Author Topic: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll  (Read 31401 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseaon FCS poll
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
Some polls matter some.  YSU has used favorable polling to promote games.  The SRS is a poll of sorts that definitely matters. 

Is a "bad loss" negated by a "good win"? I think so if the bad loss is early and the good win is late. 

If I were to make a top 25 poll, 8/10 MVFC teams would be ranked...with the understanding that the two unranked teams (USD and MSU) would knock off most average non-MVFC teams..and would place in the upper 30.

The SRS is complete bullsh**.  It is made up by the committee  so they can justify whomever they want to take.  Look back 2 years ago they took Sam Houston  state over us and we had a better record with more division  1 wins and played in a better conference  and had a higher SOS. They were taken over us?
The selection and seeding process is corrupt.   I recall mvfc teams being seeded but sent on the road to high school  stadiums to play fcs teams that played in weak conferences.  Complete  bullsh**.
Your limited vocabulary is disgusting, but your limited knowledge is worse.  Sam Houston had a better record in 2012 that YSU. (8-3 vs 8-4 regular season 11-4 overall)  Of their 3 regular season losses 1 to Baylor and 1 to Texas A&M, and I don't think we would do well in the SEC either.  Yes that was the year we beat Pitt. but we had 4 losses against BCS teams to SHS’s 1 loss.  They beat # 12 #2 and #4 ranked teams in the playoffs before losing to the only common opponent to YSU #1 NDSU 38-13 vs. YSU losing to NDSU 48-7.  You can make the argument YSU should have made the 2012 playoffs, but not over SHS.  So your argument, is vile in it language and flawed in its logic as well. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »
The formulas that FBS uses to select bowl participants and now playoff slots are often flawed, but at least they are transparent.  You could see each week where your program stood in relation to your rivals.  The FCS selection committee will NEVER have credibility and will ALWAYS be open to charges of hypocrisy since they refuse to release any rankings of teams BEFORE the playoffs selections are determined.  As penguinpower suggests, that committee has often fabricated post-selection ratings to justify their picks.  All the NCAA has to do is release FCS rankings each week from about the sixth week to the conclusion of the regular season.  It should be well understood that these rankings will determine ALL the at-large playoff selections.  So why does the NCAA refuse to follow this easy procedure?  Because it would eliminate the back room dealings and corruption that have been "par for the course" in IAA/FCS football.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »
Go Guins,

In 2013, Samford was ranked lower in the SRS than YSU, and received an at-large bid, and YSU did not.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38125

I agree with Power that the playoff selection committee has screwed over YSU, because well, I just proved it.

Imagine if in 2013, the higher ranked team, from the better conference, got the at-large bid. Wolford would likely still be our HC, FWIW.  Maybe it worked out better this way? Time will tell.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
we cover this all the time. The only way the selections are fair, is to select an EXACTLY even number of teams from each region

8 from the Northeast
8 from the Midwest
8 from the West
8 from the South.

No questions asked ...if you meet the criteria ...you participate. Only the top-2 teams from each conference will go. Each conference has an auto-bid and an at-large bid. So if you want to have super conferences ...better think again.

Annually:
You award 16 conference champions
You award 4 regional champs
You award 2 national finalists
You award one national champion.

West Region Conferences:
1. Big Sky
2. Southland
3. New West Region Conference #1
4. New West Region Conference #2

South Region Conferences:
1. Big South
2. Mid-Eastern Athletic
3. Southern
4. Southwestern Athletic

Northeast Region Conferences:
1. Colonial
2. Northeast
3. Ivy League
4. Patriot League

MidWest Region Conferences:
1. Missouri Valley
2. Ohio Valley
3. Pioneer League
4. New Mid-West Region Conference #1

The requirements must have a minimum number of wins and ONLY count I-AA games. No $$ games do not count. I do not care if you can beat Pitt, as you cannot beat anyone good from your own conference.
The requirements must specify a minimum number of scholarships.
You seed 16-teams from each region. Then you seed the 4 regions
Conference champs are in ...no questions ...as long as they meet the criteria.

If you cannot find enough teams to meet the criteria in a given region, you move to the other conferences, in the order of regional seed and team seed inside that region. It is really that simple. This means that good teams from the MVFC and the CAA are going to sit home, but that is how it must be. EVERY team from EVERY conference has to be on an equal playing field.

FAG (Frequently asked Gripes):

What about the west, where there are less schools?
 They will be able to get to 4 conferences. I have always thought that is a conference does not have at least 8 members, it should only be awarded 1 bid to the play-off.

What about these supposedly easier conferences such as the NEC or the Pioneer League?
 Well, if you have minimum scholarship requirement, problem solved. Once these schools get to ful scholarship, they will become competitive.

What about a conference that is not doing well such as the SoCon or OVC?
It will balance out & the SoCon would need to add one more team in order to get 2 bids. The reason the OVC stays down is because good recruits do not want to go there; well with a fair system everyone has equal recruiting power.

what is wrong with taking the top-24 and that is it?
 Well, first of all, we would never agree. Secondly, why then why would we have any any need for divisions, regions or conferences? We need some organization.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:01:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »
Some polls matter some.  YSU has used favorable polling to promote games.  The SRS is a poll of sorts that definitely matters. 

Is a "bad loss" negated by a "good win"? I think so if the bad loss is early and the good win is late. 

If I were to make a top 25 poll, 8/10 MVFC teams would be ranked...with the understanding that the two unranked teams (USD and MSU) would knock off most average non-MVFC teams..and would place in the upper 30.

The SRS is complete bullsh**.  It is made up by the committee  so they can justify whomever they want to take.  Look back 2 years ago they took Sam Houston  state over us and we had a better record with more division  1 wins and played in a better conference  and had a higher SOS. They were taken over us?
The selection and seeding process is corrupt.   I recall mvfc teams being seeded but sent on the road to high school  stadiums to play fcs teams that played in weak conferences.  Complete  bullsh**.
Your limited vocabulary is disgusting, but your limited knowledge is worse.  Sam Houston had a better record in 2012 that YSU. (8-3 vs 8-4 regular season 11-4 overall)  Of their 3 regular season losses 1 to Baylor and 1 to Texas A&M, and I don't think we would do well in the SEC either.  Yes that was the year we beat Pitt. but we had 4 losses against BCS teams to SHS’s 1 loss.  They beat # 12 #2 and #4 ranked teams in the playoffs before losing to the only common opponent to YSU #1 NDSU 38-13 vs. YSU losing to NDSU 48-7.  You can make the argument YSU should have made the 2012 playoffs, but not over SHS.  So your argument, is vile in it language and flawed in its logic as well.

You failed to mention that Sam Houston State had a D2 loss on their record.   They didn't  have as many D1 wins as YSU. So before you start accusing  me of being  uninformed  get your info in  order.  Our wins over  D2 opponents  kept  us out of the playoffs  many times but did not apply to SHSU and they had a loss.  As Wick points out their formula  was not published. They choose who they want with no accountability.  In the past they used the 7 D1 win guideline.  Then they added the fact that you can't lose at the end of the year.  They then dropped all of those and decided  that they would use SRS.  I believe  SHSU had only 6 D1 wins with a loss to a D2 opponent  vs our 8 wins and 1 of those was against  an FBS team.  Rankings have never really  mattered to the selection  committee.  Plus the MVFC was the best conference  and I believe  they took only 2 teams that year but they took 4 teams from the Big Soft Sky.  The MVFC teams made it deep into the playoffs as expected.

I have enough  data to prove we've  been screwed  many many times.  I have even written  to the conference  commissioner  (who is powerless) as well as the NCAA and the members of the selection  committee.   Got a nice response  from the commissioner  but never any thing from the committee on their reasoning .   SRS was supposed  to drop the losing  at the end of the year requirement .  I have seen them take teams that have lost the last 3.  I have seen them break their own 7D1 win rule.  I have seen them say they based their decision  on SRS.  But YSU has never  been  given those benefits  that they award to other teams on the bubble.  That's  a fact.

The other issue you have is that the Bison were the #1 team and the TSN  rankings are a joke.  YSU would have done severe  damage in the playoffs  that year too.  What you fail to realize is that the 24 team playoff bracket  still didn't  get a top 15 team into it.  Care to explain  that?  Their formula  is like an affirmitive  action quota.  Need to take the token minority  or female to ensure  we are fair instead of taking  the best.  We deserved to be in over several  other teams but the rules are thrown  out the window and it has happened at least 6 times that I'm aware of.

The selection  committee  needs to be held to a standard  because  their decisions affect other people's  lives.  Heacock and Wolford  families in addition to YSU's atheltic department were affected  by their decisions but the players spend countless hours preparing for the season, and countless hours during the season only to have an abitrary process count them out.  Luckily  for the coaches they have golden parachutes but their decision  not to take us has cost the university  money.

In addition  to what I've stated  do you care to explain  how they took more teams from far weaker conferences  over MVFC  teams?  What is the logic behind  that?  SHSU got some favorable match ups at home with a garbage  record. We all know about the bidding  process  but that one was tough a tough  pill to swallow. You can't count what SHSU did in the playoffs.   The playoffs are a completely  different  season.  YSU would have made it to at least round 2 or 3 that year before losing.   You can only go by what the record  said during  the selection  process.  We were a better team than SHSU that year.

As Nation points  out we were passed over in a different  comparison using the SRS.  More data to show you how it is an uncontrolled  process.

Say all you want about my limted vocabulary; at the end of the day the SRS is still bullsh**.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:30:25 AM by penguinpower »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »
The selection committee process is flawed but with that being said YSU did not deserve to make the playoff any year under Wolford.  If you get blown out year after by the best teams in the conference at the end of the year, I'm sorry you don't deserve to be in.  Yes we beat NDSU one year, so what play them 5 more times that year they kick are arse everytime and that's not debatable.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:32 PM »
PenguinPower, you are perhaps the most paranoid person I am aware of.  Glad I'm not around you in person, as you'd make me very nervous.  Your persecution complex reminds me of some characters in movies like Silence of the Lambs etc.  (Not Lecter, but Buffalo Bob)
Blogging with you is a complete waste time as you apparently want to dispute the fact that 8-3 is better than 8-3 and 3 quality wins in the playoffs validate the selection of SHSU in the 2012 playoffs which is plainly true.  Our D2 wins do NOT keep us from the playoffs, our 4 consecutive 1AA loses did.  You aren't worth my time.
Bye and good luck.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »
PenguinPower, you are perhaps the most paranoid person I am aware of.  Glad I'm not around you in person, as you'd make me very nervous.  Your persecution complex reminds me of some characters in movies like Silence of the Lambs etc.  (Not Lecter, but Buffalo Bob)
Blogging with you is a complete waste time as you apparently want to dispute the fact that 8-3 is better than 8-3 and 3 quality wins in the playoffs validate the selection of SHSU in the 2012 playoffs which is plainly true.  Our D2 wins do NOT keep us from the playoffs, our 4 consecutive 1AA loses did.  You aren't worth my time.
Bye and good luck.

You nailed it.  I'm paranoid.  Do some research  before arguing  with me.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
Power is spot on. Do we still have some chianti left? ? It goes so well with liver.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
I will admit the Heacock family has a to be scratching their heads over a couple of years, but W teams never deserved a shot ...ever. Pitt made a big mistake in treating us as equals ...that will not happen under Narduzzi. We will have to earn this win.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »
Figured I would throw my two cents in here, I cant remember the name of the team, but i remember one of the last three years, there was a team that made the playoffs because it was a conference champion but had a losing record (it was either 5 or 6 and 7 if i remember). I realize this is a separate issue, but felt it was a relevant point to add to the discussion of whether or not the current system has flaws with playoff selection.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
In 2013, Lafayette started the season 1-5, and then won 4 of its last five to finish 5-6.  However, they won the woeful Patriot League with a 4-1 record.  In the first round of the playoffs, they lost 45-7.

In yet another FCS playoff committee farce, the Patriot league was given one at-large bid to Fordham.  The MVFC also only got one at-large bid...to SDSU......leaving #18th ranked YSU (8-4/5-3) at home.

I am fine with auto-bids for all conferences....even for teams with losing records in 1AAA conferences.  I am not fine with absurd at-large bids to 1AAA teams over 1AA teams.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42:04 AM »
In 2013, Lafayette started the season 1-5, and then won 4 of its last five to finish 5-6.  However, they won the woeful Patriot League with a 4-1 record.  In the first round of the playoffs, they lost 45-7.

In yet another FCS playoff committee farce, the Patriot league was given one at-large bid to Fordham.  The MVFC also only got one at-large bid...to SDSU......leaving #18th ranked YSU (8-4/5-3) at home.

I am fine with auto-bids for all conferences....even for teams with losing records in 1AAA conferences.  I am not fine with absurd at-large bids to 1AAA teams over 1AA teams.

Excellent  points.  I agree.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »

Excellent  points.  I agree.

Without a doubt, mind boggling

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
You people that think it should be the top-20 or 24 ranked teams in the play-off are crazy. You would soon have no conferences, no non-football men's sports. Each conference should have 2 guaranteed spots ...no more. Could be less if they do not have at least 9 teams in the conference. Could be more if a onferenc4e does not have two teams that meet the requirements. regular-season OOC records should mean nothing