Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235672 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
As long as a coach is named soon and wins games with the talent we have returning, it should not be a problem who the coach is.
With that being said, whoever the coach is he had better make sure not to do what Wolf did and get rid of 80% of the former regime's players. That would be a bad look for that coach IMHO.
This is really a good post and I couldn't agree more. We need to keep our current staff and players intact..if the record is not broke don't try to fix it. This is a young team with tons of talent that is just beginning to learn how to win and make the critical plays when needed. The transition for the players to a head coach is hard enough let alone staff changes and in and out transfers..unity will be key here..and the next head coach needs to be on the same page with our current staff..We need our next head coach to be a great game manager and keep the players under control and the rest will take care of itself..Bottom line we need discipline installed in this program..out of the 5 losses how many could've been preventive from stupid mistakes that was not youth related? Well I can think of a few

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
As long as a coach is named soon and wins games with the talent we have returning, it should not be a problem who the coach is.
With that being said, whoever the coach is he had better make sure not to do what Wolf did and get rid of 80% of the former regime's players. That would be a bad look for that coach IMHO.
This is really a good post and I couldn't agree more. We need to keep our current staff and players intact..if the record is not broke don't try to fix it. This is a young team with tons of talent that is just beginning to learn how to win and make the critical plays when needed. The transition for the players to a head coach is hard enough let alone staff changes and in and out transfers..unity will be key here..and the next head coach needs to be on the same page with our current staff..We need our next head coach to be a great game manager and keep the players under control and the rest will take care of itself..Bottom line we need discipline installed in this program..out of the 5 losses how many could've been preventive from stupid mistakes that was not youth related? Well I can think of a few

The above is Highly Doubtful.  It's a world where the coach now believes the scheme and their cleverness is paramount to the actual talent and capability of the athletes they recruit, so they come up with these new cookie cutter offenses to dumb down the game, to make it easier to "scheme".   Unless they plan on unearthing Knute Rockne, Hank Stram or re-animating Mike Ditka, that will never happen.
Its not about actual coaching anymore, its about out-smarting instead of out-playing, out-hitting or out husseling the other team.  Its about recruiting to fit your scheme, rather than your scheme fitting the best players at your disposal.  Since the scheme is the most important thing the new HC "has" to clean house, to make sure everyone is loyal to their way of doing things, and will all agree that his idea is the smartest in the room.  But don't worry, the old staff will land on their feet.  Football is the worlds greatest recycler.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
Observer believe me I know exactly what your saying. It's a matter if J.T. and company want to remain competitive or struggle for a few years it's that simple..this is not the N.F.L. or a top 5 B.C.S. program where you can shuffle coaches and players in and out and not have much of a drop-off..we shall see

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
Football scoop is thinking this is the group.

Don Treadwell
Brian Wright
Dave Warner
Mark Snyder
Vince Marrow
Trent Boykin
Rick Shepas

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »

Don Treadwell
Brian Wright
Dave Warner
Mark Snyder
Vince Marrow
Trent Boykin
Rick Shepas
This was posted already on page 6.

Nonetheless, you can wipe Marrow off the list it appears:
@TheWildcatLair: Report: Vince Marrow says he is not interested in Youngstown State job http://t.co/w0jNTIJRYk

I'm not too sure Boykin is a serious contender either. There are a few additional names that are in the running as well.

Also, when researching Narduzzi's salary, I noticed Dave Warner got a nice raise which puts him about $100k ahead of what he'd make here:

http://archive.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20140225/GW01/302250046/MSU-nearly-doubles-pay-Dantonio-Narduzzi

Warner went from $270,000 to $379,167 a year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:42:25 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
If Jim Bollman becomes our head coach............  :'(

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
My goodness, DoubleE, where did you get that name from?  These rumors are getting way, way, way out of hand.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »
@VindySports: Most of the candidates for the YSU football job have a connection to Jim Tressel. @JoeScalzo1 updates the search.

http://t.co/yA1ADxYqd9

Spiderlegs

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »

Don Treadwell
Brian Wright
Dave Warner
Mark Snyder
Vince Marrow
Trent Boykin
Rick Shepas

Some sportswriters thrive on the sharing of speculation as fact. Let's not make much of these things unless we hear something more concrete.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
  Dave Warner is the only one on the list who would be an upgrade from Coach Wolford.  Somewhat disappointing that we can't attract someone who is not connected to Tressel.   Snyder just fired, and losing record as head coach at Marshall; Treadwell a disaster as head coach at Miami of Ohio, why would we want to hire someone who failed elsewhere as a head coach?

Amazing that this job can't attract better candidates.   WHen we hired Wolford he was an offensive line coach, can't we get at least a coordinator?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
  Dave Warner is the only one on the list who would be an upgrade from Coach Wolford.  Somewhat disappointing that we can't attract someone who is not connected to Tressel.   Snyder just fired, and losing record as head coach at Marshall; Treadwell a disaster as head coach at Miami of Ohio, why would we want to hire someone who failed elsewhere as a head coach?

Amazing that this job can't attract better candidates.   WHen we hired Wolford he was an offensive line coach, can't we get at least a coordinator?

To be fair, Mark Stoops agreed to be the coach last time until Florida State offered him the D-Coordinator job last minute, so Wolf was our backup choice...

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
Scalzo said Shepas, Boykin and Wright have already been interviewed... Could those 3 be at the top?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »
Idk what to think about Shepas. He had success at Massillon, Poland, and currently at Waynesburg... But does he have enough to do it at this high of a level??? Plus I believe his wife is the head women's lacrosse coach at Wayneburg. That might affect thing.

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
Scalzo said Shepas, Boykin and Wright have already been interviewed... Could those 3 be at the top?

I like them all. But, can Mr. Scalzo find out if the university contacted Mark Pelini? He was fired at Nebraska University. Yeah, does not make sense he did pretty well there, but the university wanted better. Tressel came back to YSU, to help YSU get back on its feet. Maybe Coach Pelini will want to back home and help the YSU football team get back on its feet. I think  Coach Pelini and his son,  both played at Cardinal Mooney. I think Coach Pelini was an assistant or something at big ole Ohio State.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

I like them all. But, can Mr. Scalzo find out if the university contacted Mark Pelini? He was fired at Nebraska University. Yeah, does not make sense he did pretty well there, but the university wanted better. Tressel came back to YSU, to help YSU get back on its feet. Maybe Coach Pelini will want to back home and help the YSU football team get back on its feet. I think  Coach Pelini and his son,  both played at Cardinal Mooney. I think Coach Pelini was an assistant or something at big ole Ohio State.

Bo Pelini, and yes he was contacted and has no interest in YSU.