteran group that can really break on the ball. Their running back #6 is a very elusive runner and has a crazy spin move that we have not seen from any other running backs this year. If we take care of the football, capitalize in the red-zone and play sound in all 3 phases of the game I like our chances in a tight one..24-17 Guins!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »
Wells is the quarterback that Bo wants.

I don't care who the QB is as long as the Guins are winning, but if Wells was Bo's QB then Bo wouldn't have brought in Hosick and Wells would have been the starter from day 1.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Wells is the quarterback that Bo wants.

I don't care who the QB is as long as the Guins are winning, but if Wells was Bo's QB then Bo wouldn't have brought in Hosick and Wells would have been the starter from day 1.
This is clearly the case.  Bo wanted the running guy, not Shane.  Bo is the one that got is in a mid season mess and Hunter along with Shane have moved us forward the 2nd half!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 03:28:56 PM »
  Take away Duquense and Robert Morris, and Rickey Davis is overwhelmed.  Any of our four quarterbacks would have looked good against those two teams.

Wells gives us our best shot to win, period.  Davis looked looked lost against South Dakota St.   We don't need a running quarterback.  We need a quarterback who can make 8-12 timely throws on Saturday.  Won't be easy, their defense is very good.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 09:27:41 PM »
  Take away Duquense and Robert Morris, and Rickey Davis is overwhelmed.  Any of our four quarterbacks would have looked good against those two teams.

Wells gives us our best shot to win, period.  Davis looked looked lost against South Dakota St.   We don't need a running quarterback.  We need a quarterback who can make 8-12 timely throws on Saturday.  Won't be easy, their defense is very good.
Ricky Davis never played a down in the Robert Morris game. He was out with a concussion that he got the week before against WVU. He came back and with Trent Hosick out for the year and Hunter Wells not practicing, he kept quiet and played 4 games with severe headaches and blurry vision until, after the SDS game, he couldn't take it anymore and went to the doctor, failing 4 concussion tests over the next two weeks, negatively affecting him the rest of his life. So if he seemed a little lost against SD State, he probably was. What else you got Einstein?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »

Ricky Davis never played a down in the Robert Morris game. He was out with a concussion that he got the week before against WVU. He came back and with Trent Hosick out for the year and Hunter Wells not practicing, he kept quiet and played 4 games with severe headaches and blurry vision until, after the SDS game, he couldn't take it anymore and went to the doctor, failing 4 concussion tests over the next two weeks, negatively affecting him the rest of his life. So if he seemed a little lost against SD State, he probably was. What else you got Einstein?

And now the truth comes out. Boom.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
Davis played with passion.  With heart. With courage. Tenacity. Skill.  Lots of skill.

It was Youngstown football in its purest form.

My thoughts and prayers for a full recovery to a tremendous athlete.