Author Topic: QB Thread  (Read 43753 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
I made my point  and some here agreed. YOU simply don't like the point.

This was supposed to be a SUCCESSFUL year with all the returning starters and lettermen coming back, plus big time transfers, and  lead by a "BIG TIME" coach. I warned you last year there was a QB problem here and did so again pre-seasson this year. I've added the  basis for that problem with the coaching staff and  their problem in utilizing /recruiting QBs.

This isn't going away. You may be stuck with it for some time. "Montyball " !   ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:06:23 PM by paladin »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
Bo likes Shane Montgomery and the job he does. I think Monty stays and it will be a open competition in the spring between Davis and Wells. If anything they will go the transfer route for added depth at wide receiver. Starting all over with a New system/coordinator/ quarterback could take years to develop. Your better off to stick with what you have especially being as competitive as they have been in the Missouri this season

If he stays, god help us all.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »

This was supposed to be a SUCCESSFUL year with all the returning starters and lettermen coming back, plus big time transfers, and  lead by a "BIG TIME" coach. I warned you last year there was a QB problem here and did so again pre-seasson this year. I've added the  basis for that problem with the coaching staff and  their problem in utilizing /recruiting QBs.

This isn't going away. You may be stuck with it for some time. "Montyball " !   ;D

and everyone told you that you were full of crap about the expectations this year. New staff and nobody had any idea what to expect. SO nobody was talking ...maybe hoping :)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Nothing pisses me off more when you Pally spread your BS on what you think you know.  You don't like or have liked anything about YSU in years.  You b**** and moan but for what.  I can see if you spent money or supported our athletic programs but you don't.  People like you are the problem in our area full of BS, want something for free and think you know it all but know sh**.  I donate time and money to the school that gave me a great education and I believe and want our athletics to do good.   If you had spent a little money and went to some events.  You would have known what Pelinis expectations were.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 06:36:20 AM »

Quit acting like a UNI fan speaking in generalities as a Monday morning QB.  As bad as Montgomery is at development of his Qb and the piss poor play calling we are still a combined 5 points away over two games from being a playoff lock; not to mention that the team is actually improving and has made some significant strides in the last month which is unlike Wolford's teams that regressed and collapsed.  Do you think NDSU coaches and players want to deal with YSU again?  There is no way they want any part of a rematch.  I will honestly tell you that when we beat them at their gym in 2013 that was a fluke.  They had a letdown game similar to their game with USD this year.  However, NDSU came to play this time and this was not a fluke.  We pushed them around for 3 quarters until we got cute on offense and had a collapse on special teams and a coaching meltdown. 

That was our game to lose and we were able to snatch defeat front the jaws of victory.  There is still a chance we could get into the playoffs but it is very remote.  We need to smoke Indiana State to have that chance. 

Next year is going to be a great year for us if we continue to improve.  NDSU had difficulty with our skill people and our lines.  When they played Montana and lost the opening game they had trouble with the skilled people and there were some ridiculous plays that went in Montana's favor.  Montana's lines were not as good as ours and they had the advantage in that it was the first game of the year facing a retooled NDSU defense. 

NDSU was playing their best ball of the year, we dominated for nearly 3 quarters before we gave the game away.  This wasn't an outlier performance by NDSU or YSU. This was a legitimate game with a lot on the line and the experienced champion found a way to win it by capitalizing on our poor special teams play, stupid offensive play calling and a coach that has multiple amygdala hijacks each game.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:53:26 AM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »
I forgot to mention, on the NDSU broadcast even they noted how Wells was a great and promising freshman and has really made no progress as a soph. Not entirely unheard of, sophomore slump is a term that has been used on lots of players all over the country.

If they can tell that, from their limited exposure, its hard to argue against.

I don't want to knock the kid, could be coaching, could be he has plateaued.

Neither look good for our coaching staff as they are responsible for talent evaluation and improving the players.

If we don't see improvement in that position, with him or otherwise, that needs corrected at a coaching level. That assumes current O staff is retained for next year which seems like it might be the case.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »
Honest opinion here, I don't think the coaching has anything to do with the Quarterback play. Wells lost confidence early in the season with all the dropped passes and the continued drops and the injuries on the offensive line. I think that was a big part of what affected his mechanics as the season went on. Ricky has a great arm but lacks the confidence to throw into coverage  because he hasn't been given enough opportunity to do so..since the playoffs are gone I say let each one have equal playing time against Indiana st. and give Ricky every opportunity  to throw and go from there..I don't think a 2 quarterback system is something that the coaching staff wants going into next season

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
Never fails. Spend your $$$$$$$$$$$ for decades on Penguin Club seats but don't have an opinion. Not allowed. Stop coming to games and buying tickets and still keep your opinion to yourself.

Look in the mirror.  The problems are not going away.

Thank your bean counter.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
Wells had a bad season because he cannot run the ball and is afraid to run the ball.  He proved that on one play against ILSr and this past week against NDSU when he slid 5 yards to early and almost did not make a first down.  He is afraid to take a hit and lacks some toughness that we are used to at QB at YSU.  Without the threat of being able to both pass and run, the Montgomery offense will not work.  Why even run the spread option with him in there when you know he is not going to read the Defensive End to see if he crashes on the back or if he can pull the ball and go around end of some yards.  He got our backs killed all year by never being able to pull the ball from the mesh and the end would just continually crash and kill Ruiz.  In college you need someone that can be a dual threat, in the pros you can be a drop back passer like Brady and Manning. Running QB's don't last long in the pros, but in college they do.  Like I stated before, next years starting qb is not on this years roster.  Straight from the horses mouth if you know what I mean!!

GO GUINS 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
Well said Pete. I will disagree just slightly. I do not think you have to be able to run for Montgomery's offense, as a bulk of the run game is your TB's; but you do have to have some mobility. Look how many points we racked-up with Hess in there.

You know who I would think could do real well in coach M's offense ...does anybody remember Brandon Summers? Deadly in the pocket, with really nice running carrying skills.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »
Let Ricky play the entire game tomorrow.  Time to find out what he can do.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2015, 09:54:12 PM »
Play the guy that gives us the best chance to win
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »
Well said Pete. I will disagree just slightly. I do not think you have to be able to run for Montgomery's offense, as a bulk of the run game is your TB's; but you do have to have some mobility. Look how many points we racked-up with Hess in there.

You know who I would think could do real well in coach M's offense ...does anybody remember Brandon Summers? Deadly in the pocket, with really nice running carrying skills.

The QB has to have the option to run or give with the spread option.  That mesh and fake is key to the offense.  If they know he is giving it every time...a Pop Warner coach could stop it.  The only difference between this offense and the classic read belly option and read option is that we had the likes if Trenton Lykes, Ray Issac, Nick Cochran, Mark Brundgard, Jeff Ryan, Zwick, Tidwell, etc... who could go down the line and turn it up field when they did not pitch...you had to respect both...with Wells there is no respect for him to run.  When you throw in the third option of being able to fake the give, keep and then the ability to throw the ball...that is when you have a triple threat QB that must be respected by the defense.  Until then...we will not be the offensive threat that we need to be.  Those previous QB's had the triple threat.  Wells only has one and that is questionable at times also.  To be able to run as a QB you have to be tough...he is not.  He is afraid and that paralysis through analysis has killed him this year.  I wait to see who coach goes out and gets...most likely a JUCO or D1 transfer at QB like Roberson and I imagine with his connections it happens sooner than later.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »
Nothing new here. I told you LAST year that Wells would NEVER start for four years. Ability level just isn't there. Yet the "experts" here was saying that since he started as a Frosh, he was a lock.

Ohio St. must know something   that YSU doesn't -- they ALWAYS try to field a run/pass QB and thats also what they recruit.

Football 101

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
Nothing new here. I told you LAST year that Wells would NEVER start for four years. Ability level just isn't there. Yet the "experts" here was saying that since he started as a Frosh, he was a lock.

Ohio St. must know something   that YSU doesn't -- they ALWAYS try to field a run/pass QB and thats also what they recruit.

Football 101

Okay expert & prognosticator. You hate everyone that has ever taken a snap, so Let's see your post ...I keep them a year minimum. Oh and BTW ...Cardale???

Paladin: BullCrapper 101