Author Topic: Guins vs. Coyotes  (Read 39099 times)

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. Coyotes
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
Agreed on this. Ysu does a very poor job at getting media excited/interested in ysu athletics.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
Bashing people because they follow one high school program or another isn't going to help the cause. High school football is big here. It always has been and that isn't likely to change. YSU isn't competing against the local high schools. There is room for prep football and college football in the Valley. One doesn't negate the other.

Similarly, YSU and Ohio State aren't in competition. What people forget is that during the 1990s, when YSU was winning titles, there was a huge level of OSU fatigue because the Buckeyes were busy underachieving. People knew OSU was as talented as any team in the country, but you could bet they'd lose a game or two they had no business losing. People got tired of it.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I don't think the valley has this large level of high school football attendance as they think. I know it's impossible for anyone to get correct figures, but Ursuline or mooney aren't getting over 5k at games at Stambaugh. No matter how much their fans shout or holler that they do, they don't. But that's a different story, for a different day.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
I don't think the valley has this large level of high school football attendance as they think. I know it's impossible for anyone to get correct figures, but Ursuline or mooney aren't getting over 5k at games at Stambaugh. No matter how much their fans shout or holler that they do, they don't. But that's a different story, for a different day.

No, there isn't any one school with enormous attendance. And yes, even when Mooney and Ursuline are at Stambaugh, the place looks empty. But each program in the Valley, especially those that win, draw their crowds.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2014, 07:11:49 AM »
Agreed, I asked this question to a couple local players when I was up this weekend, and they said it is a pretty poor turnout for the High School games as well. Even the rivalries.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »
Bashing people because they follow one high school program or another isn't going to help the cause. High school football is big here. It always has been and that isn't likely to change. YSU isn't competing against the local high schools. There is room for prep football and college football in the Valley. One doesn't negate the other.  Similarly, YSU and Ohio State aren't in competition.

I honestly would be interested in your opinion as to what YSU needs to do to boost attendance - aside from win.
If they are in one of the toughest conferences, the will face some L's.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
Bashing people because they follow one high school program or another isn't going to help the cause. High school football is big here. It always has been and that isn't likely to change. YSU isn't competing against the local high schools. There is room for prep football and college football in the Valley. One doesn't negate the other.  Similarly, YSU and Ohio State aren't in competition.

I honestly would be interested in your opinion as to what YSU needs to do to boost attendance - aside from win.

Winning, of course, is the main thing. It's the one thing that will make people want to be part of the program. That's why the 1990s teams were so popular. They gave the Valley something to be proud of and to rally around.

Another way is to have a dominating player, such as Steve McNair was at Alcorn State. A guy like that will draw crowds, but it doesn't last. When was the last time anyone thought about Alcorn State? YSU has had all sorts of good and great players, but the Penguins' best teams never had a McNair. They won with a team concept.

It always comes back to winning, doesn't it? The truth is, only sustained success will provide a significant boost, unless you're handing out $100 bills at the gate. There is no quick fix that will fill the stadium for the next home date. But even as I type that, I am reminded that I've seen people line up two hours in advance for our YSU ticket giveaway at the Canfield Fair. So some people really want to go to YSU football games. Is it just that they want to go for free? I think YSU football is still a bargain.

I will say this: I may not have a ready solution to the attendance problem, but I am absolutely sure that cutting off media access to practice isn't it. Aside from winning, getting to know players and coaches is the only other thing I can think of that will help. Well, how does that happen? It could be that a skilled interviewer who asks good questions and learns interesting, quirky things about people — and knows football — is just the sort of person who can help fans get to know the people in the program and generate the interest YSU says it craves.

But hey, what do I know? The fact is, you're the first person who asked what I thought. I do appreciate that.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »

I will say this: I may not have a ready solution to the attendance problem, but I am absolutely sure that cutting off media access to practice isn't it. Aside from winning, getting to know players and coaches is the only other thing I can think of that will help. Well, how does that happen? It could be that a skilled interviewer who asks good questions and learns interesting, quirky things about people — and knows football — is just the sort of person who can help fans get to know the people in the program and generate the interest YSU says it craves.

Thank you very much for your comment.  One more question if you don't mind.  If you had more media access to players, how much space could be allocated for that in print?  Weekly column of an interview?  I know that space is limited and as soon as you devote more to YSU, then someone else gets their nose twisted if they don't get the coverage the feel has gone to YSU.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 01:20:42 AM »

I agree with you on that ScarletRook, We play in the toughest conference in the FCS, we are going to face tough teams all year and we are not going to win every single game. On any given saturday you can lose, you are not guaranteed any victory in the MVFC. 
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
Ed:

Familiarity is bread. It can be difficult for the media to push YSU (athletics) on the Valley, but eventually it will work out. Look at "Rolling Radio" as your example. If that beast was sitting in M27 lot and the 5th-quarter show was outside after every game ...even park it up outside of Beeghly for basketball post-game ...just think about what this does. How about an onsite tailgate cooking show with contests every single week on TV, with the winner receiving  tailgate, season and individual game tickets? How about the tailgate lot bands being recorded & played on local cable access in exchange for YSU signage and a description? The Vindy setting up a tent in nice, but it is the football game that causes the crowd and the games (contests) that draws the crowd to your tent.

Does anyone else ever wonder why the tailgate lots are not wired for PA? All the events going on and people in the lot do not even know. I have told countless numbers of families in M24 that the kids games are down in M7 ...there should be announcements and advertising that tell them this every game.

In the mean time, it requires resources and generates little to no revenue.

I live and work in Columbus. Clearly the Bucks are money for anyone that can associate themselves with them. At the office, our people are permitted to dress casual for football Fridays. Of course, everyone wears "Buckeye garb". I always wear "Penguin garb" and since it was red, most thought I was wearing OSU attire. At a meeting, they noticed my red was actually Penguin attire and commented. My quote is always the same ...I drive past the shoe every fall Friday to go to my football game.

Yet, you cannot watch any program (even in prime time) that you do not see OSU athletic commercials (even if they are CoOp with Kroger). Every station has regularly-scheduled dedicated programming (that is not the event), the paper has a dedicated section.

Obviously Youngstown is not the largest city in Ohio, but we do not have to act like the smallest.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
Does anyone else ever wonder why the tailgate lots are not wired for PA?

My understanding is this will be an important issue when Nate Adams is gone and his parents are no longer tailgating.  There is a lot of improvement that could be made for, what appears to be, very little money.