Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235663 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
Not sure what the relationship is like between Pelini and Gary Andersen. I am pretty sure though that Andersen is NOT going to be taking the DC he had at Wisconsin with him to Oregon State after the 59-0 loss to Ohio State.

I believe Wisconsin had the #2 D in the nation before playing Ohio State.  I think Cardale took them by surprise and they didn't think Ohio State could stop their run game.  After that, the wheels fell off.
Nashville TN radio reported this morning that Pelini was not headed to YSU...not sure what they know.

I still hear that Iowa State is going to shake up their coaching staff.  Would Mangino come back and would he fit?

kforbs126

« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2014, 08:31:18 AM »
Not sure what the relationship is like between Pelini and Gary Andersen. I am pretty sure though that Andersen is NOT going to be taking the DC he had at Wisconsin with him to Oregon State after the 59-0 loss to Ohio State.

I believe Wisconsin had the #2 D in the nation before playing Ohio State.  I think Cardale took them by surprise and they didn't think Ohio State could stop their run game.  After that, the wheels fell off.
Nashville TN radio reported this morning that Pelini was not headed to YSU...not sure what they know.

I still hear that Iowa State is going to shake up their coaching staff.  Would Mangino come back and would he fit?

Why the hell would YSU want Mangino.  Sorry but if I had kids I wouldn't want them playing for that clown.  He maybe a good coach but he's not a good human being.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »
The longer this supposed "search" goes on, the worse it gets from a PR standpoint. YSU might have gotten some positive energy at first from the Pelini rumors, but with each passing day that energy is lost.

Also, why are things so "hush-hush" as far as who has applied, and who is being interviewed? As a state school, doesn't YSU have an obligation to the public to make it known who has applied for the position, and who has been or will be interviewed?

I agree with those saying if Pelini TRULY wanted the job, he would have been hired by now. And, if the sticking point is Assistant coaches pay, YSU plays in FCS. The assistant coaches are NOT going to be paid that of assistants at FBS schools, especially not schools in the "power 5" conferences. If they are, for whatever reason, then the YSU faculty would right be justified in crying "foul", and going out on strike. Pelini has been in college coaching long enough to know what the ranges are for HC's, DC/OC, position coaches at EVERY LEVEL of college football and also within each conference.

Also, I checked on the YSU Athletics web site. November 22, 2009 is when Heacock announced he was resigning, and Dec 15th, 2009 is when Wolford was OFFICIALLY announced as the new HC.

The announcement Wolford would not return to YSU was made on Nov 25th, and today is Dec 13th. That search was also done under semi-secrecy, there were numerous rumors, YSU was trumpeted as having found "their man", and the rest as they say is history.  :-\

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
The longer the search goes on it also hurts the recruiting efforts  of the 2015 class. Out of the 10 commits we have how many will stay or go? Alot of that depends witch assistant's are retained and if the new head coach wants to honor their verbals or bring players along with him or pick and chose what's left. The Juco dead line is this week I believe. I look for some high end Division 2 players to get offers at the last minute that normally wouldn't. The timing in this whole search is just unfortunate.

This should have been figured out before Wolford was fired.  This clearly shows lack of planning.   Having a list is not planning.  They should have had this all but finalized with estimated probabilities for multiple scenarios.   Instead we wait...we lose again with recruiting (didn't learn that lesson from when heacock was fired).  Unbelievable

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »
Relax.

1. Since this Pelini crap came up, we need to wait or any candidate will feel like they are second-string.

2, Heacock told Strollo he would resign if he did not make the play-off in 2009. That became clear the moment he lost game #4 in October. Quite honestly, probably sooner then that, as Heacock knew the chances after the first couple of games. If you follow this site at all, you should have known that Wolf was at the last YSU home game ...in the press box while Heacock was taking the team through pregame warm-ups on the field. It was no secret. This time Strollo had high hopes we would make the post-season and would not be hiring anyone ...except possibly a DC.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 13, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
Why worry?   The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

The individual who hired Hill, Martin, Slocum, Wolf, and extended Heacock's contract is in charge....so we're good..right?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
The longer the search goes on it also hurts the recruiting efforts  of the 2015 class. Out of the 10 commits we have how many will stay or go? Alot of that depends witch assistant's are retained and if the new head coach wants to honor their verbals or bring players along with him or pick and chose what's left. The Juco dead line is this week I believe. I look for some high end Division 2 players to get offers at the last minute that normally wouldn't. The timing in this whole search is just unfortunate.

This should have been figured out before Wolford was fired.  This clearly shows lack of planning.   Having a list is not planning.  They should have had this all but finalized with estimated probabilities for multiple scenarios.   Instead we wait...we lose again with recruiting (didn't learn that lesson from when heacock was fired).  Unbelievable

I fully agree.  The odds of a win in Fargo were long.....anyone with foresight and vision would've started planning for the likely outcome.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »
If Strollo screws this up, time for him to go!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

The individual who hired Hill, Martin, Slocum, Wolf, and extended Heacock's contract is in charge....so we're good..right?

SPOT ON!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »

SPOT ON!

I'm not ready to dump on Strollo yet.  He originally said it could take a month or more (I don't have the exact quote), but the Pellini thing accelerated the time frame in everyone's mind and maybe his.  Finding an FCS coach is quite a bit different than finding a BCS coach. Strollo's failing is not managing expectations for the search, not the fact that the search isn't finished yet.

No recruiting crisis for players yet. FCS recruiting falls heavily in the month of January. This is because the HS kids are sitting around waiting for the call from FBS schools, and when they realize it might not come by February, the talks with the FCS get serious. Nothing happening in this search changes that.

I would like to point out it took 30 days to hire John Barnes. If you want to know what's going on in advance, some of the best moles are in HR, because they have to work up the formal contract. There's probably a low level clerk over there who knows more about what is happening than any of us.

I do think that we don't wait for Pellini to make up his mind.  I'm not buying this idea that sending his kids to Cardinal Mooney is a decisive factor for him. If he really is a candidate, he's playing us. The dirt on Pellini is a kind of hostility in his personality, and not every school is going want to deal with this.  Think Mangino without the slap.

Which brings us back to Mangino. If he's rehabilitated, then it's a decent idea. However, usually teams with a horrible record like Iowa State clean house right away, like one or two days after the last game. If they are cleaning house at ISU, it doesn't seem to be a priority, and if they planning to, their AD is screwing it up big time through inaction. Let's put ISU housing cleaning on the list of unconfirmed rumors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:33:38 AM by Spiderlegs »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Funny how everyone understands that you have to wait for the good recruits that "slip through the cracks" of the big-time programs. Yet, you do not think the same thing happens with coaches ...lol. Do you realize how much trouble the guys from EKU is because he interviewed with us? Coaches (even assistants) at quality bigger programs are getting their teams ready for bowl games & not worrying about interviewing.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Scott Bilo @BiloFootball  ·  Dec 11

After a ton of will he or won't he...Bo Pelini will be your new head football coach at #YoungstownState.

YSU is a great FCS gig for Pelini to rebound at. Penguins will likely win and challenge North Dakota State very quickly in MVC football.

Lots of credit to the #YoungstownState administration for going big in hiring of Pelini. That showed grit and a go for it attitude.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
Not sure about the credibility of the source but he seems pretty certain... Just like Football Scoop was.

kforbs126

« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »
The guy is claiming his sources are valid.  Never heard of him and only has 2k followers.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
The guy is claiming his sources are valid.  Never heard of him and only has 2k followers.
I was just on his website. He insisted that Pelini has accepted the YSU offer. It is being reviewed by the board. I don't how good he is. He sounds like he is absolutely sure about this. Anyone knows anything about this guy?