Author Topic: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll  (Read 31429 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
RANK   SCHOOL
1   North Dakota State
2   Sam Houston State
3   Illinois State
4   Villanova
5   Eastern Washington
6   Coastal Carolina
7   Jacksonville State
8   Chattanooga
9   Montana State
10   Youngstown State
11   Northern Iowa
12   James Madison
13   Idaho State
14   Eastern Kentucky
15   Montana
16   Liberty
17   Stephen F. Austin
18   New Hampshire
19   Indiana State
20   Alcorn State
21   Southeastern Louisiana
22   Northern Arizona
23   South Dakota State
24   Charleston Southern
25   Eastern Illinois

http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-football/2015/5/13/8602987/2015-fcs-football-preseason-polls-sporting-news-puts-north-dakota
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:53:46 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseaon FCS poll
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »
This is decent as far as polls go, although ISUr should be above SHSU, and UNI above YSU. and SDSU should be higher than 23.  MVFC well represented with six schools in the top 25.  The charade that is Fordham is unranked, which is nice to see.  Charleston Southern?......I don't think so.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:47:30 AM »
This is decent as far as polls go, although ISUr should be above SHSU, and UNI above YSU. and SDSU should be higher than 23.  MVFC well represented with six schools in the top 25.  The charade that is Fordham is unranked, which is nice to see.  Charleston Southern?......I don't think so.

I agree  with your analysis. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
Not so sure I'd be bumping Illinois State to #2 with running back Marshaun Coprich suspended.  He was HUGE for that offense last year, and he was busted selling drugs to an undercover cop, so it doesn't look at all good.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:57 PM »
Not so sure I'd be bumping Illinois State to #2 with running back Marshaun Coprich suspended.  He was HUGE for that offense last year, and he was busted selling drugs to an undercover cop, so it doesn't look at all good.

If Tre Roberson, now a senior, who as a QB was one of the leading MVFC rushers, and the rest of the ISUr team that almost beat NDSU in the title game, played SHSU this season....they would beat them.  NDSU ate SHSUs lunch in the playoffs.  ISUr had the top MVFC offense last year, not NDSU.  Losing Coprich hurts....but they will still go deep in the playoffs in 2015.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »
Here's a hilarious attempt at making a poll:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/05/lfns-fcs-top-25.html

Dartmouth, Harvard, and Bryant make the top 25......but not YSU or SDSU.

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
3: Villanova Wildcats
4: Illinois State Redbirds
5: Sam Houston State Bearkats
6: Chattanooga Mocs
7: Eastern Washington Eagles
8: James Madison Dukes
9: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
10: New Hampshire Wildcats
11: Northern Iowa Panthers
12: Montana State Bobcats
13: Liberty Flames
14: Fordham Rams
15: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
16. Indiana St. Sycamores
17: Eastern Illinois Panthers
18: William & Mary Tribe
19: Harvard Crimson
20: Southern Illinois Salukis
21: Samford Bulldogs
22: Montana Grizzlies
23: Bryant Bulldogs
24: Dartmouth Big Green
25: North Carolina A&T Aggie

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
I used to care about the polls but not anymore. The only spot that will ever matter is being #1. We are in the best conference so if we can unseat NDSU, it can be done.

Until then, let's just go from week to week, ignoring the rankings, and just WINNING!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Polls do not matter, all that matters is getting chosen for the playoffs.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
But the polls go a LONG way to determine who gets chosen for those peskly old playoffs!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »
Really it is only the coaches poll that counts. In that case, I want to start the season as low as possible. It is important to be climbing late in the season, where we have been losing 3 out of the last 4 and falling.

I mean, we could lose a couple of games and as long as we demonstrate progress ...then have a shot at the post-season. Not that there is anything good about any loss, but I also feel that it is important that we stop losing to the teams above us in the standings, as that just makes YSU the conference dividing point when it comes to selections.

If we had to lose 3 conference games ...we would be better off losing to an MVFC bottom-dweller & 2 of three conference top-3 clubs, than losing to all of the top-3. It should not be that way, but it is. That would mean we have a record good enough to get in the play-off field and we have a win over a play-off bound MVFC club. Yet we would have the same record either way. If we can knock off any of the top MVFC clubs ...the selection committee has to take us more seriously.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
All that matters is at the end of the season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »
Some polls matter some.  YSU has used favorable polling to promote games.  The SRS is a poll of sorts that definitely matters. 

Is a "bad loss" negated by a "good win"? I think so if the bad loss is early and the good win is late. 

If I were to make a top 25 poll, 8/10 MVFC teams would be ranked...with the understanding that the two unranked teams (USD and MSU) would knock off most average non-MVFC teams..and would place in the upper 30.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
Good wins do usually offset bad losses.  I know it's not YSU, but last year OSU had a bad loss against VT and a good win against MSU to get to the Big10 championship game.  Other way around?  Outta here! 

We lose to Missouri State and beat NDSU and we'll be in the playoffs, no doubt in my mind.  Other way around, doubtful.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
But the polls go a LONG way to determine who gets chosen for those peskly old playoffs!

To clarify my statement, I do not care if we are number 1 or number 20 especially preseason.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
Some polls matter some.  YSU has used favorable polling to promote games.  The SRS is a poll of sorts that definitely matters. 

Is a "bad loss" negated by a "good win"? I think so if the bad loss is early and the good win is late. 

If I were to make a top 25 poll, 8/10 MVFC teams would be ranked...with the understanding that the two unranked teams (USD and MSU) would knock off most average non-MVFC teams..and would place in the upper 30.

The SRS is complete bullsh**.  It is made up by the committee  so they can justify whomever they want to take.  Look back 2 years ago they took Sam Houston  state over us and we had a better record with more division  1 wins and played in a better conference  and had a higher SOS. They were taken over us?
The selection and seeding process is corrupt.   I recall mvfc teams being seeded but sent on the road to high school  stadiums to play fcs teams that played in weak conferences.  Complete  bullsh**.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:56:54 PM by penguinpower »