Author Topic: QB Thread  (Read 43707 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »
1-AA, I get the feeling it's you and me aginst the world supporting our players and coaches.  Yes they make mistakes.  Yes they are not perfect, but there the best we have and I root for them and hope they win each week.  Frankly I've see a couple QB's far better than Wells and Davis here, and a bunch worse.  I still think Hunter can get far better, but this hate mongering with Montgomery is getting tiring.  Good grief, sometimes I actually think some of these guys think THEY could do better!!  How funny is that?  Think they are Vince Lombardi bolting bumpers on a car at GM for a living.

While I have been critical of the qb play and montgomery at times, I'm pro players and pro montgomery. Our offense has NOT been the problem under montgomery. I think the issue this year has been injuries ect. Its hard to say its his system when it has worked for the past so many years. Evidently not a popular viewpoint here, but in any case we shouldn't be arguing amongst ourselves like this. We're all YSU fans, lets support our team!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
Bell?  Matt Bell, the guard/center?   Sometimes I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not.
Our OC STINKS!  Our OL STINKS!  Our QB STINK! and so why would you worry if they all left? 
(For the record, IMO our OC, OL and QB's do NOT stink)

Not sure what the diatribe about "STINKS" has to do with my posts.
Just curious, you state you support our players but enjoy calling Julius Childs 'Julia'.
Any particular reason?

Couple points here.  It is my strange sense of humor reacting to his mother's strange sense of humor.  And he is a grown adult, not one of our players anymore.  While kids in school, hopefully student athletes in the true meaning of the words, they get a pass from me.  Once they are out in the world, grown and hopefully educated adults they are fair game to me.  I rooted for Jeff Ryan every game, but now that he is "history" at YSU, he was a showboat, and not a winner and I was glad to see him go.  I thought Childs was the worst corner I’d ever seen, still do, but I rooted for him every game.
You never used the word stinks; it is my dramatic license, if you will.  But the clear theme here is Hunter is bad and Montgomery is worse.  I think both sentiments are 180 degrees incorrect. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
You know, it would be nice if every player red-shirted year-1; scout-teamed year-2, made the roster & scouted in year-3, moved-up and saw playing time in year-4, started in year-5. Unfortunately it does not always happen this way. 2 QB's left our system, which meant no back-up for Hess. So a true frosh ended-up in the starting spot. In reality, he should just be seeing the roster & getting serious work with coach Shane for the first time. Yet he is starting his 14th-game this week. Things are going to come out in every player at this point in their careers & decisions had to be made. So far, coach M has decided to accelerate Davis' training, dropped a nice option package & gave a nice injection into the offense in his use fo Davis.

I do not blame anyone. Wolf is gone & he did have 3-QB's. I respect Montgomery for making the decision to try Nania (even though we all knew it was probably not going to workout). So I also have to respect his decision to start Wells over Davis. I now respect his decision (and ability) to infuse Davis into the offense. However, let's remember that we have a post-season shot & this is not the time to make any abrupt changes in the skill positions.

This being said, we need to let Montgomery put some of his magic back into the offense. Moving to a new QB simply means another 2-years of vanilla. I do blame Montgomery & coach Carm for being short-staffed on the O-Line. That being said, as a team, we were in transition and who knew just how many recruits did not take their offer. I applaud Carm and Monty for being able to bring three "newbies" up to speed in a couple of weeks.

I will not blame anyone for the injuries in our TB's this year & we certainly have quality back-up. I have had questions about coach Bo's hiring of Pepe Pearson, but I do applaud coach M and coach Pepe for keeping our backs going. Pearson is winning me over, but I still suspect that most of this is Montgomery.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
"Pearson is winning me over, but I still suspect that most of this is Montgomery."
What generally happens with people is one guy relates to one coach/mentor/boss and the other one relates better to a different person.  Probably the case here.  What i do know is we could REALLY use Brock E and Ryan Moore on the OL and RB right about now!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
"Pearson is winning me over, but I still suspect that most of this is Montgomery."
What generally happens with people is one guy relates to one coach/mentor/boss and the other one relates better to a different person.  Probably the case here.  What i do know is we could REALLY use Brock E and Ryan Moore on the OL and RB right about now!

A few points:

Ryan said that Pearson has helped greatly with blocking and field of vision.  He could have played mid to late season, but hoped not to burn the chance at a medical red shirt.  If you have seen him lately, he is a monster.

Brock probably won't be back, but that is based on the computer test for concussions, which I am told he cannot pass. (That may be the flaw in that type of test; don't know). 

I think you will see the benefits of Pearson during recruiting.

We will see what the offensive brain trust does this game.  Can't leave the defense on the field with several 3 and outs and a short field.  Clock management will be crucial if we can hang with the Bisons. 
The D is nursing some injuries too so a well coached game will be critical. 

I hope you and IAA are back on here Saturday evening telling me: "I told you so!"

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
and for the record:

If Matt Bell does not come back next year it will be due to health issues.  Nothing to do with coaches or players.  He is smart and a gamer!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
and for the record:

If Matt Bell does not come back next year it will be due to health issues.  Nothing to do with coaches or players.  He is smart and a gamer!
Does he have health issues that have the potential to cause him to drop the program?  I didn't bring his dropping up, YOU did!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »
"Bell?  Matt Bell, the guard/center?   Sometimes I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not. "

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
"Bell?  Matt Bell, the guard/center?   Sometimes I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not. "

Are you saying you didn't start this Bell "stuff"  If so, They I am respectfully calling you out!

Posted by: ScarletRook
« on: November 10, 2015, 03:09:49 PM » Insert Quote
Pelini may have to find a quick fix transfer.
If Montgomery takes his top talents to a higher status program like some argue, he will take Wells with him.
Ricky probably won't be back.
Probably lose Bell also and a few more.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »

Are you saying you didn't start this Bell "stuff"  If so, They I am respectfully calling you out!

Pelini may have to find a quick fix transfer.
If Montgomery takes his top talents to a higher status program like some argue, he will take Wells with him.
Ricky probably won't be back.
Probably lose Bell also and a few more.

This is funny: "If Montgomery takes his top talents to a higher status program like some argue, he will take Wells with him."
You are kidding right!  Lol.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:24:01 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
  Some here are delusional, Montgomery to a higher level program and take Wells with him.  Montgomery has done nothing here.  In big games his teams can't run the ball.   What happened against South Dakota State.  Wells has not progressed at all, might have gone backwards, where is this QB guru Montgomery is supposed to be.  If Montgomery is so good, why is he lingering here for 6 years?

Wells throws a pick 6 every week, not only can he not run, he scared of contact.  Didn't Montgomery get fired as head coach at Miami Ohio?  fired as asst at Akron?   What has he done?

In games against equal or better talent, our offense falls on its face.  Let's see if he proves me wrong Saturday.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »

Absolutely not denying it!  This is a QB thread not Bell or Brock, just my 2 cents on injuries and other problems.  I wish nothing but the best for these young men.  Wish the best for the Guins on Saturday.  If it is Montgomery and Wells that leads them to the promise lands then I am fine with that.

I am ending this discussion as it is meaningless.  If you won - so be it.  This isn't a personal grudge between us.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
Rook, you are a very strange dude.  You bring an OL into a conversation regarding QB's and they end the tread because I'M off track
No grude from me, you don't seem worth it.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
If Monty left I am sure Wells would go too.  Wells is on record on how he feels for him. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:19 PM »
If Monty left I am sure Wells would go too.  Wells is on record on how he feels for him.

So you are saying that Wells is more of a Monty fan than a YSU fan, interesting.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne