Author Topic: Hunter Wells today!!!  (Read 39428 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter Wells today!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
Paladan you may be right over the course of time but a broken clock is right twice a day. I'm going to give Wells his due since he has played better than I thought and he's the best qb on scholarship.  He's made all the throws against SDSU and I rather look at the good than speculate what might or might not happen down the road.   I'm sure he might struggle during this season but how many true frosh are ready at the next level ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:18:58 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Here is mine.  If what we have seen so far from Wells indicates a bad arm, I will take it.  If remaining composed in the pocket and searching for alternate receivers when necessary is all Wells can do, I will take it.  If throwing two touchdown passes, running for a touchdown, throwing no picks, not fumbling, and botching no handoffs is all Wells can do, I will take it.  If going 4 for 5 on a critical fourth quarter drive, including a pinpoint accurate td pass is all Wells can do, I will take it.

Illinois State and Indiana State play good defense (NDSU goes without saying.)  A true freshman INEVITABLY will struggle some in those environments.  That is when he must get assistance from the rest of his teammates on offense and defense.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Here is mine.  If what we have seen so far from Wells indicates a bad arm, I will take it.  If remaining composed in the pocket and searching for alternate receivers when necessary is all Wells can do, I will take it.  If throwing two touchdown passes, running for a touchdown, throwing no picks, not fumbling, and botching no handoffs is all Wells can do, I will take it.  If going 4 for 5 on a critical fourth quarter drive, including a pinpoint accurate td pass is all Wells can do, I will take it.

Illinois State and Indiana State play good defense (NDSU goes without saying.)  A true freshman INEVITABLY will struggle some in those environments.  That is when he must get assistance from the rest of his teammates on offense and defense.

I agree!  It is remarkable how accurate some of his passes are, especially the deep ones.

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
I am extremely pleased with Wells thus far and understand he will make FRESHMAN mistakes. Will he struggle against our remaining opponents? He very well might but no QB let alone player is perfect. Paladin, I'm still searching for your Hall of Fame plaque or write up for either dominating a D-1 sport as a coach or player but I'm having trouble finding it. Your Coyotes will have their hands full.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
First road game in front of a tough crowd, and he passed the test.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
The great Dr. Lou Holtz has said:
"It's never as good as it seems...and it's never as bad as it seems either."

As such, I have been quite impressed with the positive attributes being discussed about Hunter Wells.  He has made some great throws...and some not so great.  We were lucky that a few passes were not picked off at SDSU which could have led to a loss.  They did not and we will take the W!  I have really liked how you can see him going through each receiver progressively and knowing when to dump it off amid pressure.  However, there will be times when staring them down could lead to the INTs and almost has.  I can say that I am impressed to date with his ability.  However, if the INTs came I don't see if fans would notice the positives that they do now...nor would I have used the word "impressed".

I believe that he has a better fit to the offense at this time then Dante as he can continue on with similar play calling that was here for the last four years with Hess.  I think Dante is a good ball player, but for the team as a whole...it may have been for the best that the reigns are in the hands of a player with similar attributes as our prior QB.  Moving to an entire different offense from the last four years could be catastrophic short to mid-term.  Easy example...see what Rich Rod did to Michigan.

Hunter...keep in the study lounge, the film room and the weight room and you will see success here as a Guin.

Z

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
A Stat that I find interesting is Wells leads the M.V.F.C. in passing efficiency over Carson Wentz of N.D.S.U. 169.7 to 149.4  that's one reason why he is 4-0 as the starter. The bottom line is he is a winner and finds a way to win. It was a rough go for the most part against South Dakota for Wells. I attribute some of that to the weather conditions and our wide-outs needed to create more separation from the defenders and some of it was solely on Wells. This is the type of game Wells needed to help him down the stretch. This offense is very young and will be VERY strong for years to come. It should be exciting for all penguins fans on the defensive side of the ball as well. There is know excuse for us not to challenge for a M.V.C.F. championship year in and year out !!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »
He has done a very nice job!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Here is mine.  If what we have seen so far from Wells indicates a bad arm, I will take it. 

Wells' arm is so bad that sometimes he can't hang on to the ball--it flies downfield and fortunately there are some receivers smart enough to grab it and cover for his inadequacies.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
Pally's computer must be down again, lol.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Here is mine.  If what we have seen so far from Wells indicates a bad arm, I will take it. 

Wells' arm is so bad that sometimes he can't hang on to the ball--it flies downfield and fortunately there are some receivers smart enough to grab it and cover for his inadequacies.

Wells' passing stats would not count since they were wind-aided.