Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 121020 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »
Per Joe Scalzo Bo is considering hiring his brother Carl as the Defensive line coach

I'm good with that.  My only reservation is his slow start as HC at FAU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
He must be nuts. Another black eye for YSU. The good old boy system in full bloom.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
I have changed my opinion on if he hires his brother.  The coaching fraternity is about you hire who you trust and know.  Our division lets us take chances on players that made a mistake in the past.  So why not coaches.  We are getting a high quality hire who needs to prove himself.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »
I have changed my opinion on if he hires his brother.  The coaching fraternity is about you hire who you trust and know.  Our division lets us take chances on players that made a mistake in the past.  So why not coaches.  We are getting a high quality hire who needs to prove himself.

Agreed, good point.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
We are getting a high quality hire who needs to prove himself.

And if he proves himself to the better, that is good for YSU
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »
Everybody deserves a 2nd chance. I'm fine with it.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Everybody deserves a 2nd chance. I'm fine with it.

+1

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2015, 03:42:36 PM »
Well if we are doing it for one ...then let's take them both. I always liked Rekstis.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
Drug heaven. Opposing recruiters will have a field day. This will come back to bite them.

I told you it was going  to be a comedy.  Many laughs still on the way.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
Drug heaven. Opposing recruiters will have a field day. This will come back to bite them.

I told you it was going  to be a comedy.  Many laughs still on the way.
I couldn't agree more. It's just amazing how most people on this board can turn their heads when it comes to issues surrounding Bo, Brown, or Carl like nothing has ever happened. Now go lead our young men at Y.S.U. to victory please !!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
Cocaine just means he's energetic ;)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
  I hope Bo wins, and I am supportive.  But I agree with the last two posts.  Hiring Bo was controversial, the guy needs need anger management support.  Then the assistant who bashes gay and lesbians, not smart at a public school in 2015.  But nothing awful here.

But Carl Pelini is no good, fired because of drugs, and allegations of partying with students.   Surprised President Tressel is going to let this happen.   And why do so many here think he is this great coach?  What has he done to get this praise.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »
A few thoughts:

I don't think Pres. Tressel is as involved in the football program as many think or hope.  I am sure he is aware of all that is going on, but it would not be to the best interest of the program to hire a coach and then run the program from the President's office. 

Second, I think Pres. Tressel has his hands full dealing with the problems of the university and the tension between faculty and athletics.  This problem is at every university, but it hits YSU hard because of budget and financial justification.

That said, I am not sure that there is a big waiting list of coaches worth their salt trying to join the staff at Youngstown.  Right now, the coaching staff is not complete and spring practice is 21 days away.  Very difficult situation for a first year coach with high expectations; even more than Wolford started with.

If the program catapults in the right direction, a lot will be forgiven.  Unfortunately, we have had years of results to fuel the skepticism.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
Tressel always gave players second chances.  I was at an event recently and he was very passionate on where and what his expectations are for the players and program.  He wants to be here. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
You people are sick. Wanting to win is no excuse to turn your head to SERIOUS drug abuse. Carl was a failure as a coach. He is Pelinis brother. Nothing more. And YSU opens itself to scorn and ridicule if Bo hires him and Strollo and tressel look the other way. Schools will use it against us in recruiting. It will be discussed with recruit parents. The community should be up in anger over this. Unlike Bo's anger problems and potty mouth, he has NO RIGHT to bring his drug abusing brother here and coach. Bo doesn't run this place. Even Youngstown must have "some" standards and it's already viewed as an armpit. WAKE UP !