Author Topic: Guins vs. Coyotes  (Read 38966 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Guins vs. Coyotes
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:57 AM »
Well it is Thursday and we have not begun to predict. We always have trouble with these guys so I am going 34-27 good guys.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
34-17 Y.S.U. in dry conditions. 21-10 Y.S.U. in less then favorable  conditions. I think the team learned it's lesson from the Western  Illinois game and will be ready this time around.

kforbs126

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
Wish I could be at this game.  2 days too early as I'm moving from San Diego to Columbus starting today.  A very good friend of mine that I met in the Navy played for South Dakota and now works with athletic training staff.  Always good to talk MVC with someone out here. 

**Edit because I wrote played for San Diego***
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:17:53 PM by kforbs126 »

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
First Post ever.
Penguins come out guns blazing and show the Coyotes the same type of butt whooping they were shown last week vs NDSU. According to the weather, no snow is on the forecast for game time. That should bode well for the Guins. South Dakota is another one of those dome teams, so playing in cold weather might pose a challenge for them.

Final Score:
Penguins: 42
Coyotes: 24

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
Another big day from Hunter Wells. Proving Paladin wrong even more. The typical Paladin "I told you so" post will come after the Illinois State game.

YSU 44
USD 14

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »
This South Dakota team took Montana to the wire.  They are desperate for a win and match up well with the us.  I think it is going to be close.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
There is no reason for this game to even be close. This ought to be a game where the starters are off the field by the end of the 3rd qtr.

South Dakota is in the bottom half of the MVFC in all but 4 categories. And, in several categories, they are 9th or 10th.

The only statistical categories in which SDSU is in the top 5 for MVFC games are:
Kickoff Returns - 5th(20.1 yards per return)
FG Percentage - Tied 1st... 4-4
Penalties - 3rd (19 penalties in 4 games for 178 yds..avg per game of 44.5 yds

SD is last in the following categories:
Scoring Offense - 11.2ppg
Scoring Defense - 36.5ppg
Rushing Defense - 242.5ppg
Total Defense - 455.5 yds per game
Pass Efficiency Defense - 142.8
Punt Return Avg - Negative 1.5 yards... 4 returns for -6 yards
PAT Kicking Percentage - 75%(3 of 4)
Ints - ZERO
Sacks - 1 for 6 yards(.25 per game... the 1st sack came last week)
Kickoff Coverage - 31.5 net avg
4th Down Conversion Percentage - 28.6% (2 for 7)
Turnover Margin - 0 To's Gained, 6 To's lost... -6 for the season and -1.5 per game
Red Zone Defense - 94.7% conversion rate for opponents... 18 of 19, with 10 Td's and 8 Fg's

I have no idea how this team stayed close with Montana. In 4 MVFC games, SD has been outscored 146 - 45. This is just a bad football team. There is no nice way to put it. This team is just bad. I have no doubt they will play hard, but effort is not going to be enough for SD  to win. YSU might, PLEASE notice I said MIGHT, find a way to lose, but I see no way ND can win.

YSU 38
SD 10

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »
We are halfway through the season and conference-only statistics become very meaningful.  As Let's Talk outlined, South Dakota is bad at just about everything.  What really strikes me is the 242 yards they give up against the run.  I expect a conservative game plan which will match up well with the expected miserable weather. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
There is no reason for this game to even be close. This ought to be a game where the starters are off the field by the end of the 3rd qtr.

South Dakota is in the bottom half of the MVFC in all but 4 categories. And, in several categories, they are 9th or 10th.

The only statistical categories in which SDSU is in the top 5 for MVFC games are:
Kickoff Returns - 5th(20.1 yards per return)
FG Percentage - Tied 1st... 4-4
Penalties - 3rd (19 penalties in 4 games for 178 yds..avg per game of 44.5 yds

SD is last in the following categories:
Scoring Offense - 11.2ppg
Scoring Defense - 36.5ppg
Rushing Defense - 242.5ppg
Total Defense - 455.5 yds per game
Pass Efficiency Defense - 142.8
Punt Return Avg - Negative 1.5 yards... 4 returns for -6 yards
PAT Kicking Percentage - 75%(3 of 4)
Ints - ZERO
Sacks - 1 for 6 yards(.25 per game... the 1st sack came last week)
Kickoff Coverage - 31.5 net avg
4th Down Conversion Percentage - 28.6% (2 for 7)
Turnover Margin - 0 To's Gained, 6 To's lost... -6 for the season and -1.5 per game
Red Zone Defense - 94.7% conversion rate for opponents... 18 of 19, with 10 Td's and 8 Fg's

I have no idea how this team stayed close with Montana. In 4 MVFC games, SD has been outscored 146 - 45. This is just a bad football team. There is no nice way to put it. This team is just bad. I have no doubt they will play hard, but effort is not going to be enough for SD  to win. YSU might, PLEASE notice I said MIGHT, find a way to lose, but I see no way ND can win.

YSU 38
SD 10

I haven't seen our team smoke anyone this year.  They have played everyone relatively close.  YSU should have beaten WIU and did not.   The last two years the games have come down to the wire.  Nothing tells me this year will be any different.  While I would like to see a dominating game, I do think it will be very close. 

South Dakota beat Northern Arizona who is ranked.  I understand there isn't much placed into transitive wins, but NAU beat Eastern Washington, Cal Poly and Portland State.   South Dakota is not a bad football team by any stretch of the imagination.  They are exceptionally young and things are starting to unravel for them a bit, but they are still better than most teams in the FCS and they are very dangerous.

Sat, Aug 30 @

#3 Oregon
 L
62-13
 0-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 6 vs
William Penn
 W
41-16
 1-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 13 @

Montana
 L
28-20
 1-2 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 20 vs

N Arizona
 W
28-21
 2-2 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 4 @

S Illinois
 L
41-10
 2-3 (0-1)
Sat, Oct 11 vs

Northern Iowa
 L
27-16
 2-4 (0-2)
Sat, Oct 18 @

Missouri State
 L
31-12
 2-5 (0-3)
Sat, Oct 25 vs

North Dakota St
 L
47-7
 2-6 (0-4)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
This game shouldn't be close. On paper, YSU is heads and shoulders above them. Pre-season this was picked as a win.  YSU, 35-10

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
YSU needs a blow out win. I agree USD is no slouch, but I think Wells comes out throwing early.

YSU 41
USD 17

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
In games like this, focus is key. These guys nearly knocked off Montana earlier this year and gave UNI a scare too, trailing just 20-16 midway thru the 4th quarter. I saw them in person last year in Vermillion, SD and they were tough and we struggled to stop them on defense. I do believe our defense is stronger, but it is key to get pressure on their QB and preserve the ball.

We fumbled 3 times last year and had a lot of missed assignments on defense. Hold onto the ball and control the TOP, we will win.

YSU 35
USD 14

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
The weather conditions could be a big factor with the South Dakota game. Could be dropped passes, fumbles and penalties. The poor weather will not draw many fans. If, SDU has a fair QB, he will gain many yards on YSU's pass defense. All in all, YSU will prevail.

YSU   31
SDU   17 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:42 PM »
I cannot believe some of the comments I am reading. We are not the coaching staff. We are not the players. No reason for any of us to be doing the whole "this team plays hard...this team put a scare into Montana, this team is well coached, this team eats steak every day, they will bring their "A" game"....

South Dakota is a bad team. They are 2-6/0-4. I provided the multitude of categories in which they are 10th in the MVFC. This team has ONE sack and and has created ZERO turnovers in 4 MVFC games. They score 11 pts per game and allow 36.

As for Montana, they are getting to a point of starting to live off past reputation. Same with UNI. Montana is 5-3 and still has to play Montana State and EWU. The balance of power has shifted in recent years in the Big Sky. Yes, Montana is still a good program, but EWU is now the best team in the Big Sky, and MSU may well have passed Montana as best team in Montana.

UNI is no longer the power of the MVFC. They are slowly going backwards. This is likely going to be another non playoff season for UNI.

Here are the scores of the 4 games SD has played in MVFC:
SIU 41 - SD 10
UNI 27 - SD 16
MSU 31 - SD 12
NDSU 47 - SD 7

The closest loss was to UNI at home, and that was by 11 points. Of these 4 teams, it is likely NDSU will be the only playoff team, and you can see they had no problem at all with SD. If YSU has hopes of being a playoff team and being able to actually win 1 or more games in the playoffs, this is a game they ought to win by 20 pts or more.

SD has the worst run defense in the conference, and YSU has 2 excellent RB's. I know the weather is going to be rainy and cold. This ought to be a game where YSU does not have to throw often. Run, run, run and mix in an occasional pass. Both of YSU's running backs are hard to tackle once getting past the line of scrimmage.

There is NO REASON for the YSU defense to have any trouble with SD. Not if they plan on being able to have success at ISU, at NDSU and home against Indy State.

The ONLY reason for this game to be close is if YSU does not show up to give 100%, and/or is not focused on SD, and instead looking forward to the last 3 games. YSU is just better in all phases of the game. I see no reason that YSU cannot get ahead by 24-28 pts by the end of the 3rd qtr, if not sooner, and then coast home. Again, we are talking about a YSU team that has plans on making the playoffs, winning 1 or more games in the playoffs, and possibly even winning the MVFC. Such a team ought not have any trouble at all with SD.

Several of you like the Massey Ratings. Well, SD is 56th in FCS Massey Ratings. To put that in perspective, Duquesne is 50th and Sacred Heart is 47th. Jacksonville of the PFL is 49th.

No reason at all for this to be a close game by the time it gets to 3rd and 4th qtr. If it is close at that point, it will not be a good sign for YSU going forward to the final 3 games of the year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
Just watch the game. You willook see how well they play us