Author Topic: Hunter Wells today!!!  (Read 39401 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter Wells today!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
My point is he was passed over because he makes lots of mistakes ( fumbles, INTs and doesn't handle pressure well). Montgomery is keeping him on a short leash with simple short throws. The league will catch on to that, take it away and YSU will be done with a QB who is no longer a threat. Enjoy the win. Yep he is strictly a passing QB and when they jump on that............................

Think otherwise ? Stay tuned then. It just getting started.  Grab some popcorn.

Hunter is a power offense qb. Not a read oprion sissy.  He made some excelent throws today. They were outstanding.   How can you spew this crap? He is waaaaaaay better than Hess or any other qb we've had in the last 20 yrs.  And he is only a freshman.   What kind of crack are you smoking?   He is fantastic.  He put the ball where nobody could get to it on multiple throws
I think Pally you full of crap. Our offense is based on short throws..Hess couldn't throw a long ball never looked off a reciever..Wells had thrown more long balls in 7 games than Hess did in 4 yrs...Hess was an average system QB.  As for why the Big Schools backed off who gives a sh** their loss..the kid dominated his last 2 yrs and to belittle Stark County football shows your stupidity. .you said that Hunter had no arm strength. ..he DOES.. we didn't get lucky today thats another bullsh** lie...WE Were the Better team...He led them and got the W...not bad for a weak skinny armed mistake prone QB.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »
You witnessed indefensible passes today. Exciting

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »
Hunter Wells is a very nice QB. Sure he makes mistakes, EVERY QB in the country makes mistakes. Plus, he is a true freshman. He seems to have alot of composure for a Freshman. And he seems to do a good job of leading the team when he is on the field.

I do agree that he is a passing QB who is not much of a threat to run. The thing is, YSU has 2 very good Running backs, so they do not need a running QB. Especially given YSU also has several quality receivers. I do not know how the final 5 games will play out, but in my opinion, Hunter Wells gives YSU the best possibility of winning NOW. And, it is easy to see he has the potential to be a very good QB over the course of his career, barring serious injury or illness.

It is also nice to have a capable QB in Dante Nania as the backup if Wells were to get injured.

Paladin, I like reading your posts most of the time. I like that you give your opinions, and you provide alot of insight with your posts. The one thing that bothers me is you seem to have a hard time admitting when you are wrong as far as projecting how a player will do, or how the team will do in a given game or an entire season. There are plenty of times you are right, but there are also times you are wrong. Would just be nice if you could admit when you are wrong. There is not a single person in this world who is correct all of the time.

Nice post but my wife does agree with your last sentence.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
REspect ?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hilarious. No one respected my calls for losing years when I first came on here.   And lose they did to everyone's  chagrin.  Back to back when everyone was predicting winning seasons with the "great" coach H. Did they respect my opinion when I told everyone the talent level was falling and YSU resorted to running a H.S. O making itself look ridiculous while the season record dropped year by year ?  I was early claiming  Heacock couldn't recruit and was a poor HC. Cat calls left and right. THey final canned a coach   I warned about YEARS early. Respect ?

Grab some popcorn. I don't give a damn for any respect here because most are a day   LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT IN THEIR   OUTLOOK HERE. No one showed any respect when I was proven right time after time  after time.  Time is on my side. Remember what you are all saying now !  ;D
Yes, you were right some of the time. However, you were also wrong as many times that you were right.
You know what. My wife does not know a damn thing about football. She could flip a coin to get 50%.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
From Wick on another thread:
Let's be sure to give credit to the offensive line.  SIU had the reputation for a quality pass rush.  The line gave Wells ample time and, I think, only one holding penalty.  Very well done indeed.  Amazing composure for a true freshman.  Particularly impressive was the way he rebounded after the interception. 

Agree...even with the loss of Colucci for this game, the protection was good.
Taking nothing away from Hunter, but the play calling last night would have fit in very well for Dante too.
Amazing how Stubbs was open almost all night.  I thought Christian was open several times, but must have been the 3rd or 4th receiver in progression.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
I'm not ready to declare Wells the next Aaron Rodgers, but there's no question he has won the position. Nania did absolutely nothing with his opportunities the past two weeks. Yes, Wells can't run, but Nania the runner didn't do anything, so I think the run thing is a moot point. Besides, we already have good runners on this team without Nania--we need a passer, and Wells gives us that. I don't care if SDSU slices him up next week--Wells won the job.

What was intriguing is that Wells didn't panic under pressure. His actions can be anticipated in that you can see him visually checking off his receivers has he moves from his primary target to his secondary ones, but there was a kind of patience to let the play develop and confidence in the WRs that is missing in Nania.

I'm not going to complain about the mix of passes at all. Montgomery mixed up the plays well, and the WRs did a good job getting open.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
I think Wells has a long way to go; but he is going to be something special. He seems to have to remember to step up into his protection. which is odd for a pocket guy. Then again this is DI, and the pocket moves. Remember that Monty's schema does require a mobile QB, so this has to come. Without it, we lack the run options that gave Hess' offense so much success. I was very happy that Montgomery had Wells pick off small pieces last night. It gave us long sustained drives.

Great point on Agnew leaving the game ...he could have crushed us. Big, strong and fast ...we need that. Oh well, winning is as much about being lucky, as it is about being good. Also great point on those read option plays. Monty called them several times and they never worked with any consistency. Works very well with Nania though. Then again, Wells does not need to be that far outside to pass; but I hope he is not too uncomfortable that it never comes. So I can see why Nania won the job, but I can equally see why Wells has taken it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:37:59 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
I think Wells has a long way to go; but he is going to be something special. He seems to have to remember to step up into his protection. which is odd for a pocket guy. Then again this is DI, and the pocket moves. Remember that Monty's schema does require a mobile QB, so this has to come. Without it, we lack the run options that gave Hess' offense so much success. I was very happy that Montgomery had Wells pick off small pieces last night. It gave us long sustained drives.

Great point on Agnew leaving the game ...he could have crushed us. Big, strong and fast ...we need that. Oh well, winning is as much about being lucky, as it is about being good. Also great point on those read option plays. Monty called them several times and they never worked with any consistency. Works very well with Nania though. Then again, Wells does not need to be that far outside to pass; but I hope he is not too uncomfortable that it never comes. So I can see why Nania won the job, but I can equally see why Wells has taken it.

It's on Montgomery to change his scheme. Wells is not a runner, and never will be a runner.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
Monty ??? Are we in love ? :o

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »
I felt Wells was very well schooled so I did some digging after the game. It turns out he has been mentored by former all-American quarterback Jim Ballard of Mount Union over the course of his high school career. His father has also been an assistant with Fairless H.S. for a number of years as well. With over 1,000 pass attempts in H.S. it's  obviously he comes off his 1st and 2nd reads very quickly and takes what the defense gives him. In the face of a blitz he's one of those intelligent Qb's who will make you pay dearly . I have know problem with Nania being named the starter for the Illinois game. Wells should've been named the starter for the Duquesne game. The staff has lost basically 4 games of experience that could be very important as we continue the M.V.C. grind !!!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
I did not say he had to be a running qb. I just said that he has to develop his mobility

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
I felt Wells was very well schooled so I did some digging after the game. It turns out he has been mentored by former all-American quarterback Jim Ballard of Mount Union over the course of his high school career. His father has also been an assistant with Fairless H.S. for a number of years as well. With over 1,000 pass attempts in H.S. it's  obviously he comes off his 1st and 2nd reads very quickly and takes what the defense gives him. In the face of a blitz he's one of those intelligent Qb's who will make you pay dearly . I have know problem with Nania being named the starter for the Illinois game. Wells should've been named the starter for the Duquesne game. The staff has lost basically 4 games of experience that could be very important as we continue the M.V.C. grind !!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I expect a lot more from Wells than what he learned from some future D-III quarterback.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
That D3 qb played 10 yrs of professional Football in one form or other and probably a better QB than you think..I have said before that the YSU coaching staff in their opinion said this kid is special.  If that kid was 25 Lbs heavier he wouldnt be here..I watched the replay after attending the game ...the kid is a gunslinger.  Lets hope we can protect him and build the O to his strengths.  I watched our young line do a good job and we forget we are only starting 3 or 4 Seniors. We are not far from being good.

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
That D3 qb played 10 yrs of professional Football in one form or other and probably a better QB than you think..I have said before that the YSU coaching staff in their opinion said this kid is special.  If that kid was 25 Lbs heavier he wouldnt be here..I watched the replay after attending the game ...the kid is a gunslinger.  Lets hope we can protect him and build the O to his strengths.  I watched our young line do a good job and we forget we are only starting 3 or 4 Seniors. We are not far from being good.

I saw Jim Ballard play in college. Not a stretch at all to think he could have played I-AA football. Had the size (6-3, 220) and arm strength. Passed for 12,000-plus yards more than 150 touchdowns.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
paladin - What is your purpose on this board? You say you are right about everything? What exactly have you been correct about?

You said Patrick Angle was the QB of the future - WRONG
You said Michigan State was a bottom big 10 team last year - WRONG
You said Hunter Wells is not a good QB - WRONG
Last year you made a post that our athletics department as a whole, is poor - WRONG (2nd best in the Horizon)
You made a post saying out tennis program was poor - WRONG (Tennis won the Horizon League)

YSU had the 2nd best athletics program in the Horizon League last year.

Six Conference Championships in 2013-14.

Track and Field athletes placed nationally at the NCAA meet.

YSU track and Field program finished in the top 30 overall nationally.

Baseball team won a NCAA tournament game.

Women's Tennis became the only other team not named UIC to make the NCAA tournament in the last 15 years.

Soccer is competitive and now beats or ties Big 10 programs.

Volleyball is in first place in the conference.

Softball is competitive.

Women's basketball on pace to win 20 games this season.

Men's basketball has a solid group of young players.

Our facilities are the best in the Horizon League, and some of the best in the state.

My question, what did Ron Strollo do to you? Did he steal your lunch money as a kid? Girlfriend? Pass you over for a job?

Why not come out and just say what your real beef is. Instead of saying all these B.S. remarks that make you look stupid.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating