Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 118970 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
penguinpower,

You make valid points, especially about the media not always getting it correct. But, that is not going to change, and YSU now has 2 HIGH PROFILE coach's, with Carl being a 3rd if hired. And, as for Bo and Ron Brown, there is video and audio of things they have said and how they acted. I watched Bo on live television make an idiot of himself. That happens in the heat of the moment during sports, so it's not as if Bo is the only person to ever do that type of thing. I remember one time when Tressel was at OSU, the sideline camera clearly cuaght him saying "F#$K". Yes, Sweater Vest dropped the F-bomb, and it was captured live. I laughed my butt off. These kind of things also get played over and over and over on the myriad of sports networks. And, with Bo it has happened more than once. NOT saying it makes him a bad person. I am saying this kind of thing is perceived differently by different people, and Bo is going to be a major public face of YSU. My wife and I both use the F-word. But, as Mike Huckabee would say, we are "trashy", the likes you find in NYC and I guess you find here in Las Vegas  :P  ;)

As for Carl, what has me dumbfounded is if he is indeed innocent of using drugs at FAU, why did he sign a letter of resignation, that stated his resignation was IRREVOCABLE? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER sign your name to ANYTHING of that kind without consulting a lawyer, no matter how much pressure is put on you by an employer. And, why would he not sue the assistant coach and friend of multiple coaches at FAU that put their names on affidavits? That makes no sense. Your point about what has been written in the media is well taken. But, the signed affidavits are not things made up by the media. And, for whatever reason, Carl resigned and put his name on a legal document admitting to drug use, before trying to fight to get his job back.

Also, it is possible he may not have used pot or cocaine when at Nebraska. It's also possible he was using it but doing so it private. It's possible he never used pot or cocaine when at FAU. And, at a place like Nebraska, this kind of thing can get covered up if the powers that be wish for it to be covered up. That is true of most major college programs. It's also not uncommon for a person to use drugs/alcohol, be abusive to players, or other things of that nature, and not face any punishment until it somehow makes the school or administration look bad. Then you have the case of a guy like Bobby Knight, who was out of control his ENTIRE time at Indiana, yet did not get fired until his teams started coming up short in the NCAA Tournament. The administrators at Indiana shared responsibility for how Bobby Knight acted, because they let him get away with acting that way for decades. Then his teams stop winning as much, and suddenly it is a major issue and he has to be replaced.

No matter what the truth, this is going to follow Carl to his next job. I'm NOT saying that is right, especially if he is indeed innocent. Just pointing out a fact. What some people, myself included are saying is YSU already has Bo and Ron Brown. Adding Carl would just be too much. And, trust me, people will link all of this to Tressel and his rules violations at OSU, and also the fact YSU was on NCAA probation when Tressel was HC, and now he is University President.

And, I'm at a loss as to why having this discussion is somehow looked at as irrelevant to YSU and YSU Athletics?

I saw a person mention going after Mike Rice Jr to replace Slocum, and some responded NO WAY, he is damaged goods and not worth the negative attention it would bring. But, the guy can coach, he had alot of success at Robert Morris, and he claims he has changed and learned from his mistakes. So, why does he not deserve a 2nd chance, especially given YSU is quickly becoming the place for 2nd chances? The things he did at Rutger's were reprehensible, but everyone makes mistakes is what I keep reading in regards to Bo, Ron Brown and Carl Pelini. So, why is the same not true for Mike Rice Jr? The cynic in me says the reason is because he is a basketball coach, and men's basketball is at best 3rd in terms of priority, behind football and women's basketball.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:33:24 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »
penguinpower,

As for Carl, what has me dumbfounded is if he is indeed innocent of using drugs at FAU, why did he sign an affidavit admitting to drug use? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER sign your name to ANYTHING of that kind without consulting a lawyer, no matter how much pressure is put on you by an employer. And, why would he not sue the assistant coach and friend of multiple coaches at FAU that put their names on affidavits? That makes no sense. Your point about what has been written in the media is well taken. But, the signed affidavits are not things made up by the media. And, for whatever reason, Carl resigned and put his name on a legal document admitting to drug use, before trying to fight to get his job back.

Pelini never signed an affidavit.

per the vindicator.

"Florida Atlantic’s athletic director, Pat Chun, confronted Pelini and Rekstis with the allegations on Oct. 30, 2013, and the coaches immediately resigned. Weeks later, Pelini asked that his resignation be withdrawn. That request was granted on Nov. 26, 2013, when FAU changed the resignation to a firing.FAU’s interim president, Dennis J. Crudele, then wrote a letter to Pelini saying he was fired for failing to report the conduct of a staff member and not for using illegal drugs.
 - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/feb/22/youngstown-state-football-carl-pelini-co/?newswatch#sthash.ciuIadpe.dpuf

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
Mike Rice assaulted players, and there video of the multiple assaults on his players.  He was even throwing basketballs at their heads. 

There is an ocean of difference between multiple violent acts while on the job....and using illegal substances on your own time (if that's even what happened).

I don't get the Puritan standard for a FB coach when we have a POTUS who admitted to using way more drugs.  These things shouldn't even be illegal....unless you want to support drug cartels, organized crime, and want the government telling you what you can put in your own body.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Lets_Talk

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »
PenguinPower,

I apologize for the mistake. Carl did however submit a letter of resignation. That is not the same as an affidavit, I understand. Still not sure why he would submit a signed letter of resignation though if not guilty?

The letter asked that his irrevocable resignation be accepted.... So, why do that if not guilty...Link contains the 2 sworn affidavits alleging drug use, the resignation letters of Carl and Rekstis, and e-mails
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/college/football/sunbelt/2013-11-1-carl-pelini-documents.pdf

Here is a link that actually has what was written in the article in a form I can cut and paste. This article contained the text of the resignation letter, and then the brief comments Carl made when announcing his resignation. What poor judgement would he have exercised at this time to warrant resigning, other than use of the drugs he was accused of using? And, again, at the very least, he was very stupid for writing this letter, resigning when he did and making the public statement he did. He can claimed he was forced into this all he wants. You cannot be forced to resign. Instead, you say "I'm not admitting guilt for something I did not do, and if you want me removed from my job, then you will have to FIRE ME"

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/former-fau-football-coach-carl-pelini-fighting-to-/nbkwL/
..."Pelini’s letter of resignation read: “Please accept this as my irrevocable resignation from my position as head coach of the FAU football program affective immediately for personal reasons.”

He then issued a statement reading: “I apologize for exercising poor judgment. My greatest concerns at this time are for my family, the dedicated FAU players and my staff. I am confident that Pat Chun and the University administration will continue to move the program forward.”"...

And, this still does not answer the question as to why he would not sue the 2 people that signed affidavits if he was innocent. Those 2 individuals cost him his job, his reputation and seriously jeopardized his opportunity for future employment.

And, something to consider. If I were the one firing Pelini, I would not admit it was for drug use. Much better PR move to fire him for not reporting misconduct of a staff member.

I still think you are missing the point. Does YSU truly want to be putting out fires like this? AS it is, the press conference to introduce Bo Pelini as Head Coach was done in front of a limited group of media. Why not have it open to ANY member of the media interested in covering it, including ESPN, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, USAToday...etc

And, again, I apologize if I said Carl signed an affidavit. I will go back and check my posts, and remove that from ALL posts in which it was incorrectly stated.

Alaina
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:00:35 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
PenguinPower,

I apologize for the mistake. Carl did however submit a letter of resignation. That is not the same as an affidavit, I understand. Still not sure why he would submit a signed letter of resignation though if not guilty?

The letter asked that his irrevocable resignation be accepted.... So, why do that if not guilty?
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/college/football/sunbelt/2013-11-1-carl-pelini-documents.pdf

And, this still does not answer the question as to why he would not sue the 2 people that signed affidavits if he was innocent. Those 2 individuals cost him his job, his reputation and seriously jeopardized his opportunity for future employment.

And, something to consider. If I were the one firing Pelini, I would not admit it was for drug use. Much better PR move to fire him for not reporting misconduct of a staff member.

I still think you are missing the point. Does YSU truly want to be putting out fires like this? AS it is, the press conference to introduce Bo Pelini as Head Coach was done in front of a limited group of media. Why not have it open to ANY member of the media interested in covering it, including ESPN, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, USAToday...etc

And, again, I apologize if I said Carl signed an affidavit. I will go back and check my posts, and remove that from ALL posts in which it was incorrectly stated.

Alaina

It could have been strictly contractual with regard to $$$ as to why he resigned.

Plus if he doesn't then he has a difficult time getting hired somewhere else if he fights it.

Also if there is risk to losing money in court.  If you sue somebody with nothing you get nothing so that may be the reason why he didn't sue.  He is a public figure and may not want the attention.

Finally YSU is too small of a market for this to be big news.  As Paladin pointed out the issue may occur in recruiting, with coaches that bash other schools.  (North Dakota has been accused of this tactic not NDSU).  That would be the only drawback.  Pelini was not convicted of doing drugs and he denied it too.  Carl has a big personality so you never know if there were some other motives.  You are innocent until proven guilty in the USA last time I checked.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:52:53 PM by penguinpower »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
Mike Rice assaulted players, and there video of the multiple assaults on his players.  He was even throwing basketballs at their heads. 

There is an ocean of difference between multiple violent acts while on the job....and using illegal substances on your own time (if that's even what happened).

I don't get the Puritan standard for a FB coach when we have a POTUS who admitted to using way more drugs.  These things shouldn't even be illegal....unless you want to support drug cartels, organized crime, and want the government telling you what you can put in your own body.

I agree with your comments about Mike Rice Jr, and in NO WAY would I want him hired as basketball coach at YSU.
As for the POTUS and drug use, this is where 1AA Fan gets upset, and I'm going to DEFEND HIS POSITION. I'm also going to answer by saying that has NOTHING to do with YSU or YSU Athletics, and that the drug use of which you speak happened in COLLEGE. Plenty of prominent people have used drugs in high school and college and also abused alcohol. Big difference between doing it as a teen or when in college, and doing it as an ADULT who is responsible for molding the lives of young men as coaches like to say, and also having rules that penalize student-athletes for using drugs, or drinking alcohol if underage. And, in the case of Carl Pelini, he signed a contract that prohibited him from using pot, cocaine and other illegal drugs. I've had jobs where I signed such contracts, in addition to jobs where I had to pass a drug test in order to get hired. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE leave politics out of this.

And, again, this is an issue where 1AA Fan has my 100% support. NO BRINGING UP POLITICS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YSU IN ANYWAY.... And, 1AA Fan, if I've done this in the past, I APOLOGIZE and have NO PROBLEM going forward knowing that if I bring politics irrelevant to YSU into a discussion, that post will be removed by you or another administrator.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
I bring up POTUS's drug use only to demonstrate the strained logic of applying differing standards to a FB coach and a POTUS.  I did not support or attack the President or his polices, but simply pointed out conflicting standards.  I think even the most ardent Democrats acknowledge his drug use.  The President acknowledged it himself in his autobiography.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Lets_Talk

« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
penguinpower,

Again, you are making very good points. The problem is that Carl did end up fighting things at FAU. And, that is most likely why he is having such difficulty finding a job, and also why alot of people are leary of his side of the story. As I have said in multiple posts, if going to go down fighting and burning bridges, then fight like hell and burn everything in sight. Especially if you know you are innocent.

Given that Pete Rekstis is now coaching at Rhode Island, I have a hard time believing Carl would not have been given a 2nd chance had he simply resigned as he did to begin with. And, it does not do any good pleading his case in the media. Do it IN COURT, especially against the people who DID sign affidavits, which if their claims were false they would be guilty of perjury. Win in court, and you come out ahead both money wise and also with regards to your reputation and good name.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:29 PM »
I bring up POTUS's drug use only to demonstrate the strained logic of applying differing standards to a FB coach and a POTUS.  I did not support or attack the President or his polices, but simply pointed out conflicting standards.  I think even the most ardent Democrats acknowledge his drug use.  The President acknowledged it himself in his autobiography.

But you are injecting politics into the discussion. I tried very, very, very hard to answer your question and do so without bringing up politics. You make a comment like that, then another person makes a comment accusing you of hating the political figure mentioned, and next thing the thread is about POLITICS.

And, with the same fervor I lashed out at 1AAFan for chopping up this discussion and then moving parts of it to the BS Forum, with myself as the person who started the thread, I am going to DEFEND HIS STANCE OF NO POLITICS.

I cannot say anything more on all of this. I have already wasted wayyyyyyyyyyy too much time. I've said my peace, put thing out there for people to think about, vented, and now I am going to leave this discussion, rather than just keep repeating myself. To ALL who have commented, please know your points are well taken. I have not agreed with everyone, but several of you have said things that have led me to look at this situation at FAU differently. I still think though Carl being hired by YSU would be a mistake, and that it will be an issue in the National Media. But, that is not my decision to make, and I wish Carl Pelini the best going forward.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
So is it possible talk about a coach? Or are we going to let the monkey's drive the banana truck? Serious coaching issues:

1. Can Brown coach?
2. Is Stoops qualified to be DC?

Anything else?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
Dana Balash @DanaBalash21  ·  1h 1 hour ago

@21WFMJSports I'm told by YSU source Carl Pelini will be an assistant coach on Penguin FB staff. Old staff contracts expire at midnight.

.@21WFMJSports  Its expected new YSU staff will be officially introduced next week.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »

@21WFMJSports I'm told by YSU source Carl Pelini will be an assistant coach on Penguin FB staff. Old staff contracts expire at midnight.

.@21WFMJSports  Its expected new YSU staff will be officially introduced next week.

Great News !!  Welcome Home, Carl !!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »
Scalzo:

Ten thoughts on Carl Pelini being added to Youngstown State’s football staff:

1. When Bo Pelini decided he wanted to add his brother Carl to his staff, he knew the biggest hurdle would be explaining Carl’s messy exit from Florida Atlantic midway through the 2013 season.

Carl Pelini resigned as FAU’s head coach on Oct. 30, 2013, amid reports that he and assistant coach Pete Rekstis had used marijuana and cocaine. One of Carl’s assistants, Matt Edwards, had signed an affidavit that he saw both coaches use the drugs and another woman, Allison Stewart, said she not only saw Pelini use marijuana, but that Pelini confirmed as much in a text message to her.

FAU athletic director Patrick Chun told reporters that when he confronted Pelini with the evidence, Pelini admitted it was true and resigned.

Carl, however, paints a very different picture of that meeting. He has repeatedly denied using drugs and YSU sources told me he passed three subsequent drug tests, including a hair follicle test. (I’m told Rekstis, a YSU graduate and former assistant coach for the Penguins, failed the drug test. He is now the defensive coordinator at Rhode Island.)

2. Pelini told Sports Illustrated that Edwards and Stewart were having an affair — I was told the same thing — and that he confronted them about it multiple times.

Carl claims they used the drug allegations as a way of trying to smear him. Carl also claims Chun double-crossed him during the meeting, with Chun originally telling him he was getting fired but promising to take care of him if he resigned, then telling a very different story in the press conference.

3. The unanswered question here is, why did Carl resign without at least having a lawyer look at what he was signing?

When I asked a YSU source that question, he said simply, “He made the biggest mistake of his life.”

When I asked why Carl didn’t immediately sue FAU or Edwards following Chun’s press conference, the source said, “Because he got very, very bad advice.”

Someone in Carl’s inner circle thought his being involved in a lawsuit would only hurt his chances to find another job.

4. That, obviously, was a colossal blunder. Pelini waited a week to refute the drug rumors — that’s WAY too long in the age of social media — and he hasn’t been hired since. He even got turned down for a high school job in Des Moines a few weeks ago.

Even worse, FAU interim coach Brian Wright (a former YSU assistant) led the Owls to a 4-0 record to finish the 2013 season after Pelini had gone just 5-15 during his tenure.

Pelini requested his resignation be changed to a firing and the school complied in late November, with FAU’s interim president Dennis J. Crudele saying he was fired for “termination with cause based on our finding that you failed to timely report certain conduct of a member of your staff, as required by your contract.”

Crudele also said Carl wasn’t fired for drug use.

But by then, the damage was done.

5. YSU’s other problem, at least from a public relations standpoint, is that Carl already had some baggage before the firing.

While YSU sources insist Carl does not have a drug problem — and never did — they admit he hasn’t been a choirboy over the last decade, either.

AdChoices

His personality doesn’t help. Carl can be rude and unprofessional, something I learned firsthand when he was the head coach at Austintown Fitch. His final two seasons (2001-02) overlapped with my first two years at The Vindicator and he might be the single-most unpleasant coach I’ve ever dealt with. I think hiring him is a mistake.

6. That said, you either believe people can change or you don’t.

Bo believes Carl’s firing was the best thing that could have happened to him and that he’s in a much better place now. I’ve also been told that Bo has made it very clear that Carl has no room for error — anything more than a parking ticket and he’s gone.

Bo also thinks Carl is an excellent football coach who deserves another chance. He’s told people that Carl is the best defensive line coach he’s ever worked with, which is saying something considering his resume.

I’ve also been told that Carl chose YSU over an offer from an NFL team, with Bo telling Carl that this is the best option for him, personally and professionally.

7. One clarification about the defensive line position: I’m told Pelini retained Tom Sims, who spent the last five years coaching the defensive line under Wolford. But Sims left to take that same position at Pitt, his alma mater. A few other Eric Wolford assistants did the same, with safeties coach Mike Zordich leaving for Michigan and potential secondary coach Ross Watson leaving for Northern Illinois.

8. With Carl’s hiring, YSU is quickly developing a reputation as Redemption U.

Eric Wolford helped Mark Mangino rebuild his reputation, hiring him as tight ends coach in 2013 after a three-year layoff following his firing at Kansas. After a drama-free season, Mangino left to become the offensive coordinator at Iowa State.

Jim Tressel was hired as YSU’s president even though he is still operating under the NCAA’s show-cause penalty following his departure from Ohio State.

And Bo Pelini certainly made his share of enemies at Nebraska, including the athletic director.

9. As anyone who has lived in Youngstown more than five minutes knows, if the Pelini brothers win (and stay off the front page of The Vindicator), nobody in Youngstown will care what happened at Nebraska, FAU or anywhere else. Bo was hired to win football games and he believes Carl helps him do that. Period.

10. Still, it’s a risk. If Carl gets into trouble here, the criticism won’t stop with Bo. Tressel and athletic director Ron Strollo are also accountable, since they’re the ones who have to sign off on this deal.

Carl’s hiring sends a message that Bo, Tressel and Strollo believe Carl will have a positive influence on YSU’s players — and not just when it comes to football.

They’d better be right.

Joe Scalzo covers YSU athletics for The Vindicator. Write to him at scalzo@vindy.com and follow him on Twitter, @JoeScalzo1.
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/mar/04/bo-betting-carl-will-help-ysu-win-games/?newswatch#sthash.gDWspdrz.dpuf

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
Dana Balash reports that the official hiring of Carl Pelini is expected by the end of the week

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile