Author Topic: JSU  (Read 41943 times)

Offline Brother

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
JSU
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »
I’m not sure how many of you will be making the trip to Jacksonville, but you will find us to be a pretty welcoming bunch.  Very impressed with your team.  I think you will be the most athletic defensive team we have faced since LSU.  Safe travels for those of you making the trip. 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: JSU
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
I’m not sure how many of you will be making the trip to Jacksonville, but you will find us to be a pretty welcoming bunch.  Very impressed with your team.  I think you will be the most athletic defensive team we have faced since LSU.  Safe travels for those of you making the trip.

Can you give us a bit of a scouting report on your squad? All I've heard was that you have a lot of transfers and most of last years starters back. I did see a couple of your playoff games last year and you had some impressive looking players all over the field.

Offline Brother

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »
We have had a lot of success.  Unbeaten in conference play for the past couple of years. 
The only FCS loss we have had in two years is the championship game loss to NDSU last year.   We do have a large number of FBS transfers.  It’s almost a necessity for us to get high quality players.  There are so many FBS schools in our area that they sign up most of the good players.  Many of those find out later that a school like JSU is better for them and transfer to us. 

Like YSU, our defense is the strength of the team this year.  Very stingy against the run. Pass defense is pretty good also, but we tend to give up a big play once or twice per game.  We’re not very disciplined overall and commit a lot of penalties.  It’s been an ongoing problem.  We are very aggressive though.

Offensively, we want to run the ball and we have a loaded backfield.  Our quarterback is a great leader and is a dual threat.  The receivers are adequate with the exception of Josh Barge.  He is tremendous.  Catches anything that is close to him.  We have had kicking game struggles all year, especially field goals and extra points. 

Overall, we have performed well enough to win but we always seem like we are just not hitting on all cylinders on offense and special teams.  Defense has been playing so well though that they refuse to let us lose.  I don’t know if we can get anything going offensively against your defense or not.  We have the capability but just haven’t really done it with any consistency this year. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Bo says Moss and Wright should be full go for this weeks game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
We have had a lot of success.  Unbeaten in conference play for the past couple of years. 
The only FCS loss we have had in two years is the championship game loss to NDSU last year.   We do have a large number of FBS transfers.  It’s almost a necessity for us to get high quality players.  There are so many FBS schools in our area that they sign up most of the good players.  Many of those find out later that a school like JSU is better for them and transfer to us. 

Like YSU, our defense is the strength of the team this year.  Very stingy against the run. Pass defense is pretty good also, but we tend to give up a big play once or twice per game.  We’re not very disciplined overall and commit a lot of penalties.  It’s been an ongoing problem.  We are very aggressive though.

Offensively, we want to run the ball and we have a loaded backfield.  Our quarterback is a great leader and is a dual threat.  The receivers are adequate with the exception of Josh Barge.  He is tremendous.  Catches anything that is close to him.  We have had kicking game struggles all year, especially field goals and extra points. 

Overall, we have performed well enough to win but we always seem like we are just not hitting on all cylinders on offense and special teams.  Defense has been playing so well though that they refuse to let us lose.  I don’t know if we can get anything going offensively against your defense or not.  We have the capability but just haven’t really done it with any consistency this year.

Last year I do not think any team came close the number of FCS transfers that you guys had.

Offline Brother

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
I’m not sure if we have had the most transfers or not.  I’m not sure if there are any official stats kept on that.  Regardless, it has worked for us pretty well. 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »
I’m not sure if we have had the most transfers or not.  I’m not sure if there are any official stats kept on that.  Regardless, it has worked for us pretty well.

Thanks for the info. We're pretty similar it seems.

Might be the first one to 10 wins haha.

I think your QB might give us problems, but we seemed to play to contain the SU QB in the pocket rather than rush and give him running lanes. It worked out well he was very hesitant throwing against 7 or 8 men in coverage. I hope we come up with something for your guy I saw some plays on youtube he's a handful.

Offline Northcoast Penguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
My daughter attends Murray State University and I had the opportunity to watch Murray State vs. Jacksonville State.  Jacksonville State played a poor first half but really handled Murray in the second half.  From what I saw, Brother scouting report is right on.  They have a stellar defense against the run and tended to give up some big plays with the pass.  Their QB is an outstanding athlete who can throw, run and has some size and speed.  Should be an outstanding game.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
The weather for Saturday is a high of 53. Winds about 7 miles an hour. And steady rain all afternoon. Not sure a passing game is going to work. Need to grind this one out and stay away from fumbles

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
The weather for Saturday is a high of 53. Winds about 7 miles an hour. And steady rain all afternoon. Not sure a passing game is going to work. Need to grind this one out and stay away from fumbles
The latest forecast shows the rain holding off untill 5 p.m. with a light wind. I think J.S.U. will load up the box take their chances and force Hunter to throw. The key here will be pass protection and giving him time to throw..Should be interesting

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
The latest forecast shows the rain holding off untill 5 p.m. with a light wind. I think J.S.U. will load up the box take their chances and force Hunter to throw. The key here will be pass protection and giving him time to throw..Should be interesting
If I'm playing YSU that is what I would do.  The difference with Hunter is he can drop back and sling it.  I don't believe he ever zipped the ball last year like he did as a freshman.  I think he is now throwing back to form.  I assume something was hurt last year, but have no inside or info to confirm.  In any case we are far better now than the middle of the season.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Something has to give, Jacksonville allowed just 236 yards per game in conference play. 65 on the ground and 171 through the air and opponents only completed 44 % of their passes and threw a good amount of interceptions . I just feel the strength of conference will end up being the difference in this game

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
According to both Massey and Sagarin, Samford, a bubble team that squeaked into the playoffs, would be ranked 7/11 in the MVFC, and only that high because of an explosive offense.  The Samford D is ranked in the bottom 3 of every major defensive category of the SoCon. 

Three of our final four conference games were against the bottom three teams in the MVFC.  The one team we played in the last five weeks that was anywhere close to worthy of a seed was NDSU, who defeated us by three scores.  Our conference schedule was very top heavy.

I don't understand how the sports announcers and coaches can say, "we are peaking" now, or feel that they can extrapolate the results of MSU or Samford to playing JSU.  The only team like JSU we've recently played is NDSU.  If the Browns win their first game against Hubbard, will they claim they are peaking?

With Moss and Wright back, I think the defense can overcome deficiencies elsewhere....I hope.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »
If I'm playing YSU that is what I would do.  The difference with Hunter is he can drop back and sling it.  I don't believe he ever zipped the ball last year like he did as a freshman.  I think he is now throwing back to form.  I assume something was hurt last year, but have no inside or info to confirm.  In any case we are far better now than the middle of the season.
It might be because we haven't played anybody good since the middle of the season except NDS and they handed our ass to us. :)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
I really don't consider 360 yards of offense against the Bison Defense a total A$$ beating we moved the ball between the 20's very good. Yes they had 10 points off of turnovers..Why the hate Mayor?