Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237427 times)

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
It's funny to think if one or more players make just one play in multiple game's this year and pick up that one win we are in the playoffs and not even having this discussion. I've looked at the list and I'm not impressed. I was split on wolford 50/50..I feel for 250 k  he was a quality coach and great recruiter on this level. Good luck to any coach entering this program and getting that elusive 8th or 9th win to take Y.S.U. to the promise land for 250 k a year...

I agree with this part of your analysis.

"It is funny to me that:
 - Coach Wolf gets on the hot seat after continued progress season after season...pressure from fans and administration.
 - He continually improves the team (yes, I understand the lack of playoffs...but my eyes see improvement we were losing games on the last play in year 3.  Did he win to quickly and thus 7-5 in year 5 was a bad thing?
 - Less fans in the stands (they don't like the coach and its been cold outside of September)
 - No playoffs and the staff gets the ax."

Z, what I don't find funny or progress is the fact that his teams went on losing streaks in each of the last 3 seasons that cost him the playoffs.  If that's progress, YSU should do away with its football program.

What I don't find funny or progress is the fact that his failure to develop players is the most glaring weakness of his legacy.  Yes, they weren't losing on the last play.  They just failed to step up when the program NEEDED a single win.  Multiple times, in multiple years and in multiple games. 

What I don't find funny or progress is the fact that less people in the stands had more to do with his lack of winning a big game than who HE is.  Inevitably each year fans knew there would be month where YSU would go 0-fer.  Regardless of how people feel about Eric Wolford's personality, if he won that 1 or 2 games that he needed to each year, this wouldn't be a discussion.  He would still be the head coach.

For the one-millionth time, YSU under Eric Wolford did not progress, nor did it improve as a whole.  When you make the same mistakes every year, lose 3 straight games every year, fail to adjust during games, etc., you get removed.  That is the nature of the beast.

I understand that we were very streaky.  This year we ended the season with the top three teams in the Massey index.  It was a very tough road.  Questions arise..and yes we should have won even one of those games to prove that we were a quality team.  Do you expect that change to occur overnight?  In one off-season? Two?  I take the later opinion of gradual change in that area.  When a coach notices the streaky tendency...yes he needs to adjust his style of play and mentoring...but also his recruiting tactics on the type of player that he wants.  I think this years freshman and sophomore crop could change our (I hate to keep using the word but) "streaky" tendencies.

Separately without regard to his time he and progressing or regressing the university...it is awkward to me that Wolf fits the exact bill of what we (this forum) are looking for as a coach not.  Truely, should that theory not have allowed him some additional time?  If you did not like his personality...and the loss at Missouri State to end year 3 and miss they playoffs then get rid of him then.  If you were happy with the progress at that point, and based upon the last two years...I see reason to keep him for at least two more.  Again...this point of view is from what i have read here and it seems to me that Wolf's resume fits the mold of what most are looking for.

I wish our two man search committee the best of luck in finding a great replacement. 

Z

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
Scalzo with some updates:

Joe Scalzo @JoeScalzo1  ·  16m 16 minutes ago
I know YSU likes Brian Wright but there's a little bit of a question of whether he has the personality to be a head coach. He's a good OC.

Joe Scalzo @JoeScalzo1  ·  6m 6 minutes ago
Couple other YSU possibilities: Purdue DB coach Taver Johnson (coached with Tress at OSU) and OSU RB coach Stan Drayton.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
@joescalzo1: Couple other YSU possibilities: Purdue DB coach Taver Johnson (coached with Tress at OSU) and OSU RB coach Stan Drayton.

I would not be surprised if a B1G assistant gets this job. Also, I do not see Treadwell getting this position.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:17:00 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Doesn't appear to be merit to any of the names.  It looks like stabbing in the dark. The speculation is quickly turning into a joke.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:15:56 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
Well, football scoop reported that Strollo has been doing interviews. Hopefully a decision is made by next week.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
I respect FootballScoop and what they do. I also trust their judgment on the candidates. He seems to believe we have a very good cast of potential head coaches on here.

I think some of you need to realize Fickell and some other high level assistants were never a reasonable proposition with the salary level YSU is currently at.

I can assure you Strollo, and to an extent Tressel, are weighing all options, reaching out to their colleagues at other schools, and gathering that input to make the top choice.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
@joescalzo1: Bottom line with YSU: Nothing seems imminent. Still some secret candidates out there. Don't see them hiring anyone from D2/D3 ranks.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »
Mike Tressel, is that a joke?  While it would be a very Youngstown-ish decision, they gotta be smarter than that right?  If that does happen, I see the choke chain on the entire administration of YSU athletic and otherwise, very very short and thick.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
What about David Dean of D2's Valdosta State?  5 playoff appearances and 2 NCs in 8 years.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Mike Tressel, is that a joke?  While it would be a very Youngstown-ish decision, they gotta be smarter than that right?  If that does happen, I see the choke chain on the entire administration of YSU athletic and otherwise, very very short and thick.
I am curious of FootballScoop's other 2 names.

My view on Mike Tressel, if he is a serious candidate for this job, the fact his uncle is President shouldn't remove him from consideration. With that being said, it will certainly look very Youngstown-esque. However, again, if he has the qualities of a head coach, I would not mind him interviewing. However, I do not want him solely based on the simple fact his last name is Tressel.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:46:40 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2014, 12:41:50 PM »
What about David Dean of D2's Valdosta State?  5 playoff appearances and 2 NCs in 8 years.

I don't see anybody from D3 or D3 getting the job to be honest.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
On the matter of salary, from discussions on the national board about the Montana vacancy, it appears that Montana only pays about 164k while neighboring Eastern Washington shells out about 152k.  Leads one to think that YSU is near the top of the FCS salary pyramid.  Any coach searching for an opportunity on the FCS level would be foolish to ignore our "package" (high FCS salary, facilities, tradition, chance to work for Tressel.)

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
I thought maybe Mark Pelini who played at Cardinal Mooney would come back to this area. But, my cousin said he was paid three million to coach at Nebraska University. She also said most of the assistant coaches he had were paid around $250,000 yeah dollars, each. Hmmmmm I guess maybe the guy from Mount Union would be a good coach. I wonder how much he would want to coach at YSU?

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
On the matter of salary, from discussions on the national board about the Montana vacancy, it appears that Montana only pays about 164k while neighboring Eastern Washington shells out about 152k.  Leads one to think that YSU is near the top of the FCS salary pyramid.  Any coach searching for an opportunity on the FCS level would be foolish to ignore our "package" (high FCS salary, facilities, tradition, chance to work for Tressel.)

I did some searching as well.  ISU(r) coach is at $268K, SIU is $221K and WIU is $207K.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
As long as a coach is named soon and wins games with the talent we have returning, it should not be a problem who the coach is.
With that being said, whoever the coach is he had better make sure not to do what Wolf did and get rid of 80% of the former regime's players. That would be a bad look for that coach IMHO.