Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 38360 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 08:13:14 AM »
Before anybody draws conclusions from a spring game, go to the university site and listen to Pelini's postgame comments.  That was not ones v. twos.  Talent was split up, and the offensive lines were a mess because of injuries and inexperience.  Remember that we have seen in the past brilliant individual performances from players who faded into oblivion by the fall.  We have also seen lackluster spring games from teams that subsequently won national titles. 

The one thing that stood out for me was the tackling.  Few broken tackles and many nice one-on-one hits, including some on Webb and Ruiz.  I am much happier with a good defense and an offense that needs some work than I would be if that were reversed.

Wick you eloquently state exactly the same things that I think.   It is unusual.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:15:23 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
I went specifically to see a few things:

1. QB's were a positive.
2. Pizanias was not kicking. I am still concerned for our punting.
3. Thomas got up after he took the hit, but then they walked him to the training room ...any word?
4. The guys from St. Ed's can play ...all 3 of them were good.
5. TE's saw limited action.
6. The addition of Chapman to Moss and Rivers will give us the best DE's in the conference ...if not the division. Chapman is really sound.
7. Sandidge & McCaster carry the ball well & hit speed quickly. Sandidge drives a little better may replace Moore, but hard too say. He has looked solid in 3 practices and the spring game.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
I listened to the WKBN feed which simultaneously played the Sean Hannity show, until the feed went out completely in Q4. 

I thought Hannon and Sammarone were honest in their QB assessments.  They discussed Wells' issues with pick 6's, lack of mobilty, and specifically discussed his lack of toughness, particularly after a play where he took an early dive to avoid contact.  Sammarone spoke of the negative impact that lack of toughness has on the team as a whole.

Davis, who had the best passing efficiency and rushing yards of any YSU QB last year, again outperformed Wells as Davis had two scoring drives (Wells zero, Mays one).

Wells had a better Freshman year, regressed in his Sophomore year, and there is no indication that he will produce better results in 2016. Honestly, the best thing for Wells would be a program suitable for a pro style QB with a solid o line and strong receiver unit.

At least Hosick has the excuse of learning a new system, and in my opinion, the QB competition should be for the back-up between Mays and Hosick.  Wells, if he doesn't transfer, would be the nuclear option if all others are injured.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/apr/16/defense-rules/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Thanks everyone. really great crowd!!!

In short:

Hosick who? If the season started tomorrow, Davis would start and Mays would be his back-up. No O-line of any kind, so no running either. Wells made deliberate running attempts, and was obviously trying to look-off his receivers; but still has the best "cannon". Would not surprise me to seem him keep his job.

Good coverage plays today, but white corners never saw the ball. Speed seems up this year. I would say that coach M is spot-on with his analysis.
Ricky Davis is playing well enough that I would actually consider moving Trent Hosick to Running back. The question is can Ricky do this on a consistent basis? Wells is still the best passer we have, but from what I heard last night on the radio that wouldn't do much good. Coach M is spot on and has his work cut for him

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »

In short:

Hosick who? If the season started tomorrow, Davis would start and Mays would be his back-up. No O-line of any kind, so no running either. Wells made deliberate running attempts, and was obviously trying to look-off his receivers; but still has the best "cannon". Would not surprise me to seem him keep his job.

Good coverage plays today, but white corners never saw the ball. Speed seems up this year. I would say that coach M is spot-on with his analysis.
Ricky Davis is playing well enough that I would actually consider moving Trent Hosick to Running back. The question is can Ricky do this on a consistent basis? Wells is still the best passer we have, but from what I heard last night on the radio that wouldn't do much good. Coach M is spot on and has his work cut for him

The reason he has his work cut out is his own fault.  They are the ones solely responsible for getting the kids to come and making it interesting enough for them to stay.  Right?  Why do we always have these issues when others do not?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »
I listened to the WKBN feed which simultaneously played the Sean Hannity show, until the feed went out completely in Q4. 

I thought Hannon and Sammarone were honest in their QB assessments.  They discussed Wells' issues with pick 6's, lack of mobilty, and specifically discussed his lack of toughness, particularly after a play where he took an early dive to avoid contact.  Sammarone spoke of the negative impact that lack of toughness has on the team as a whole.

Davis, who had the best passing efficiency and rushing yards of any YSU QB last year, again outperformed Wells as Davis had two scoring drives (Wells zero, Mays one).

Wells had a better Freshman year, regressed in his Sophomore year, and there is no indication that he will produce better results in 2016. Honestly, the best thing for Wells would be a program suitable for a pro style QB with a solid o line and strong receiver unit.

At least Hosick has the excuse of learning a new system, and in my opinion, the QB competition should be for the back-up between Mays and Hosick.  Wells, if he doesn't transfer, would be the nuclear option if all others are injured.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/apr/16/defense-rules/

Even NDSU had the QB running the ball in tough situations.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »

In short:

The reason he has his work cut out is his own fault.  They are the ones solely responsible for getting the kids to come and making it interesting enough for them to stay.  Right?  Why do we always have these issues when others do not?

When discussing the issues with the receivers and the o line on Rick and Roth, he seemed oblivious to the fact that he was the OC for 6 years, and all of the shortcomings of the offense are a direct result of his stewardship of the offense.

Unless there are some FCS transfers, I don't see how this offense allows the team to make a deep playoff run. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »
Wick, if you looked at the projected roster, it did indeed appear to be one's vs twos. Now maybe it wasn't that way 100%, but it was for the most part. You had pretty much all the offensive starters on the white team (Ruiz, Webb, Harvin, Hosick, but not just the skill players. Look at the OL for the white: Justin Spencer, Sims, Cole Newsome, Fraser, Colucci, Zinni.

The red team had the following: Hunter Wells and Ricky Davis, and Isiah Scott along with the amazing defense: Avery Moss, Leroy Alexander, Derek Rivers, David Rivers, Dellovade, Cody Squiric
I'm sure Isiah will be a starter given he had good performance in comparison to all the other WRs but is probably on this squad for balance.

So I do think it was a sorta hybrid 1st team offense vs 1st team defense. Majority of the 1st team offense was on white with the 1st team defense mostly on the red. There seemed to be a couple of balancing things (eisenhuth on the red team and Fraser playing on both at line). But I think this does reflect that our offense needs alot of work in comparison to our defense (and our defense looks even improved from last year).

I don't think there was a whole lot of difference between any of the QBs. I think maybe Ricky looked the best, but I liked what I saw from Hosick too. And Wells would have been fine if anyone blocked or managed to catch a pass hitting them in the hands. I'm very concerned about the WRs. Not a whole lot we can do, but we certainly need to improve on the oline some and the receivers have to not mimic Greg Little in his heyday for the Browns.

I think maybe we can make some adjustments and get better with Fall camp, but we will have a tough year if the offense does not make those improvements.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
The O-Line needs to get healthy and get some continuity going or this will be a long season. Got beat up front badly last year. Were never able to run the ball effectively and Wells was a sitting duck because defenses were not worried about the play action at all and he cannot move at all. Davis and Hosick will give us the best chance to win because they can run, when things break down (and they will).

Another issue I have is the WR's. Who's going to step up besides Harvin and be that guy that the QB can rely on? Davis seems like he's comfortable with Scott. We shall see.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »
We still have issues at WR, punting, and we better go out and get more O lineman.  There was no way you could say which QB was better. I don't know who the WR coach is but since Coach Coleman left it seems like we are not coaching up our WR's .  Still don't see what I want at QB.  But again there was no way to tell.  I already know that Davis and Hosick can run.  I wanted to see them make throw the ball, to be a dual threat QB you have to keep the D honest with your throwing and right now Davis and Hosick are not anywhere close to being a dual threat.  So just like the receivers there is little identity or separation.    I think Pelini will not get us deep into the playoffs until we get a tougher identity on offense.  It's not just Wells that is supposedly soft I don't see much nastiness on the line or any part of the offense.  The one poster keeps picking on one player and I think as a whole our offense seems passive.  Anyways there is a lot of work to be done.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »
  The one poster keeps picking on one player and I think as a whole our offense seems passive. 

I seriously just like an honest discussion.  I may rip Strollo, Slocum, and a delicate QB who is in way over his head, but I also praise Tressel, Bolden (I'm not completely sold on Barnes), and our better QB who IMO has gotten the shaft.  I may call our AD moRon, but that's as personal as I get...I limit it to their performance....although once I made fun of how Slocum dresses....alright...mostly about their performance.......usually.....

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
We still have issues at WR, punting, and we better go out and get more O lineman.  There was no way you could say which QB was better. I don't know who the WR coach is but since Coach Coleman left it seems like we are not coaching up our WR's .  Still don't see what I want at QB.  But again there was no way to tell.  I already know that Davis and Hosick can run.  I wanted to see them make throw the ball, to be a dual threat QB you have to keep the D honest with your throwing and right now Davis and Hosick are not anywhere close to being a dual threat.  So just like the receivers there is little identity or separation.    I think Pelini will not get us deep into the playoffs until we get a tougher identity on offense.  It's not just Wells that is supposedly soft I don't see much nastiness on the line or any part of the offense.  The one poster keeps picking on one player and I think as a whole our offense seems passive.  Anyways there is a lot of work to be done.
I read a lot of insane stuff on this site without responding and am not going to say much here. I just want to remind you that Ricky was 3 of 4 passing for 80 yards with a touchdown and Hunter was 1 of 8 for 2 yards with Shane calling their plays. Trent was 3 of 7 for 20 yards and Nathan was 5 of 13 for 102 yards with another coach calling their plays. For whatever reason Shane didn't throw the ball as much as the other coach. I have seen every play of Spring Ball and the Red-White game. Ricky is a true dual threat QB and has success when allowed to do so. Going back to last year and again during spring practice, Shane will not let that kid throw. I think I know why, I will keep it to myself, but one thing that is clear, it's not because he can't do it. (Take a look at last years stats and see his passing efficiency.)

Mayor, I am sorry but Ricky has been screwed over by an incompetent OC.  Ricky should've started the Misery State game (actually earlier, but at that point it was insanely obvious Wells wasn't the guy) last year.  He has proven himself consistently.  Sammarone was clear during the WKBN broadcast that he felt Ricky is the superior QB, and not our current fragile statue.

Some of us see the obvious. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
Starting to think Pally has 2 of the identitys on  here.  I wasn't attacking any of the players. I like DAVIS, he is a hell of an athlete.  We know he has wheels. But we need to see him Throw and make good reads.  I want more from him.  Maybe I worded it wrong.  I want football smarts, toughness,  and leadership.  Who on this team has stepped up.  Rivers has at times.  I think when Wolford stripped this team down of all its upperclassman it set us back years because nobody had to pay their dues and respect the game for what it is. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »
Last year I thought Ricky Davis should have been allowed to throw more and that he would be the productive QB and win the staring job. I am coming to the same conclusion after the Spring Game.

We have small quick backs and a questionable Oline.  Without the threat of the QB run, our offense is in trouble.  Davis is very quick and willing to run and has shown he can run effectively.  And he can throw.  Wells is a good thrower, but with no run option the defenses have our number, especially late in the game.

Ricky should start with Hosick in the hunt to start or back up.  I don't think we have a chance doing the same thing as last year.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
Any red-shirts or seldom used players from last year's team that impressed anyone throughout the game?