Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 120784 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
The fact is - Bo Pelini is now the coach; love him or hate him, but at least support the team.

I wish some faculty came under the same scrutiny as the coaches,as they influence more students than just the athletes, but that is for another forum.

GO GUINS!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah, its about wins, filling the stands and running a clean program.  I don't care what happened in the past.  I don't care what people's views are and I am not going to judge a Football coach on if he likes Miller beer or Jack Daniels whiskey!  I will judge on wins and losses and getting to the playoffs.  If he is an atheist or gas a potty mouth who cares he is a freakin football coach. Let him coach the guy has won games and I think he will win here.  I could careless if he isn't a supporter of the rainbow coalition!  lol
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
This is new.  A team, school, area so desperate for wins that it would be willing to gamble its very identity for it.  The gamble?  Bo, Ron and Carl are perfect, hard working football coaches that turn YSU around and restore its Northeast Ohio greatness back to 1991 levels (because lets face it, being nationally or even regionally known isn't in the cards, especially with the big 5 now).   OR, Bobo, Ronnie and Carlsbad form their own version of the 3 athletic stooges, and a nationwide I told you so reverberates all the way up to the president's office. 

Point A, there aren't many schools that would do this, ie schools clamoring for the services of some of Bo Pelini's new and prospective staff.  They still realize that their perception of an academic institution is, in the long run, Ultimately is more important than wins (if your not power 5), and that these hires would bring that perception into question.  Which further begs the question what is the YSU administration's view of themselves?  This is an awfully desperate move to feel you have to take.  Most schools will, and have settled for football mediocrity rather than desperation.  Also, questions are raised as to just how many people are wiling to work for Bo, and how many people Bo feels he can actually trust, both are potentially dangerous answers.

Point B, IF Carl does come aboard, with the drug issues that YSU's football team has had (or any football team for the sake of fairness)  How seriously would his players take his pleas to be smart, do the right thing, make good decisions...Not a very good example.  But then again...desperation has no time for examples.

Point C, the most amazing thing about this possible decision (minus the interesting ones already made).  The cons FAR outweigh the pros.  Win the gamble..and YSU is now talked about, semi-regionally, with the likes of Mount Union; play Kent, Akron and probably win (who really cares).  Get it wrong, and ESPN is on the doorstep with every on location anchor they can scrum up, including a now "disappointed" Jaworski, the NCAA blah blah blah.   More pock marks for a pocked marked area.  More curious, even with the pros (multiple national championships) you still have an athletic department that will never be solvent (the economic facts say this), to make semi-regional success happen?...

Point D, "Rainbow Coalition? lol"....what a limited scope,  But desperation is usually hyper focused.

I wonder how many universities will stop changing paint schemes on the titanic and get to the business of dropping this blood sucking, predatory, bar-lowering sport and let basketball and olympic sports be the "marketing department" and "investment" of the institution.  And leave the hopes of profiting off of sports to those institutions that actually have the capital and alumni to make it happen.   

In reality there was no right hire for this job, now or in the future, unless YSU begs, borrows, and steals its way into DI, increases athletic spending by 85 million a year, and hopes the big 5 will play Tattaglia to it's Solozzo.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »
Lol, you people are unreal.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
People like to hear themselves talk. You either like the idea of a Carl Pelini hire, or not. Reasons are pretty obvious either way. What do people think of other coaches ...ones that we know we already have?

Offline NebraskaPenguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
Lets_Talk.  I'm tired of the misinformation.  I admit that I know Carl, and I am bias, but everything I list here can be found with a little research.  That's what I did.  Paladin doesn't get it.  And you can make the stats say anything you want.  Let's go through the list.

When Carl took over Winnetonka they had won two games in 2 years.  He went 3-7, 3-7, and then 8-2 and was named Coach of the Year.  He left for Fitch, and Winnetonka made the playoffs two of the next three years.

Same story at Fitch.  When he took over, they had won 2 games the previous year.  They were bad.  He improved their numbers and established a program.  They won 3, 2 or 3 the second year, and went 6-4 his final year.  The next year, they were arguably one of the best teams in the state, with the same staff, and lost in the playoffs to McKinley.  Yes, the current coach must be good, but both schools would agree that they were better off after his tenure.

Next, DC at Minnesota State.  They hadn't won the previous year.  They started the season 1-6, and finished 6-6.  They defeated Nebraska Omaha, ranked first in the country, in the final game.  His defense was dominant.

At Ohio, he was defensive line coach for Frank Solich.  We know the job that staff has done there, and it was during his time that they went to their first bowl game in 30 years.  His defensive line and three first team, and six total all-conference performers.   

At Nebraska, when Carl was here, we were ranked in the top ten in almost every category during the entire five years he was here.  I can't even count the number of all-Americans he had while coordinator, and I have heard many of them attribute their success to his coaching. These numbers were never equaled after his departure.

As for all the rumors and innuendos of what happened at FAU, all of you are incorrect.  It amazes me.  It's like the old "telephone game."  Paladin made all that up.  I won't even respond to him.  What I do know is that if and when he returns to coaching, all of this will become clear with the information that will be released.

Finally, he did not "apply" for high school coaching jobs.  He wanted to stay near his son, and "inquired" about what he would have to do to re-certify.  He hasn't taught in over ten years, and the amount of continuing education that would be required was substantial, despite his two masters degrees.  He decided not to go that route.

I want to be a fan.  I would love to stay a member to keep up on Bo.  But I can't stand the misinformation that is being passed on as fact. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
Thanks NP.

As most people have seen there is a small group that just keep repeating and repeating and repeating their facts. Not sure what their motives are and to a degree I really do not care. I figured out a long time ago that these type of folks are usually short on facts and hope that if they say it enough it must be true.

But it is a free country and if it makes them feel better then have at it. On my side I can choose to not read posts from certain posters.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
Please keep this thread to the subject at hand ...coaches and coaching. No religion, no socially-relevant issues. If you need a reason why ...here is one of many...because I do not care and it is my board. If you want to bash Carl Pelini (a man not even employed at YSU) or coach Brown. go to the other board or better yet ...another site. If you have concerns about them fine, say it and move on.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
Lets_Talk.  I'm tired of the misinformation.  I admit that I know Carl, and I am bias, but everything I list here can be found with a little research.  That's what I did.  Paladin doesn't get it.  And you can make the stats say anything you want.  Let's go through the list.

When Carl took over Winnetonka they had won two games in 2 years.  He went 3-7, 3-7, and then 8-2 and was named Coach of the Year.  He left for Fitch, and Winnetonka made the playoffs two of the next three years.

Same story at Fitch.  When he took over, they had won 2 games the previous year.  They were bad.  He improved their numbers and established a program.  They won 3, 2 or 3 the second year, and went 6-4 his final year.  The next year, they were arguably one of the best teams in the state, with the same staff, and lost in the playoffs to McKinley.  Yes, the current coach must be good, but both schools would agree that they were better off after his tenure.

Next, DC at Minnesota State.  They hadn't won the previous year.  They started the season 1-6, and finished 6-6.  They defeated Nebraska Omaha, ranked first in the country, in the final game.  His defense was dominant.

At Ohio, he was defensive line coach for Frank Solich.  We know the job that staff has done there, and it was during his time that they went to their first bowl game in 30 years.  His defensive line and three first team, and six total all-conference performers.   

At Nebraska, when Carl was here, we were ranked in the top ten in almost every category during the entire five years he was here.  I can't even count the number of all-Americans he had while coordinator, and I have heard many of them attribute their success to his coaching. These numbers were never equaled after his departure.

As for all the rumors and innuendos of what happened at FAU, all of you are incorrect.  It amazes me.  It's like the old "telephone game."  Paladin made all that up.  I won't even respond to him.  What I do know is that if and when he returns to coaching, all of this will become clear with the information that will be released.

Finally, he did not "apply" for high school coaching jobs.  He wanted to stay near his son, and "inquired" about what he would have to do to re-certify.  He hasn't taught in over ten years, and the amount of continuing education that would be required was substantial, despite his two masters degrees.  He decided not to go that route.

I want to be a fan.  I would love to stay a member to keep up on Bo.  But I can't stand the misinformation that is being passed on as fact. 

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000^^

:D It's awesome that it took an outsider to point out that Pally, FEVER, Lets talk and a few others are full of sh** LOL!!! ::)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:48:31 AM by ysubigred »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
1AA Fan,

You are an a$$. You are correct, this is your board. But, if you are going to move a topic, at least move the ENTIRE TOPIC. Do not single out the posts of a few people and move those, and then leave the rest of the thread open. That is total BULLsh**.

There was NO POLITICS in my comments. NO POLITICS in the comments of Paladin, Observer or FOOTBALLFEVER.

And, it is complete bullsh** for you to start a new thread in the BS section, but make it as if I started the thread, and thus I cannot delete the first post in that thread. YOU started the thread that is now in the BS section, not me. What a freaking joke.

Your board is a joke. Please remove EVERY user name you have saved for me. The fact you do not allow people to remove their user names is a joke. That allows you to boast of having tens or hundreds more users than the board actually has. If 1 person has used 4,5,6 different user names, that is ONE USER, not 4,5,6. If a person has stopped posting, and wants to delete their account but cannot, that is a person who is no longer active.

Why are you and others so bothered by legitimate discussions about Bo Pelini, Ron Brown and now Carl Pelini. Do you really think these issues are going to go away. This IS part of YSU football and YSU athletics. This is what YSU get's for hiring Bo Pelini and Ron Brown. It comes with the territory when making controversial hires and hiring HIGH PROFILE COACHES that have run into problems at previous jobs. All you are doing is proving just how small time YSU and FCS football truly are, because the discussions being had about Bo, Ron Brown and Carl Pelini are commonplace on message boards of major programs, even major programs at the FCS level. And, they are sure as hell common on FBS boards. Making this all the more ridiculous, is all the people that post on here wanting YSU to move up to FBS. Newsflash, you could NEVER handle having a board for an FBS program.

Please, please, please delete EVERY post I have ever made on this board. I will go ahead and ban myself once the posts have been deleted, but I cannot delete the account. Only you can do that. I am BEGGING you to delete the account. So, will you delete the account, or have me stop posting, but then keep the account on the list of user names, to make it appear this board has considerably more users that the actually number of users?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:24:32 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »
1AA Fan,

You are an a$$. You are correct, this is your board. But, if you are going to move a topic, at least move the ENTIRE TOPIC. Do not single out the posts of a few people and move those, and then leave the rest of the thread open. That is total BULLsh**.

There was NO POLITICS in my comments. NO POLITICS in the comments of Paladin, Observer or FOOTBALLFEVER.

And, it is complete bullsh** for you to start a new thread in the BS section, but make it as if I started the thread, and thus I cannot delete the first post in that thread. YOU started the thread that is now in the BS section, not me. What a freaking joke.

Your board is a joke. Please remove EVERY user name you have saved for me. The fact you do not allow people to remove their user names is a joke. That allows you to boast of having tens or hundreds more users than the board actually has. If 1 person has used 4,5,6 different user names, that is ONE USER, not 4,5,6. If a person has stopped posting, and wants to delete their account but cannot, that is a person who is no longer active.

Why are you and others so bothered by legitimate discussions about Bo Pelini, Ron Brown and now Carl Pelini. Do you really think these issues are going to go away. This IS part of YSU football and YSU athletics. This is what YSU get's for hiring Bo Pelini and Ron Brown. It comes with the territory when making controversial hires and hiring HIGH PROFILE COACHES that have run into problems at previous jobs. All you are doing is proving just how small time YSU and FCS football truly are, because the discussions being had about Bo, Ron Brown and Carl Pelini are commonplace on message boards of major programs, even major programs at the FCS level. And, they are sure as hell common on FBS boards. Making this all the more ridiculous, is all the people that post on here wanting YSU to move up to FBS. Newsflash, you could NEVER handle having a board for an FBS program.

Please, please, please delete EVERY post I have ever made on this board. I will go ahead and ban myself once the posts have been deleted, but I cannot delete the account. Only you can do that. I am BEGGING you to delete the account. So, will you delete the account, or have me stop posting, but then keep the account on the list of user names, to make it appear this board has considerably more users that the actually number of users?

Let's Talk, I hope you reconsider.  I've enjoyed your input.  You have a unique perspective that this board needs.  I think every poster has some beef with this forum.  Mine is the support of individuals that harm the University and it's athletics (the AD, and MBB HC for a few examples).  Overall, however, it is a great way to vent as well as stay up to date with the University. 

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
Overall, however, it is a great way to vent as well as stay up to date with the University.

That is exactly what the board is for & it could not have been said any better. Anything else is just banter.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
PenguinNation,

Thank you, but what is there to reconsider? This is the SECOND thread 1AA Fan has moved that involved discussion about the coaching staff. And, this time, he took comments made by myself, Paladin, NebraskaPenguin and a few others, started a new thread in the BS section, and has it so that I am listed as the person who started the thread. And, just so you know, at least 2 posts you made on THIS THREAD have been moved to the BS section. Why, I have no idea other than it is 1AAFan's board, and like the kid that brings the only ball to play kickball, basketball, baseball, football, soccer...etc, he can take his ball and go home any time he wants.

Thus, that thread now makes no sense, given people were responding to comments made by myself and others. And, this thread here is out of balance, because posts have been removed.

YSU now has a high profile, former FBS Head Coach. A person with a long track record. A person who is a lightning rod for controversy, and who really does not care. He is who he is, and dealing with the controversy comes with the territory. He hired a former assistant of his from Nebraska, who is also a lightning rod for controversy, and like Bo does not seem to care. In fact, Ron Brown almost seems to relish the controversy. Then there is the POSSIBILITY of Carl Pelini being a part of the staff. A person who has been an assistant at the FBS level at one of the most well known college programs in the country, plus OU, another FBS program. And he was most recently and a Head Coach at the FBS level, and has controversy in his past from his time at FAU, and the reasons he is no longer the HC. Those are just facts. This is not going away. If anything, it will intensify as the season nears, and maybe even during Spring practice. YSU will get alot of national media attention for mistakes made by Bo, Ron Brown and Carl if hired. They will get little national attention for successes, because of being an FCS program. That is the reality of college football in the year 2015.

So, discussions like what has transpired on this thread, and on the thread about Ron Brown are the new normal at YSU. That is what happens when hiring prominent people who have a history of being controversial figures, and for whom there are hundreds of articles out there on line about the controversies in which they have been involved. I've read comments about Bo and Carl on Nebraska fan boards that I never passed on, largely because they are comments that have no links to back up the accusations. The things I've posted are things found in links on the internet, and also articles in The Jambar, the school newspaper.

What is the point of me remaining? This is far from the first time I have apparently gotten on the nerves of many of the people who post. So, why stay? Why subject myself to this BS? Why subject others to my posts? My life does not revolve around YSU Athletics, and now that I'm in Las Vegas, I also support UNLV as this is now my home. I will just spend my time as far as discussing college athletics on the UNLV message board.

To people I offended with my language, I apologize. Having said that, the language in my post is very tame compared to what you will be getting with Bo Pelini as HC. Not an indictment of Bo, just stating a fact. One he would most likely agree with, and there are also the audio and video readily available.

I let my temper get to me, and for that I apologize. Not for the point of my post, but some of the language. And, I'm leaving the post up to show I am a person prone to allowing their emotions to get the best of them at times, and I'm also willing to admit fault and apologize when that happens.

Alaina
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:31:15 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »
Overall, however, it is a great way to vent as well as stay up to date with the University.

That is exactly what the board is for & it could not have been said any better. Anything else is just banter.

What is a good point, people venting? If so, then why is MY venting not welcome? I agree that the ENTIRE POST made by PenguinNation was a very good post. And, this is a person with whom I do not always agree, and PenguinNation does not always agree with me. So what? It is possible to disagree and still appreciate what others have to say, and the contributions they make to discussions. And, one has to confine themselves to a very small bubble in order to have discussions with people that they agree with 100% of the time. That does not even happen with spouses, siblings and best friends.

BTW, I am way past tired of what passes as a men's basketball program at YSU, and given the state of the men's basketball program and all that is now taking place with football, I sadly am in agreement with PenguinNation and others about the AD. I say this, because I have known the AD since middle school, and have defended him often on this forum, when others were calling for his head. Now, I'm moving toward the group that believes the current AD is not the right person for the job, and that saddens me. :(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:09:16 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
You know.  I don't really care.  All of the evidence is based off of media reports.  I just went on the Buckeye Cancer Cruise and it was delayed due to fog.  The news media has it so wrong that when I came into work 2 days later than expected everyone was asking how I got back.  They thought it was still at sea. 

My point is that I don't know what Carl Pelini does in his spare time, but how credible are the sources?  He was at Nebraska for a long time before he left.  Then they find out there is a problem when he is in Florida.  Maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  You would think the issues would have surfaced many years ago if he was really involved with drugs etc.  (not saying he wasn't when he was younger etc, I don't know that either).  Just saying that most journalism is sh**ty in these days and they don't get facts straight.  I have seen it multiple times, especially while I was in the military and working as an intern for Mahoning County when I was in college.