Author Topic: QB Thread  (Read 43749 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:13 PM »
Sorry I-AA, but cannot agree with you on this one, you are wrong. Pally is 100% correct.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
You are a Monty/Wells hater as well, so I am not losing sleep over who agrees or not. It is just another case of Paladin stating the obvious & we are supposed to think he is something. The only thing missing is his "I predicted this months ago" back when we all know that he really said absolutely nothing. Everyone acts as as though coach M does not see what is going on. The reality is that he sees more than we do ...and he is trying to do something about it. In reality I have been highly impressed with Montgomery these past couple of weeks ...and his ability to adapt and work with his guys.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »
I personally think it's been impressive what the offense has been able to accomplish considering the adversity and obstacles they have faced

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
QB and the "system" Montgomery employs are two different animals. Ryan wasn't a great QB  but he was a good athlete who played QB. Ryan was successful because  they LIMITED what they had him do and he had good instincts to know when to pull it down and run and not always looking good doing it. Hess was a decent QB but he was shoehorned into a system and kept there by Montgomery. Montgomery  doesn't  use a QBs talent, he forces the qb TO PLAY IN HIS SYSTEM. Years ago, QB were recruited for their ABILITIES and then plays were put in for them. Montgomery puts in his SYSTEM and forces QBs to play into that system disregarding their abilities. That is what is going  on now . When Hess graduated, the cupboard was bare -- Wells drove DAILY to YSU and worked under Montgomery learning the system. He had a BIG leg up over Davis who was in the Cincy area . Yet the "sy st em" was employed  and the actual talents of the QBs ignored. Majot mistake.  Best QB are those who have plays put into the O for them, not some coaches "ideal" system and force players to play in it. Wells nor davis will never be good here because of that. It would alos help to recruit to SPECIFIC  skill sets in QB recruits and not bring in QBs and force them to do things they didn't and don't do.

Football 101

Excellent post.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
Well, its gameday fellas! Time to go support your guins regardless of who the coach or QB is. LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »
I expect to see quite a bit of Ricky Davis today. Whether it get's us that illustrious W remains to be seen.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
I expect to see quite a bit of Ricky Davis today. Whether it get's us that illustrious W remains to be seen.

I agree, and will add it will be out of necessity due to the rush D.  Mobile QBs have fared better vs. NDSU this season.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Next year Montgomery gone & transfer QB. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
Next year Montgomery gone & transfer QB.

Look at how Vad Lee has changed JMU.  If anyone can get a FBS QB, it's BP.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »
Let me "point out " Monty's "skill" at QB recruiting  -- he recruited the kid who transfered to the Rock ( he was a H.S. WING T QB, bootlegs, etc.), Davis, who was a dual threat ( running & passing ) and Wells, who was a passing QB in a Spread. What do all 3 have in common  for YSU's O ?  Add in the kid from Urbana. How does that relate to YSU's O ? I could go on and on.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
I personally think it's been impressive what the offense has been able to accomplish considering the adversity and obstacles they have faced
With our crippled O-Line there was a chance that the game could get even uglier than NDSU's beatdown of WIU last week(59-7)--a few better punts and a few less dropped passes and this was ours--you can't make mistakes like that against a team that has won 4 straight NC's and expect to win.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
Let me "point out " Monty's "skill" at QB recruiting  -- he recruited the kid who transfered to the Rock ( he was a H.S. WING T QB, bootlegs, etc.), Davis, who was a dual threat ( running & passing ) and Wells, who was a passing QB in a Spread. What do all 3 have in common  for YSU's O ?  Add in the kid from Urbana. How does that relate to YSU's O ? I could go on and on.

Please do, because you certainly have not made a single point so far.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »

Please do, because you certainly have not made a single point so far.

smile
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
I can guarantee that next years starting QB is not on this years roster.  Plain and simple. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
Bo likes Shane Montgomery and the job he does. I think Monty stays and it will be a open competition in the spring between Davis and Wells. If anything they will go the transfer route for added depth at wide receiver. Starting all over with a New system/coordinator/ quarterback could take years to develop. Your better off to stick with what you have especially being as competitive as they have been in the Missouri this season