Author Topic: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll  (Read 31351 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseaon FCS poll
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
IAA Fan,

You are missing the whole point of this discussion.  It is not what you or I THINK about the FCS playoff operation.  It is about the selection committee following the rules that are already in operation.  And the rule regarding the selection of at-large teams is written in clear and precise language.  The rule obligates the committee to select for at-large berths the BEST remaining teams after the automatic bids have been awarded.  The rule says nothing about conferences or balancing geographic regions.  Again, the mandate is to select the BEST remaining teams.

In order to pretend to follow that rule, the selection committee claims that they are operating with an objective ratings system.  Fine.  Wonderful.  But it is a farce because, unlike in the FBS world, the committee REFUSES to release those ratings until AFTER the at-large selections have been made.  The solution to this mess is remarkably simple.  Release those ratings starting in the middle of the season.  At the conclusion of the regular season, award at-large bids going right down that list after the automatic qualifiers have been placed.  ANY other way is illegitimate, and brings down upon the selection committee the scorn that they so rightfully deserve.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
Wick250 I am tempted to ask you what color the clouds are in your world, but I'm not since you are doing your reasearch, and being logical (your big mistake).  Remember the imortal words of "deep throat" when he told Woodward and Berstein: "follow the money"  If you don't balance conferences, don't have regional balance etc. you risk the most important thing in college sports: THE MONEY!!  Make all the rules, guidelines etc. you want, but FOLLOW THE MONEY!  Using FBS as the example isn't too useful IMO.  They violated their own rankings in selecting the 4 for the playoff in their very first year, didn't they? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
Wick250 I am tempted to ask you what color the clouds are in your world, but I'm not since you are doing your reasearch, and being logical (your big mistake).  Remember the imortal words of "deep throat" when he told Woodward and Berstein: "follow the money"  If you don't balance conferences, don't have regional balance etc. you risk the most important thing in college sports: THE MONEY!!  Make all the rules, guidelines etc. you want, but FOLLOW THE MONEY!  Using FBS as the example isn't too useful IMO.  They violated their own rankings in selecting the 4 for the playoff in their very first year, didn't they?

What do you disagree  about?  Wick is spot on in his analysis.   We are the few that follow FCS football.   The only real money is in the FBS power 5.  The rest of college football is really not an eye opening money maker.

In the FCS it is not about the money.  Most athletic  departments are balancing  capital money against the cost of managing  a team of 18 year olds.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »

What do you disagree  about?  Wick is spot on in his analysis.   We are the few that follow FCS football.   The only real money is in the FBS power 5.  The rest of college football is really not an eye opening money maker.

In the FCS it is not about the money.  Most athletic  departments are balancing  capital money against the cost of managing  a team of 18 year olds.
What I disagree about is, and I quote "It is about the selection committee following the rules that are already in operation."  I don't think so, I think it is about money.  Who gets the home games in BCS football, the higher ranked team or the one that guarentees the most money?  What the "heck" does "balancing  capital money against the cost of managing  a team of 18 year olds."  mean?? 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FB ranked 10th in TSN preseason FCS poll
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
go guins,

I will be kind and assume that your heart is in the right place.  But you have limited knowledge about FCS football.  Your comments about money are obsolete.  Yes, decades ago, teams bid for home games in every round of the playoffs.  Money talked then.  And YSU was sometimes the beneficiary.  Not any more.  Money has been completely removed from the process.  The NCAA sets the amount for minimum guarantees.  If the higher seed meets that figure, they get the home game....automatically.  Sometimes that results in embarrassment for FCS as it did last fall when one semifinal game was played in a "high school-like" stadium because New Hampshire had the higher seed and met the financial bid.

What Penguinpower, I, and astute FCS fans across the country are up in arms about is simply this.  The NCAA has a procedure in place to select that best field but the selection committee refuses to follow those rules.  Until the selection committee practices transparency, publicly reveals their "secret rankings" during the season, and follows the bylaws about selecting the strongest teams for at-large berths, hypocrisy will reign.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
I agree with you Wick, but the money is not obsolete. In fact, the NCAA has made the financial guarantee more a factor than ever. No one is going to win home games with the minimum bid anymore. I think it was ILS that decided not to bid just a couple of years ago, after their initial offer was rejected. Instead, they decided to increase their round-II bid assuming a round-I road win. I think they went to EKU or JSU instead. Just a couple of years ago, they made each university add the NCAA as on their insurance, which was so unbelievably expensive. There were so many schools threatening to no longer bid, that the NCAA dropped the requirement.

They want full stands as well, as they pay more attention to the ticket sales now that preliminary-round games are televised. Strollo and Tressel before him, let the NCAA know that we would beat any amount and I think we guaranteed 18k or 20k in ticket sales.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »
go guins,

I will be kind and assume that your heart is in the right place.  But you have limited knowledge about FCS football.  Your comments about money are obsolete.  Yes, decades ago, teams bid for home games in every round of the playoffs.  Money talked then.  And YSU was sometimes the beneficiary.  Not any more.  Money has been completely removed from the process.  The NCAA sets the amount for minimum guarantees.  If the higher seed meets that figure, they get the home game....automatically.  Sometimes that results in embarrassment for FCS as it did last fall when one semifinal game was played in a "high school-like" stadium because New Hampshire had the higher seed and met the financial bid.

What Penguinpower, I, and astute FCS fans across the country are up in arms about is simply this.  The NCAA has a procedure in place to select that best field but the selection committee refuses to follow those rules.  Until the selection committee practices transparency, publicly reveals their "secret rankings" during the season, and follows the bylaws about selecting the strongest teams for at-large berths, hypocrisy will reign.
You tell me "Money has been completely removed from the process."  Then you proceed to tell me the NCAA sets the minimum and the higher rated team needs to meet the minimum?  Either money is completely removed or it isn't.  Not sure you even read your post, but the guys in the NCAA NEVER forget the money.  That you can believe!  IMO, they are no more than one step better than FIFA. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »
A respectable poll, except I'd replace Harvard with ISUb, and put WIU in Cal Poly's spot.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-top-25-and-all-american-team-2015

1. North Dakota State
2. Illinois State
3. Sam Houston State
4. Jacksonville State
5. Villanova
6. Eastern Washington
7. Coastal Carolina
8. Chattanooga
9. New Hampshire

10. Youngstown State

Former Nebraska coach Bo Pelini steps into a ready-to-win situation at YSU, where school president Jim Tressel guided the Penguins to four national titles in the 1990s. A youthful offense features sophomore quarterback Hunter Wells and junior running back Martin Ruiz. Defensive ends Derek Rivers and Terrell Williams combined for 24 sacks.

11. Northern Iowa
 12. Liberty
13. Montana State
14. James Madison
15. Eastern Illinois
16. McNeese State
17. Montana
18. Idaho State
19. South Dakota State
20. Richmond
21. Eastern Kentucky
22. Harvard
23. Western Carolina
24. Cal Poly
25. Indiana State
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
If I could point out one thing ...YSU has never substantially dropped out of the pre-season polls (that count) basically since Tress left. We had a bad poll once with each of his successors. This is very telling for our program and the respect that it still has throughout the country. It truly adds to an already exciting 2015. This is the first time in year s that I have wanted summer to be over, as I hate winter and fall reminds me of winter.

As an FYI ...three tailgate lots this year. So other are excited as well.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:04 AM »
If I could point out one thing ...YSU has never substantially dropped out of the pre-season polls (that count) basically since Tress left. We had a bad poll once with each of his successors. This is very telling for our program and the respect that it still has throughout the country. It truly adds to an already exciting 2015. This is the first time in year s that I have wanted summer to be over, as I hate winter and fall reminds me of winter.

As an FYI ...three tailgate lots this year. So other are excited as well.
Very good observation regarding national respect shown the Quins in pre-season polls. 
Where is the new tailgate lot?
Any idea how season ticket sales are progressing?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
I don't know how long some of you have been tailgating, but the original tailgating lots were M-24 and M-26. The grass space to the NE of M-26 was overflow at $3 or $5. M-7 was a gravel lot for faculty, then mixed, etc.

This year, I am told M-26 will re-open. Which is nice, as it has (or at least used to have) electricity & holds more than M-7. Has anyone received any forms that have M-26 as an option?

Not sure how ticket sales are going, but they are a month ahead of schedule ..as compared to previous seasons; so I expect Bo has really drawn interest. There will be a new person in-charge of tickets this year ...Eric McLellan is replacing Ashley Booth ...who is moving on. Maybe I will send Eric and email.

Furthermore, for all the reservations I had with Tress coming in as president ...I was foolish to have ever doubted him. Like any good offensive coach, if you lack the quality experienced receivers, you put more receivers into the game. What the man (President Tressel) lacks in experience, he has (so far) made up for in effort ...and then some. Thank you Jim!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:45:35 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 05:01:01 PM »
Not sure how ticket sales are going, but they are a month ahead of schedule ..as compared to previous seasons; so I expect Bo has really drawn interest. There will be a new person in-charge of tickets this year ...Eric McLellan is replacing Ashley Booth ...who is moving on. Maybe I will send Eric and email.

This is the first year (in 33 years) I have received a thank you note sent to me in the mail for renewing my season tickets.

That was a nice touch, it showed appreciation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »
I don't know how long some of you have been tailgating, but the original tailgating lots were M-24 and M-26. The grass space to the NE of M-26 was overflow at $3 or $5. M-7 was a gravel lot for faculty, then mixed, etc.

This year, I am told M-26 will re-open. Which is nice, as it has (or at least used to have) electricity & holds more than M-7. Has anyone received any forms that have M-26 as an option?

Furthermore, for all the reservations I had with Tress coming in as president ...I was foolish to have ever doubted him. Like any good offensive coach, if you lack the quality experienced receivers, you put more receivers into the game. What the man (President Tressel) lacks in experience, he has (so far) made up for in effort ...and then some. Thank you Jim!
I'm dumbfounded you had reservations about JT becoming president.  I said the day I heard the job was opening that they should grab Tressel before he got away.  He would raise enrollment, raise graduation rates, and double the endowment in his tenure.  Raising the profile and success of the football program goes without saying.  A leader and a doer is a leader and a doer.  He would be a great company commander in the Army, a great governor, whatever.  Guy has a way to get people to go in the same direction and do better than they thought they could do.  Best thing YSU did since becoming a state school.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »
Just paid my Penguin Club and tailgate today!  I think we are going to be in for a good season.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »
Tailgating in M24 and M7 only.  When I called to renew my tickets last month, the girl said they had already sold more this year than all of last year.