Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 38631 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Spring Game
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
I hope we get a good crowd Friday. I took a day off work and plan on attending the pregame dinner as well. Last year at the pregame dinner, a member of our group won a field chair signed by Tressel and Pelini. The year before I won use of the loge for the spring game and the previous year I won a football signed by all of the team.

Dinner is at 6p with game starting at 7p!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
I was at the game and dinner last year. I am actually off work friday as well. I will definitely be at the game. My friend and I are coming. But I wont' be at the dinner

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:37:20 AM »
1AAFan will there be a radio broadcast of the game?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:33:26 PM »
I am told "no" Fever.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »
I am told "no" Fever.
It never has been before, so I'm sure 1AA is right.  Boy, I'm thinking how tough a game that would be to broadcast.  You have the problem of not tackling the QB, and the "trators"  (IE guys that put on vests and play for both teams)  Coaches on the field, goofy kick rules etc. It would be a nightmare to do play by play!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »
  WKBN radio, 570 doing a YSU broadcast tomorrow at 7:30 til 9.  But Dan Rivers said today there is no game, more of a scrimmage.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
Great with radio news.  I need all the help I can get keeping track of the players.  (RE, Dan R, spring games ARE scrimmages)  Good grief, there is only 1 team.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:17:31 AM »
Today is the day guys!  ;D

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
Today is the day guys!  ;D
Hey YO, don't get to carried away, this is a practice!  "The Day" might more logically be considered Sept. 1st, or even Nov. 26th!   

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »
Ok fair enough. But this is going to still be the first time in months I've seen the team play. Plus it gives us a way to tide us over till fall (or maybe it will take more of our patience for the football season away). But either way, I'm excited. fb

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
There's a red / white roster posted on YSU's site, and I noticed that Jalyn Powell is not listed.  Anyone know if he is injured?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
I know a lot of guys were banged up and guys were mismatched but wow the offense needs a lot of work.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. really great crowd!!!

In short:

Hosick who? If the season started tomorrow, Davis would start and Mays would be his back-up. No O-line of any kind, so no running either. Wells made deliberate running attempts, and was obviously trying to look-off his receivers; but still has the best "cannon". Would not surprise me to seem him keep his job.

Good coverage plays today, but white corners never saw the ball. Speed seems up this year. I would say that coach M is spot-on with his analysis.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:09:18 PM »
Before anybody draws conclusions from a spring game, go to the university site and listen to Pelini's postgame comments.  That was not ones v. twos.  Talent was split up, and the offensive lines were a mess because of injuries and inexperience.  Remember that we have seen in the past brilliant individual performances from players who faded into oblivion by the fall.  We have also seen lackluster spring games from teams that subsequently won national titles. 

The one thing that stood out for me was the tackling.  Few broken tackles and many nice one-on-one hits, including some on Webb and Ruiz.  I am much happier with a good defense and an offense that needs some work than I would be if that were reversed.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »
Great with radio news.  I need all the help I can get keeping track of the players.  (RE, Dan R, spring games ARE scrimmages)  Good grief, there is only 1 team.

I put it on Iheart radio and they didn't switch the feed.  Stupid boobs forget every time.  Didn't bother to call this time