Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 38356 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »
Look if it wasn't for the BS rules of the commish we would have what 2 wins.  The instant replay if u have
It rule screwed us twice.  Wells would have been a hero instead of a bum against Ill st.  We got screwed for having replay.  This year all schools have to have it.  But we all forget he drove us down to try to get win. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2016, 08:53:52 PM »
...and if my Aunt had different equipment, she'd be my Uncle.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Look if it wasn't for the BS rules of the commish we would have what 2 wins.  The instant replay if u have
It rule screwed us twice.  Wells would have been a hero instead of a bum against Ill st.  We got screwed for having replay.  This year all schools have to have it.  But we all forget he drove us down to try to get win.

The NDSU game was PI from the other angle, exactly where the ref was so it was the correct call.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »
I heard Powell is in the dog house and may not be back once fall camp breaks.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
Put Davis and Hosick in some of the same situations last season as Wells and they wouldn't have performed any better. How many times did we have a negative rushing attempt on first down and then another carry for know gain and then put Wells in a 3rd and 13 situation. Unfortunately quarterbacks can't catch the ball for the receivers. How much better do you want him to throw it to #9 in the NDS game? That was game set match. Sure his mechanics slipped up from his freshman year. Factor in all of the drops and his numbers probably would've been better then his freshman year. My point is this if you don't have a line, backs that can run up the middle, or a group of receivers who can catch the ball on a regular basis it really doesn't matter who your quarterback is and if he's mobile or not. If we have these same 3 problem area's in 2016 you will see what I mean

Everyone has their own skill set and unique strengths and weaknesses, and therefore no two things in the universe are ever equal.  That is why Davis, with the same conditions as Wells, was the third highest rusher (versus minus 44 yards rushing for Wells) and had a higher passing efficiency.  In those conditions (receivers with hands of stone and a porous o line), you require a QB who can GTFO of the pocket ASAP.  Davis can do that ( and prolly Hosick too), but Wells simply cannot.

Based on the 2015 Spring game, I thought Wells was the future.  I was proven incorrect.  Looking back at Hess as well, QB's just don't progress at YSU with our OC/QB coach.  I think the QBs that do succeed at YSU will need to enter campus with strong skill sets and need to be self-motivated and improve their skills independently.

If we have these same 3 problem area's in 2016 you will see what I mean

That is 100% true, and something that concerns me.  Other than acquiring Hosick, which was a great acquisition, I get the impression that the coaching staff feels that the 2015 5-6 record was due to bad luck and not much really needed to be fixed.  I hope I am proven wrong with some FBS o-line and receiver transfers.  The 2016 schedule has the MVFC power teams on the road and UNI replaces WIU...therefore will be a more challenging year than 2015.  Many of our MVFC opponents are only growing stronger by adding FCOA schollies.  I think our defense will be legendary, but even so they will tire in Q4 if on the field all game.  There may be regression otherwise from a 5-6 season, as hard as that may be to fathom.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
If this team and staff is banking on landing some FBS transfers to help, they are sorely mistaken. More players may be on the way out, instead of coming in from what I hear.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
That's troubling if its true.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
One issue was that we gave Wolf another year and then when the end came; coach Shane and Carm could only do so much ... so we lost about half of a year's worth of recruiting. Wolf was not much of a recruiter to begin with, looked at paper before film. Now Pelini is just the opposite kind of recruiter, looks for football skill first, which is theoretically nice; but not when you are trying to stay local and the better talent leaves for school. Say what you want about the decline of prep ball in the Valley, but our kids are still very well coached; so if you get a gifted kid ...he is going to learn his trade.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
If this team and staff is banking on landing some FBS transfers to help, they are sorely mistaken. More players may be on the way out, instead of coming in from what I hear.
I've heard the same things