Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237563 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »
@WeAreYoungstown: You can add @BiloFootball to the online sites thinking Pelini ends up at YSU. Believe what you may folks...

kforbs126

« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
The guy is claiming his sources are valid.  Never heard of him and only has 2k followers.
I was just on his website. He insisted that Pelini has accepted the YSU offer. It is being reviewed by the board. I don't how good he is. He sounds like he is absolutely sure about this. Anyone knows anything about this guy?

Never heard of him and he responded to me that he won't give up his sources.  I don't believe he knows anymore than anyone else.  He's a nobody and looks like he's trying to get attention.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »
Kfor, good point.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Watch scoop this evening... That is all.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
Here's one of the reasons I feel Stollo needs to get a coach in here and fast. First off if a player doesn't have a offer from a F.B.S. program by the fall prior to national signing day they are not getting one. From the fall all the way up untill national signing day Y.S.U. competes 24/7 with teams in the Colonial, Ivy, Mid Eastern, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Pioneer conferences along with Navy and Airforce for the best players available that the F.B.S. school's feel are not Quite good enough. This is why TIME is critical at this point. I realize players will transfer in and out regardless of who the new coach is. If we get a big name coach such as Bo I'm not as worried. But at the same time if Stollo has offered Bo and he's waiting to here back I simply don't think you can afford to wait. It's time to move forward in my opinion if a coach is unsure it's go time -you owe that to a program! ! This is just all so problematic at this point I just hope all the chemistry works out in the end. Sometimes things like these can make a program worse before it gets better. That's the chance you take with any coaching change tho

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »
Scalzo just tweeted Hood and Bo are the top 2 targets and a 3rd candidate is to be interviewed tomorrow for insurance purposes whatever that means 😨 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
Watch scoop this evening... That is all.

Ok?.....

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
Scalzo just tweeted Hood and Bo are the top 2 targets and a 3rd candidate is to be interviewed tomorrow for insurance purposes whatever that means 😨

Dean Hood:  Head coaching record
Overall    49–33
Tournaments    0–2 (NCAA D-I playoffs)
Statistics: College Football Data Warehouse

Sounds like Stollo is selling the family cow for three magic beans
I hope I am wrong, but things aren't looking promising if Scalzo is correct

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 14, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »
Assuming HOOD is named the next Head Coach, I hope he has connections because looking through the EKU coaching staff im not sure they are ready for the MVFC.... Hopefully Sundays interview is someone from within the ranks of the MVFC....  I understand the Pelini love affair but if he isnt the man not sure they are looking in the right direction? 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2014, 01:28:51 AM »
Nothing on Football Scoop about the YSU job. Not anything new at all on the internet about the YSU job. Really do not see Pelini taking the job, unless YSU is willing to wait until January. He is going to get paid whether he coaches or not. He can be picky, very picky. As far as wanting his kids to go to Mooney, what was he going to do if not fired by Nebraska, quit at some point and move back to Ytown?

I understand he has stong ties to Mooney. Comes from a big family, and all his brothers and sisters went to Mooney. But, in the big picture, Mooney is just another Catholic High School. It's nothing special when looking at the entire United States.

And, as I have said multiple times, expectations for him at YSU would be very high. Win the MVFC...win multiple games in the playoffs...beat NDSU, SDSU, UNI.... win a National Title. Expectations will be high no matter who is hired, they will be even higher if the coach is Pelini. And, I'm not sure how realistic the expectations will be if Pelini is hired. Good coach, but not God. NDSU is not going to become a bad team. Nor will SDSU or UNI. Those are 3 solid PROGRAMS. And, when it comes to playing FBS schools, YSU will be doing it with FCS players, and the limited scholarships allowed in FCS.

To me, the only reason to take the YSU job if I'm Bo Pelini is as a last resort, if none of the better options pan out. Even then, maybe just take a year off and then start back to coaching refreshed and recharged in 2016. That option has worked for other coaches fired from big name college programs, and also for coaches fired from NFL teams.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2014, 02:17:02 AM »
The guy you hire should have a better resume than the guy you fired.

Pelini obviously does. 

Hood does not.  Not even close.

Wolford has a higher win % than Hood over the most recent two years, and got it in the top FCS conference.  Massey ranks the OVC seventh in the FCS.

I will support the YSU HC even if they pick Justin Bieber, but it is difficult to expect a guy like Hood to perform better in the SEC Of the FCS, than he performed in what is close to a 1AAA conference.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »
Hiring Hood would be like winning a car and then finding out it is a used Pinto.

Hey he may be a great guy and maybe he could get us to the promised land but he sure would have a lot to prove.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Seriously I have know clue why Hood would be one of Strollo's top choices. Hands down Wolford is a better coach and our assistant's are much better then the staff at E.K.U..If it's true  Hood and Bo are head and shoulders above the rest of the candidates for Strollo I say hire Wolf back if it is going to be Hood- unbelievable !!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
FWIW, I was told we should have a coach by Tuesday at the latest, unless another curveball is thrown into this today. The Pelini situation is more complicated than a simple yes or no. Some folks I've talked to have said the past week can be described with the word "bizarre." If I hear anymore, I will let you know.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
The guy you hire should have a better resume than the guy you fired.

Pelini obviously does. 

Hood does not.  Not even close.

Wolford has a higher win % than Hood over the most recent two years, and got it in the top FCS conference.  Massey ranks the OVC seventh in the FCS.

I will support the YSU HC even if they pick Justin Bieber, but it is difficult to expect a guy like Hood to perform better in the SEC Of the FCS, than he performed in what is close to a 1AAA conference.
If Wolf had his job in EKU, he probably would still be our HC today. If Hood could not win consistently at EKU, how do you expect him to coach us to the top of MVFC?
If we hire this guy, we will be  back into the same situation in a few years, firing the HC and paying for the buy out.
However, I do want to give them the benefit of the doubt this time (comparing to when Wolf was hired) since Tressel is now in charge. I think Tressel knows what he is doing.